An Old School Catholic Message Board

Peter Rebuked By Paul

Livin_the_MASS

infinitelord1

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1297571694' post='2211872']
I like it too.

Though some of my rebukes on this board have been - "We've got 2,000 years of tradition that says you are wrong," . . .

Especially on a debate board, nobody should be that rude!
[/quote]

That is the truth though. Tradition says you are wrong. Accept it. Stop being so stubborn. :)

Edited by infinitelord1

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1297574155' post='2211888']
That is the truth though. Tradition says you are wrong. Accept it. Stop being so stubborn. :)
[/quote]

LOL!

That made my day!

Thanks.

infinitelord1

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1297574706' post='2211890']
LOL!

That made my day!

Thanks.
[/quote]

When was it that I was rude to you by the way? Because I recall you making a comment, "They can be even worse to work things out than a Catholic". Yeah I can see how that may spark some remarks out of me that may seem rude.

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1297574827' post='2211891']
When was it that I was rude to you by the way? Because I recall you making a comment, "They can be even worse to work things out than a Catholic". Yeah I can see how that may spark some remarks out of me that may seem rude.
[/quote]

Not you. When I was discussing demonic possession, and I made it known that I believe the only power Satan has is lies - he may convince people to do the wrong thing, but a person can still choose not to do what is being suggested, I got that a lot.

Our traditions say you are wrong, and that Satan really does have control over the person's body and they can't do anything but that. . .

I wouldn't back down from this, I think such stories are great for Hollywood movies and TV shows, but a demon can't take over your body and force it to do things you don't want to do.

infinitelord1

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1297575179' post='2211892']
Not you. When I was discussing demonic possession, and I made it known that I believe the only power Satan has is lies - he may convince people to do the wrong thing, but a person can still choose not to do what is being suggested, I got that a lot.

Our traditions say you are wrong, and that Satan really does have control over the person's body and they can't do anything but that. . .

I wouldn't back down from this, I think such stories are great for Hollywood movies and TV shows, but a demon can't take over your body and force it to do things you don't want to do.
[/quote]

Explain to me what your traditions are...and trace them back historically.

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1297578468' post='2211904']
Explain to me what your traditions are...and trace them back historically.
[/quote]

I have scripture that traces itself back to the times of the apostles, and my own life experiences.

And I always evaluate every doctrine I hear - which is scriptural - Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge - [b][url="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians+14:29&version=KJV"]1 Corinthians 14:29[/url][/b] - by looking at one scripture. God doesn't give the spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and a sound mind.

On the demonic possession stuff, I rejected it because well - the idea that a demon can take over someone's body and make that body do whatever it wants, [b]to the person who has been possessed horror[/b] (that is fear which God doesn't give the spirit off - imagine the idea that God can take down your defense at any time and allow Satan to have your way with your body - against your will - causing your body to stab people or slit people's throats, or murder people, or commit robberies - ect, ect, ect - wouldn't that scare you!), doesn't sound very sound to me. It makes for great TV shows and movies, but I don't believe a demon can truly do that. The person must accept it's influence to that degree. I was possessed by a religious demon for almost 9 years, and trust me - I had the ability to decide things - but it would influence my actions by giving me pleasure for following what it wanted me to do - and so I continued to submit to it because I thought it was God giving me joy - but I was still in control, and when good Christian friends of mine told me that was what was happening, I had the ability to pray against it and send it to hell. See the subtle difference between my life experience and what Catholic Church says is demonic possession. According to them, I shouldn't have been able to pray that day because the demon was in charge. . .

So I have an obligation to not accept that doctrine because it is a fearful doctrine that doesn't make much sense. But my thoughtful rebuke of that doctrine was only meet with - our church has 2,000 years of that doctrine so you are wrong by some people. Sure, there were a couple of people who happened to agree with me that it is only emotional influence causing people to do evil things, but there were others who were outright said I was wrong and wouldn't back down.

Edited by MarkKurallSchuenemann

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1297572166' post='2211876']
:knight: :deadhorse: :alone: :nun2: :bible: :angel: :tv: :anyone: :noevil: :sam:
[/quote]

LoL What? Are you having a cow of a day dairygirl?

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1297575179' post='2211892']

[/quote]

How do you explain the demons that were cast into the pigs then. I know this is off topic but think about it. The men lived amoung the tombs and no one could subdue them. (Not normal human behavior)
Then Christ, asks the demons name so just in this should tell us that the person is not in control but rather the demon because he didn't ask the man his name because he (they) were not in control of themselves. And when casting them out the herd jumps into a river. That is not normal swine behavior. The demons took possession of them and controled their bodies and threw them off in the river.

infinitelord1

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1297615814' post='2211963']
I have scripture that traces itself back to the times of the apostles, and my own life experiences.

And I always evaluate every doctrine I hear - which is scriptural - Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge - [b][url="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians+14:29&version=KJV"]1 Corinthians 14:29[/url][/b] - by looking at one scripture. God doesn't give the spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and a sound mind.

On the demonic possession stuff, I rejected it because well - the idea that a demon can take over someone's body and make that body do whatever it wants, [b]to the person who has been possessed horror[/b] (that is fear which God doesn't give the spirit off - imagine the idea that God can take down your defense at any time and allow Satan to have your way with your body - against your will - causing your body to stab people or slit people's throats, or murder people, or commit robberies - ect, ect, ect - wouldn't that scare you!), doesn't sound very sound to me. It makes for great TV shows and movies, but I don't believe a demon can truly do that. The person must accept it's influence to that degree. I was possessed by a religious demon for almost 9 years, and trust me - I had the ability to decide things - but it would influence my actions by giving me pleasure for following what it wanted me to do - and so I continued to submit to it because I thought it was God giving me joy - but I was still in control, and when good Christian friends of mine told me that was what was happening, I had the ability to pray against it and send it to hell. See the subtle difference between my life experience and what Catholic Church says is demonic possession. According to them, I shouldn't have been able to pray that day because the demon was in charge. . .

So I have an obligation to not accept that doctrine because it is a fearful doctrine that doesn't make much sense. But my thoughtful rebuke of that doctrine was only meet with - our church has 2,000 years of that doctrine so you are wrong by some people. Sure, there were a couple of people who happened to agree with me that it is only emotional influence causing people to do evil things, but there were others who were outright said I was wrong and wouldn't back down.
[/quote]

Scripture is good. But I think that if you don't have historical evidence backing it up or in other words proof showing that the earliest Christians understood Scripture in a certain way...then I think its fair to question the credibility of that interpretation.

Furthermore, I see a lot of Protestants interpreting scripture in certain ways, but when I take a look at it...A lot of times I can debunk their interpretation simply by reading the surrounding passages and getting the overall picture.

Edited by infinitelord1

infinitelord1

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1297643915' post='2212077']
more on cyprian and the popes
http://www.christian-history.org/catholic-apologists.html
[/quote]

Thats weak dairygirl. Peter ended up in Rome...and lived there until his death. Apostolic Succession (which is clearly found in Scripture) tells us that once something happens to one of them...then they are replaced.

So when it came to replacing Peter...it would make complete sense that someone in Rome would replace Him. Otherwise, they would have had to take all sorts of time to send out letters to all the Bishops throughout the entire World, and call them all to Rome and have an election. Maybe not like this, but something BIG would have had to happen similar to this. Plus there would be some sort of record of it (which there isnt because it didn't happen).

Peter was most likely replaced by somebody in Rome...I believe he was...and that same position that Peter held "The Rock" has been based out of Rome since Peter himself. Historical evidence shows very very strong indications of this.