An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Legalistation/decriminalisation Of Cannabis.

ParadiseFound

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1298312600' post='2214436']
PS - I always find it ironic how a lot of liberals who are all about pot legalization are also in favor of any action taken against "big tobacco."
[/quote]
Yeah, that is weird. My first thought was that maybe they just hate the corporations, but no, I was a smoker not too long ago and I remember the attitude: exposing someone to secondhand smoke is like spraying them in the face with DDT. Also, the drug cartels aren't exactly humanitarian organizations so there would still be a contradiction. Perhaps this is a testament to the effectiveness of propaganda and the extent to which our perceptions are arbitrarily shaped. Human beings are not particularly rational creatures as much as we like to imagine otherwise.

Cannabis needs its own propaganda campaign. Hmm... I think in the early 20th century it was considered to be morally corrupting and sexually dangerous. Your sons will become whoremongers and your daughters loose women if you don't teach them to despise marijuana! Now I wonder if the popular image of weed is that it will make you a dopey deadbeat; a relatively benign public image for a drug. Marijuana kills! Your lungs will instantly turn into oozing, tumorous pits of filth. Just blowing the smoke around someone will KILL THEM you sick jerk! Yes, we need to do for weed what has been done for tobacco. :wall:

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1298339488' post='2214532']
I'm not against tobacco either.
I won't smoke it because I think it's unhealthy and pretty gross, but I won't tell anyone else not to smoke.
[/quote]
I was talking about liberals, not anarchists.

Liberals are hypocrites. Anarchists are just plain whack. (But I still love you, Nihil)

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1298383707' post='2214588']
Yeah, that is weird. My first thought was that maybe they just hate the corporations, but no, I was a smoker not too long ago and I remember the attitude: exposing someone to secondhand smoke is like spraying them in the face with DDT. Also, the drug cartels aren't exactly humanitarian organizations so there would still be a contradiction. Perhaps this is a testament to the effectiveness of propaganda and the extent to which our perceptions are arbitrarily shaped. Human beings are not particularly rational creatures as much as we like to imagine otherwise.

Cannabis needs its own propaganda campaign. Hmm... I think in the early 20th century it was considered to be morally corrupting and sexually dangerous. Your sons will become whoremongers and your daughters loose women if you don't teach them to despise marijuana! Now I wonder if the popular image of weed is that it will make you a dopey deadbeat; a relatively benign public image for a drug. Marijuana kills! Your lungs will instantly turn into oozing, tumorous pits of filth. Just blowing the smoke around someone will KILL THEM you sick jerk! Yes, we need to do for weed what has been done for tobacco. :wall:
[/quote]

lawl.

What's hard in my opinion is finding the truth amidst all this propaganda. One side acts like inhaling marijuana is like participating in a satanic ritual and the other side is like "hey man marijuana will allow you to get a masters degree in physics adn save teh world!" I'm calling for honest research of the drug without all of these ridiculous biases.

I also think this resentment towards mary jane could have its roots in racism, which is kinda lame.

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1298530392' post='2215181']
lawl.

What's hard in my opinion is finding the truth amidst all this propaganda. One side acts like inhaling marijuana is like participating in a satanic ritual and the other side is like "hey man marijuana will allow you to get a masters degree in physics adn save teh world!" I'm calling for honest research of the drug without all of these ridiculous biases.

I also think this resentment towards mary jane could have its roots in racism, which is kinda lame.
[/quote]
I have no bias in that particular sense. I think smoking anything is kinda gross, although I have considered exceptions for pipe tobacco. I just think it's fine if someone else wants to use it.
Same reason I won't drink wine coolers. Ew, right?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1298530754' post='2215182']
I have no bias in that particular sense. I think smoking anything is kinda gross, although I have considered exceptions for pipe tobacco. I just think it's fine if someone else wants to use it.
[/quote]

Yes you look at the issue in a balanced way. A rare find! Smoking is kinda gross, but in moderation I think it's ok. Also marijuana, as well as tobacco and pretty much any other herb, can be vaporized rather than smoked so that irritants such as tar and other carcinogenic yuckiness, and still maintain the same taste/effects.

[quote]Same reason I won't drink wine coolers. Ew, right?[/quote]

I think this has more to do with your y chromosome :)

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1298537734' post='2215187']

I think this has more to do with your y chromosome :)
[/quote]
:o Sexist!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1298571900' post='2215267']
:o Sexist!
[/quote]

She's right. You're blessed.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1298594418' post='2215379']
what is cannabis?
[/quote]

[url="http://tinyurl.com/dlsefn"]Cannabis[/url]

~Sternhauser