An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Catholic Church

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

why do ya suppose that the catholic church, or anything catholic related really, except Jesus as a being of light, isn't mentioned in near death experiences much if at all?

www.nderf.org
www.near-death.com

arguably the closest one gets is that 'religion doesn't really matter', which could mean the cc as a religion doesn't matter, ultimately one's heart is what matters even as the CC might teach, the CC doesn't count as a 'religion' etc.

is it cause things of faith are best achieved by just that, faith, and something too objective telling us about the next life is messing it up, and so not all the secrets are given?

you'd think it'd be mentioned more if it's what it says it is.

the being of light and references to Jesus are mentioned a lot.

Watch this: [url="http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/vod/SW94v1"]http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/vod/SW94v1
[/url]
So powerful and beautiful.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1296439546' post='2206875']
I didn't see Jesus. I did hear my father's voice. Maybe you only see Jesus if you aren't going to "wake up."
[/quote]

You had a near death experience? Father? Do you mean your earthly Dad or God the Father?

There is an EWTN program "Mother Angelica Live" and an episode called "A Priest Experiences Judgement" with Father Steven Scheier. Tape V238

He talks about dying in mortal sin, as I recall, and he heard both Jesus and the Blessed Virgin talking, and then he was sent back to live. Assuming it is all true and not in his head... It seems common to just hear, but not see God. I think because you have to be a total purified Saint to be able to have the Beautific Vision -- Heaven, seeing God face-to-face. It's just not possible. Most are probably on their way to Purgatory, where you can't behold God fully.

I believe it was the Diary of Saint Faustina that says Jesus said He asks everyone just before they die if they want to choose Him or reject Him. He gives everyone a last chance.

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1296440812' post='2206884']
You had a near death experience? Father? Do you mean your earthly Dad or God the Father?

[/quote]
My Dad. As I was losing consciousnesses, I know I heard his voice. He'd been dead many years, but I hadn't forgotten the sound of his voice.

I believe it was the Diary of Saint Faustina that says Jesus said He asks everyone just before they die if they want to choose Him or reject Him. He gives everyone a last chance.
[/quote]
Really ?

[/quote]
Really ?

infinitelord1

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1296443121' post='2206900']
My Dad. As I was losing consciousnesses, I know I heard his voice. He'd been dead many years, but I hadn't forgotten the sound of his voice.
[/quote]

Cool.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1296443632' post='2206904']
Really ?
[/quote]

Have a read over this article [size="2"]"Is There a 'One Last Chance' to be Saved?"
[url="http://thedivinemercy.org/news/story.php?NID=2565"]http://thedivinemercy.org/news/story.php?NID=2565[/url]

You know, the first time I heard that, I thought, "thank God, if something ever happened to my soul, I'd just turn and make it to eternal salvation." But the problem is... everyone CHOOSES where they want to go. Why on earth would someone CHOOSE hell, the place where Saint Teresa of Avila said the worst suffering is the despair (because you are without God)....forever! The problem is the people get ATTACHED to sin, and it gets harder and harder to break from it. It clouds your mind so you cannot see God clearly, and realize this amesome, wonderful, all-loving God that you can have forever, and enjoy with loved ones and Saints in Heaven. When your mind is all messed up, your decision can go for Hell, because you don't want to let go of sin. Choosing sin over God, means Hell, if it's mortal.

It's scary, and that's why it is sooo important to strive for holiness, breaking attachments to sin, fighting pride which is the leader of sins. I fear for those in the mentality of "I'll change in my older years/deathbed." You hope and think you can, but once you are so attached and set in your ways/hardened, even when God asks you, you could easily ask for Hell. Scary.[/size]

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1296443121' post='2206900']
[/quote]

Wow. Did he say anything of significance?

I know the loved one I would love to hear at my passing... The one that would give me such comfort, peace, joy and love.

Edited by JoyfulLife

[font="Arial"][size="2"]Christ did not come to establish a religion. However, he did establish a Church. So I think your question is not sound if I must hold religion and Jesus as synonymous.[/size][/font]

Edited by Papist

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1296495384' post='2207028']
Wow. Did he say anything of significance?

I know the loved one I would love to hear at my passing... The one that would give me such comfort, peace, joy and love.
[/quote]
As I was being hurt, I was trying to say the Hail Mary, but could only remember the first line. I heard my father finish it for me.

Mark of the Cross

I believe it was the [b]Diary[/b] of Saint Faustina that says Jesus said He asks everyone just before they die if they want to choose Him or reject Him. He gives everyone a last chance.
[/quote]
LOL I read that as [b]Dairy[/b]. Been trawling too many of dairies posts I guess. Just deserves!

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1296439546' post='2206875']
I didn't see Jesus. I did hear my father's voice. Maybe you only see Jesus if you aren't going to "wake up."
[/quote]

Not so! A man who was attacked with a machete in East Timor saw Jesus standing beside him. He recovered, I think! Must have! How else could he have told it.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1296501511' post='2207095']
As I was being hurt, I was trying to say the Hail Mary, but could only remember the first line. I heard my father finish it for me.
[/quote]

They say our loved ones in Purgatory have powerful prayers for us. Though he could be in Heaven, who knows...

That is so a w esome. You two were very close, I take it?

Curious, was he praying it very meditatively, slowly, lovingly, earnestly?

Edited by JoyfulLife