An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rare Bad Apples Converge

Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296946297' post='2209101']
What cop? Do you carry a cop with you? You were lucky that time. I don't think how you realize how most violent encounters go down. Street thugs don't particularly enjoy resistance. They're cowards. That's why they're thugs.

Again: what cop? Do groups of 7 thugs usually hang around in the vicinity of cops? Not hardly. Again, you were [i]lucky.[/i]

Four armed individuals try to invade a home. One man sends them scurrying away like rats with his weapon. This is the way it usually happens. Contrary to your "taking his gun away," he shot them and they ran like rodents. And the cops did NOT catch them. Just as they don't capture at least 40% of bank robbers.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0QoqRuEdR0[/media]

Bernie Goetz is another decent example. As he was approached by four young thugs with screwdrivers, he shot them. Contrary to your "taking the gun away," he shot them.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

How many men have you shot, Stern?

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296868387' post='2208885']
[url="http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/77350.html"]http://www.lewrockwe. ..ives/77350.html[/url]

5 cops kicking a prone suspect immediately after he puts his hands on top of his head to surrender? Just a few bad apples. It's so rare when one cop does it, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get 5 cops on tape being thugs. Except that it's not. Unless it was filmed on a police dashcam. Those routinely "malfunction" at the most inopportune times.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

You have statistics to back this up, of course.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1296947856' post='2209111']
You have statistics to back this up, of course.
[/quote]

Agents of the State keep damning statistics about their actions to a minimum. There are dozens, if not hundreds of citeable cases, however.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1296947389' post='2209106']
When I was in DC, getting a cop was easy as flagging down a taxi.
It did not take them 9 minutes fyi. more like 2.
[/quote]

Those seven thugs couldn't have beaten you down in two minutes? Sounds like you were never in harm's way to begin with, with unambitious thugs such as that. As I said, they're cowards. The amazing response time you enjoyed somehow doesn't get in the way of DC's astronomical violent crime rate, which I'm sure you realize is among the worst in the country.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1296947789' post='2209109']
How many men have you shot, Stern?
[/quote]

Haven't had to shoot any yet, thankfully. I don't unnecessarily put myself in dangerous situations.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296948285' post='2209116']
Those seven thugs couldn't have beaten you down in two minutes? Sounds like you were never in harm's way to begin with, with unambitious thugs such as that. As I said, they're cowards. The amazing response time you enjoyed somehow doesn't get in the way of DC's astronomical violent crime rate, which I'm sure you realize is among the worst in the country?

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

When drug dealers get in trouble, they dont call the cops

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296948024' post='2209113']
Agents of the State keep damning statistics about their actions to a minimum. There are dozens, if not hundreds of citeable cases, however.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

I'll take that as a 'no'. Although those stats are probably readily available. I managed to find, albeit imperfect, states kept by the Russians on terrorist attacks in the Northern Caucasus. I assure you that the FSB is, on the whole, far more secretive and brutal than American police departments. If I can find those stats then you could find the stats I'm asking about if you were willing to put some serious effort into it. If you don't, given how much you beesh about the police, I suspect that it is either because you are too lazy to find them (unlikely), you are too stupid to find them (which is obviously not the case), or you simply, like Era, you simply prefer to argue narratives rather than hard evidence.

Stern:

What I am hearing you say is you have never needed the cops, don't live or work in an area where cops are needed, have not had interaction with the cops ...
I think you should form your opinion about cops on more than theory, 2nd or 3rd hand reports, or biased media.
You should spend some time with cops. We tend to despise whomever we consider "other."

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1296948478' post='2209120']
When drug dealers get in trouble, they dont call the cops
[/quote]

I actually just got back from DC. An Egyptian friend asked me to come to a march against Mubarak. I went so I would finally have a chance to see the White House.

Several hundred yelling Arabs marching down the street and somehow the intrinsically thuggish police managed to keep their sadism in check as they pretended to protect the ability of the protesters to march through the street.

I've only had to call the police once and I ended up telling them I had the situation under control before they arrived. But whenever I'm going through a bad part of town late at night I'm pleased to see a cop car stationed around. No matter what their response time may be I always know where to run to in case I really get in over my head. Of course, if one tends to avoid getting into dangerous situations the usefulness of police officers may be less obvious.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1296948526' post='2209121']
I'll take that as a 'no'. Although those stats are probably readily available. I managed to find, albeit imperfect, states kept by the Russians on terrorist attacks in the Northern Caucasus. I assure you that the FSB is, on the whole, far more secretive and brutal than American police departments. If I can find those stats then you could find the stats I'm asking about if you were willing to put some serious effort into it. If you don't, given how much you beesh about the police, I suspect that it is either because you are too lazy to find them (unlikely), you are too stupid to find them (which is obviously not the case), or you simply, like Era, you simply prefer to argue narratives rather than hard evidence.
[/quote]

Hard statistics would not change your mind, any more than archaeological evidence would convince an atheist that the Bible's historical accuracy was proof of the existence of God. My searching for those statistics would be, for me, as necessary and efficacious as searching for documents about the brutalities committed by the Soviets in Hungary.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1296948919' post='2209124']
I actually just got back from DC. An Egyptian friend asked me to come to a march against Mubarak. I went so I would finally have a chance to see the White House.

Several hundred yelling Arabs marching down the street and somehow the intrinsically thuggish police managed to keep their sadism in check as they pretended to protect the ability of the protesters to march through the street.

I've only had to call the police once and I ended up telling them I had the situation under control before they arrived. But whenever I'm going through a bad part of town late at night I'm pleased to see a cop car stationed around. No matter what their response time may be I always know where to run to in case I really get in over my head. Of course, if one tends to avoid getting into dangerous situations the usefulness of police officers may be less obvious.
[/quote]

I wandered into the D.C. 2008 march against the war on Iraq, quite by accident. I was sure that if they only had a few more bongos and guitars, that surely the war would be over in a couple of days. It didn't take me long to realize that it was beginning to smell ugly, and I got out of the area. Within a couple of hours, dozens were arrested for being where the Statepolice said they couldn't be.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296949431' post='2209126']
Hard statistics would not change your mind, any more than archaeological evidence would convince an atheist that the Bible's historical accuracy was proof of the existence of God. My searching for those statistics would be, for me, as necessary and efficacious as searching for documents about the brutalities committed by the Soviets in Hungary.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Police brutality exists. We agree on this point. You are suggesting that the problem is widespread and systemic. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't know. But you are making the charge. So that leads us to an obvious question. Do you have statistics to support your charge or are you just talking out your arse?

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1296949737' post='2209131']
Police brutality exists. We agree on this point. You are suggesting that the problem is widespread and systemic. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't know. But you are making the charge. So that leads us to an obvious question. Do you have statistics to support your charge or are you just talking out your arse?
[/quote]

Would you expect the Soviet Union to keep "statistics" on how many people were "brutalized" under its reign? How would it define it? You are more intelligent than that, Hassan.

Here you go. [url="http://tinyurl.com/46thjr2"]Police Brutality Statistics[/url]

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296949731' post='2209130']
I wandered into the D.C. 2008 march against the war on Iraq, quite by accident. I was sure that if they only had a few more bongos and guitars, that surely the war would be over in a couple of days. It didn't take me long to realize that it was beginning to smell ugly, and I got out of the area. Within a couple of hours, dozens were arrested for being where the Statepolice said they couldn't be.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

The police don't decide where protesters can and can't go. The (elected) government body that grants the permit has that job and the police merely enforce the decision.