An Old School Catholic Message Board

Under What Conditions Does An Rcia Enquirer

Mark of the Cross

RCIA rules  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mark of the Cross

I need help. We have a gentleman who questions fundamental Church teachings and I'm wondering what to do. Our lead Catechists seems to be supportive of his right to question. Several times I have quoted Church documents but he has indicated that he still disagrees.

Just my two cents. Perhaps he doesn't quite grasp how it is being presented to him. Some time with a priest might help better. As a cradle catholic there are things I questioned and even disagreed with. My now SD took the time to explain them to me as far as the theological basis, the scripture backing etc.. and tied it all together to make it click.

I would say that the fact that this person is in RCIA is enough of an indication that they are open to the faith. I think they just need to find a way to truly understand the teachings that they are disagreeing with. Different people have different learning styles and different ways of understanding things.

Give him time and pray for him. In the meantime, I would suggest he bring up his questions/disagreements to a priest.

God Bless you in your work.
HB

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1296652212' post='2207719']
Just my two cents. Perhaps he doesn't quite grasp how it is being presented to him. Some time with a priest might help better. As a cradle catholic there are things I questioned and even disagreed with. My now SD took the time to explain them to me as far as the theological basis, the scripture backing etc.. and tied it all together to make it click.

I would say that the fact that this person is in RCIA is enough of an indication that they are open to the faith. I think they just need to find a way to truly understand the teachings that they are disagreeing with. Different people have different learning styles and different ways of understanding things.

Give him time and pray for him. In the meantime, I would suggest he bring up his questions/disagreements to a priest.

God Bless you in your work.
HB
[/quote]

Thanks for your input. God Bless!

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1296645520' post='2207718']
I don't get it. What are they saying exactly?
[/quote]

Case one. Hypothetical question, could Ivan Milat (Cold serial murderer) with Sincere remorse and asking God's forgiveness be forgiven and permitted to heaven. I had a discussion on it with the PP, not that I had any doubts about what my answer would be, but so I could quote someone of authority. He said he disagreed and could not accept that. Minor point I guess, maybe he will realise his error sometime. Our PP by the way said that someone who cannot see forgiveness brings a judgement on themselves.
Case two. Guess what? it's that Muslim thing again. I did a talk on 'Eternal Life' which once again I had [s]trolled[/s] trawled documents and priests to be free of doctrinal error. When I came to the part about the prospect of salvation for non Catholics in ignorance of Jesus and that our neighbours and the enemy Jesus challenges us to love includes also the Muslims, he got up in arms again and to my horror not only did one of our dumb foot in the mouth Catechists support him but during a post discussion with the head Catechist they agreed with his right to challenge and almost confirmed what he said. To make things worse a lady enquirer who apparently has taught Muslim students in the UK got very upset and virtually walked out. I have my doubts if she will return and I can't say I blame her. I suppose I will have to take it to the Priest because it's chewing away at me. I just wanted some of other peoples thoughts.

As to people asking for forgiveness, I remember a story that Father Groeschel told about someone he dealt with at their order's hospice. He was the man who had organized that protest at St. Patrick's Cathedral involving ACT-UP and condoms, and had entered the hospice when he was dying of AIDS. Fr. Groeschel said that in the end he went for reconciliation and died in a state of grace. He also said that doesn't absolve him from having to spend some time in Purgatory. He actually said that the man would be on the clean-up crew in Purgatory, but he truthfully believed he would eventually enter Heaven.

I voted for the first option as I feel that even a catechist should be able to make the call alone on the first part of the question. To not recognise the redemption of a fully penentent sinner, I take this to mean a sinner which has received the Sacrament of Absolution and Penance by defintion, is to deny the power and place of that Sacrament. This denial of the Sacrament should automatically determine them outside of the Church, anything less would be akin to allowing protestant faiths Communion. I would still refer them to a priest but it seems obvious that for whatever reason although they are open to the Communion of Saints they are not ready to fully accept it.

ed

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1296802130' post='2208569']
I voted for the first option as I feel that even a catechist should be able to make the call alone on the first part of the question. To not recognise the redemption of a fully penentent sinner, I take this to mean a sinner which has received the Sacrament of Absolution and Penance by defintion, is to deny the power and place of that Sacrament. This denial of the Sacrament should automatically determine them outside of the Church, anything less would be akin to allowing protestant faiths Communion. I would still refer them to a priest but it seems obvious that for whatever reason although they are open to the Communion of Saints they are not ready to fully accept it.

ed
[/quote]

Thanks for the info and thanks to those who voted, appreciated. I think I'll present teh results and comments to the team at a meeting. God Bless!