An Old School Catholic Message Board

Everything Catholic

thessalonian

I have a statement I would like to see discussed.

Everything AUTHENTICALLY Catholic brings us closer to salvation, everything not Catholic works against our salvation.

Just curious.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1297909674' post='2213146']
Except for the stuff that calls itself Catholic that really isn't.
[/quote]

Fixed.

What about morally neutral actions? Are we talking only elements of faith, or elements of faith and actions with moral elements? Or can we include neutral actions?

Not just talking morality. Is there such thing as something that is religiously nuetral?

Edited by thessalonian

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1297990648' post='2213445']
Not just talking morality. Is there such thing as something that is religiously nuetral?
[/quote]
Pie.

Sorry... :) To provide a serious answer, though... Maybe it's our intentions or reactions to something that seems to be religiously neutral that matters. Like the pie!! It's a rather innocuous treat, really. But do you approach the pie with gluttony? Does it tempt you in a way that would cause you to treat another person in an uncharitable manner?

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' timestamp='1298003403' post='2213481']
Pie.

Sorry... :) To provide a serious answer, though... Maybe it's our intentions or reactions to something that seems to be religiously neutral that matters. Like the pie!! It's a rather innocuous treat, really. But do you approach the pie with gluttony? Does it tempt you in a way that would cause you to treat another person in an uncharitable manner?
[/quote]

I would lie to you to divert your attention and then gulp down your pie ravenously right after eating my piece of pie, as long as its cherry, apple or pumpkin. I would slap you unconscious for a piece of strawberry pie. :blink:

Does that count for anything uncharitable? :cry2:

ed

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1297909209' post='2213141']

Everything AUTHENTICALLY Catholic brings us closer to salvation, everything not Catholic works against our salvation.

Just curious.
[/quote]

define authentically catholic?

I do not believe that anything is neutral. A good piece of pie points me toward God. That is for sure. 6 pieces would point me away however.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1298052601' post='2213627']
I do not believe that anything is neutral. A good piece of pie points me toward God. That is for sure. 6 pieces would point me away however.
[/quote]
What about choosing Cheerios over Corn Flakes?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1298056528' post='2213639']
What about choosing Cheerios over Corn Flakes?
[/quote]

One can still contemplate God in reflecting on being able to make such choices. I do not believe there is anything in this life that does not point toward or direct us away from God with some reflection. Now surely we can go about making mindless choices, not thinking about God, but I do believe that in everything we can marvel at his goodness. In everything we can neglect him. If we fail to acknowledge him in some thing or contemplate him it seems to me we have missed an opportunity to grow.

Edited by thessalonian

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1297909209' post='2213141']

Just curious.
[/quote]

I think your statement is aiming towards something good; however, it seems to me to be lacking. I think St. Ignatius Loyola put it best in his writings concerning the foundation of the Society of Jesus.

"[b]The First Principle and Foundation[/b]
The human person is created to praise, reverence, and serve God Our Lord, and by doing so, to save his or her soul.

All other things on the face of the earth are created for human beings in order to help them pursue the end for which they are created.

It follows from this that one must use other created things, in so far as they help towards one's end, and free oneself from them, in so far as they are obstacles to one's end....

Thus, as far as we are concerned, we should not want health more than illness, wealth more than poverty, fame more than disgrace, a long life more than a short one, and similarly for all the rest, but we should desire and choose only what helps us more towards the end for which we are created."

[quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' timestamp='1298076932' post='2213726']
I think your statement is aiming towards something good; however, it seems to me to be lacking. I think St. Ignatius Loyola put it best in his writings concerning the foundation of the Society of Jesus.

"[b]The First Principle and Foundation[/b]
The human person is created to praise, reverence, and serve God Our Lord, and by doing so, to save his or her soul.

All other things on the face of the earth are created for human beings in order to help them pursue the end for which they are created.

It follows from this that one must use other created things, in so far as they help towards one's end, and free oneself from them, in so far as they are obstacles to one's end....

Thus, as far as we are concerned, we should not want health more than illness, wealth more than poverty, fame more than disgrace, a long life more than a short one, and similarly for all the rest, but we should desire and choose only what helps us more towards the end for which we are created."
[/quote]

A\/\/esome. St. Ignatius pray for us!

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1298069165' post='2213698']
One can still contemplate God in reflecting on being able to make such choices. I do not believe there is anything in this life that does not point toward or direct us away from God with some reflection. Now surely we can go about making mindless choices, not thinking about God, but I do believe that in everything we can marvel at his goodness. In everything we can neglect him. If we fail to acknowledge him in some thing or contemplate him it seems to me we have missed an opportunity to grow.
[/quote]
You can certainly contemplate God in having the choice, but one choice or the other is morally neutral. Cheerios versus Corn Flakes is a morally neutral choice, though the choice itself is good.