An Old School Catholic Message Board

Laying Of Hands

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

What is the Purpose of Laying on of Hands? Who is able to Lay on of Hands and Why? Is there Early Church Father Teachings on this? Scriptural? Any other useful information?

Hinter dem Horizont

[font="Arial"][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i]
[/i][/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i]
[/i][/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#000000"][size="3"]There are numerous purposes of the laying of hands. In [/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][i][color="#000000"][size="3"]Hebrews 6:2 speak of a laying on of hands for the purpose of bestowing the Holy Spirit. In the verse, confirmation is listed so we could assume that this is one of the reasons for the laying on of hands. Laying on of hands for CONFIRMATION is also mentioned in "The Apostolic Tradition" written by Hippolytus in chapters 21-22: [/size][/color][/i][/i][/size][/color][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i] [/i][/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#000000"][size="3"]"The bishop, imposing his hand on them, shall make an invocation, saying, 'O Lord God, who made them worthy of the remission of sins through the Holy Spirit's washing unto rebirth, send into them your grace so that they may serve you according to your will, for there is glory to you, to the Father and the Son with the Holy Spirit, in the holy Church, both now and through the ages of ages. Amen.' Then, pouring the consecrated oil into his hand and imposing it on the head of the baptized, he shall say, 'I anoint you with holy oil in the Lord, the Father Almighty, and Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit.' Signing them on the forehead, he shall kiss them and say, 'The Lord be with you.' He that has been signed shall say, 'And with your spirit.' Thus shall he do to each"[/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][/i][/i][/size][/color][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i] [/i][/size][/color][/i][/i][/size][/color]

In the "Apostolic Constitution", written in 390, it says: "O Bishop, just as receive a pagan after you have instructed and baptized him, likewise let everyone join in prayers for this penitent man and restore him to his former place among the flock, through the imposition of hands". Thus, in this old text, the imposition of hands is for the purpose of forgiveness. Moreover, according to Cyprian, a sinner may receive "the right of communion through the imposition of hand of the bishop" which, once again, is for the purpose of forgiveness of sins.

[color="#333333"][size="2"][i][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i] [/i][/size][/color][/i][/i][/size][/color] [color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#000000"][size="3"][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#000000"][size="3"]Other purposes are shown in several books of the bible. In Genesis 48: 14, which features Jacob laying hands on his grandsons, the lying on of hands is for bestowing blessings. [/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#000000"][size="3"]In Leviticus 16: 21, where the high priest lays hands on the sacrificed goat, the laying on of hands is for sacrificial purposes. Furthermore, in Leviticus, the laying on of hands is for the repentance of sins. For example, in Chapter 1 verse 4, it says "And he shall [b]put his hand upon the head[/b] of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him. That is, forgiveness of sins through the act of laying on of hands. Another example of this in the same book, 3:2, it says "and [b]he shall lay his hand upon the head[/b] of his offering, and kill it at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation..." . Through these two examples, we may assume that the imposition of hands is related to forgiveness of sins by sacrifice. [/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][/size][/color][/i][/size][/color]
[color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i] [/i][/size][/color][/i][/size][/color]
[color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i] [/i][/size][/color][/i][/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="2"][i][i][color="#333333"][size="2"][i][color="#000000"][size="3"]Throughout His ministry, Jesus would make the act of laying on of hands for the purpose of HEALING. In Mark 6:5 He healed people by laying His hands on them. In Luke 4:40 He healed all of the ill in Capernaum by laying on of hands. Jesus, furthermore, uses the act of laying on of hands for BLESSING. [/size][/color][/i][/size][/color][/i][color="#000000"][size="3"]He blessed the children in Matthew 19:13-15 and He blessed his disciples, lifting up His hands in Luke 24:50. For ordinations, the laying on of hands is featured in Numbers 8:10 and 27:16-23. And also in Deuteronomy 34:9. [/size][/color][/i][/size][/color]

[/font][color="#333333"][font="Georgia, serif"][i][color="#333333"][font="Georgia, serif"][i][size="2"]
[/size][/i][/font][/color][/i][/font][/color][color="#333333"][font="Georgia, serif"][size="2"][i]
[/i][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="Georgia, serif"] [/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="Georgia, serif"] [/font][/color]

Edited by Hinter dem Horizont

Hinter dem Horizont

Canon law states, for the instance of Baptism, where the laying on of hands can occur, this:

[i] 861 §1. The ordinary minister of baptism is a bishop, a presbyter, or a deacon, without prejudice to the prescript of [url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P1U.HTM#2.2.2.3.6.0.530"][b]⇒[/b][/url] can. 530, n. 1.[/i]

[i]§2. When an ordinary minister is absent or impeded, a catechist or another person designated for this function by the local ordinary, or in a case of necessity any person with the right intention, confers baptism licitly. Pastors of souls, especially the pastor of a parish, are to be concerned that the Christian faithful are taught the correct way to baptize.[/i]

[i]Can. 862 Except in a case of necessity, no one is permitted to confer baptism in the territory of another without the required permission, not even upon his own subjects.[/i]

[i]Can. 863 The baptism of adults, at least of those who have completed their fourteenth year, is to be deferred to the diocesan bishop so that he himself administers it if he has judged it Expedient.[/i]

Very similar descriptions occur for other sacraments such as confirmation, ordination, and last rites. So, ideally it is the priest, deacon, or bishop that is prescribed to laying on of hands.