An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Many Priests Experience Same Sex Attraction?

infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1296362782' post='2206608']
I'm reading things saying that as high as 50% U.S. Priests.
[/quote]

that's definitely false.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1296358782' post='2206589']
Do we know?
[/quote]

I don't understand why it matters if a priest experiences same sex attractions. It would seem that while in seminary, all men have to learn to deal with their sexual attractions and understand how the desires that are natural to the human person fit in with the priestly vocation God has given them. This is true of men who experience same sex attraction as well as opposite sex attraction. So why does it matter which one they experience? We should pray for our priests anyway. I do not see how this has any bearing on anything.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' timestamp='1296373782' post='2206644']
I don't understand why it matters if a priest experiences same sex attractions. It would seem that while in seminary, all men have to learn to deal with their sexual attractions and understand how the desires that are natural to the human person fit in with the priestly vocation God has given them. This is true of men who experience same sex attraction as well as opposite sex attraction. So why does it matter which one they experience? We should pray for our priests anyway. I do not see how this has any bearing on anything.
[/quote]

Thank you for saying this. It's exactly what I thought as well.

It's basically analagous to asking if a doctor, college student, proffessor if they experience same sex attractions.

Entirely Irrelevant.

[/quote]
Being a disordered inclination, I think it's reasonable to imagine that SSA is more onerous on the individual, and considering that the individual is already in a place of moral authority, I believe their cross will be heavier than we might otherwise assume.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296405433' post='2206703']
Being a disordered inclination, I think it's reasonable to imagine that SSA is more onerous on the individual, and considering that the individual is already in a place of moral authority, I believe their cross will be heavier than we might otherwise assume.
[/quote]

It would seem that all sexual attraction, having the same force within the body, would be a cross for all priests. However, being around mostly men in seminary and the like I can also see how it would be a heavier cross to bear for them. All that being said, the question should at best be responded to with a call to prayer for our priests and for those charged with the prudent care and counseling of our seminarians and future priests.

infinitelord1

[/quote]

The reason why I asked is because I was reading things that were saying that as many as 50% of U.S. priests have same sex attraction. Plus, issues like these may cause many people to reject the Catholic Faith. Yeah I know, it sounds rediculous. But there are many people out there who would use things like this to not only reject but to attack Catholicism. Do I believe that it matters whether or not a Priest has Same Sex Attraction? Not at all. Jesus Christ came so that all of Mankind can come to know him.

infinitelord1

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296405433' post='2206703']
[/quote]

Yeah I agree. Didn't the Catholic Church release a document to the Public saying that homosexual desire is not a calling from God to become a Priest? Since there were many people who believed because they were SSA+ that they should become Priests?

And no. I am in no way implying that people who are SSA+ should not pursue a position within the Church.

Just for further reference:
[url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.html[/url]
In the light of such teaching, this Dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question[9], cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practise homosexuality, present [b]deep-seated homosexual tendencies[/b] or support the so-called "gay culture"[10].

infinitelord1

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296428387' post='2206805']
Just for further reference:
[url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.html[/url]
In the light of such teaching, this Dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question[9], cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practise homosexuality, present [b]deep-seated homosexual tendencies[/b] or support the so-called "gay culture"[10].
[/quote]

I had no idea that it is required for someone to overcome their same sex tendencies 3 years prior to ordination.

I have seen documentaries on a few priests who supported gay agenda and openly proclaimed that they were "gay". Do these Priests get removed from the Priesthood?

Edited by infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1296428849' post='2206813']
I had no idea that it is required for someone to overcome their same sex tendencies 3 years prior to ordination.
[/quote]
There's obviously some room for interpreting what "deep-seated" is supposed to mean, but the concept is pretty clear at the moment. Serious SSA would be a very obvious impediment to being able to function as a priest.

infinitelord1

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1296371333' post='2206626']
I saw the title of this thread and my first thought was...

Dumb.

:|
[/quote]

Sorry that this thread caused you to think this. I, however, do not see this as a dumb question. Do I think it invalidates an individual's Priesthood in any kind of way? Not at all. I don't see it as an issue that should be ignored though.