An Old School Catholic Message Board

Miles Christi Religious Order

tarc

(Unluckily am I not allowed to use the Phorum Search to check for existing threads.)<br><br>Hi,<br>Does anyone know Miles Christi? I'm considering joining them but am currently quite unable to check them out personally - cause Argentina, Detroit and even Rome aren't next door from where I am (south of Germany). <br><br>Thanks for any help!<br>Yours,<br>tarc<br>

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='tarc' timestamp='1295710410' post='2203036']
(Unluckily am I not allowed to use the Phorum Search to check for existing threads.)<br><br>Hi,<br> Does anyone know Miles Christi? I'm considering joining them but am currently quite unable to check them out personally - cause Argentina, Detroit and even Rome aren't next door from where I am (south of Germany). <br><br>Thanks for any help!<br>Yours,<br>tarc< br>
[/quote]

Well a search would not be very helpful as your post here is the only thing I get about Miles Christi. As for getting to know MC, I would suggest [url="http://www.mileschristi.org/en/discernment.php"]contacting them to inquire about a vocation with them[/url]. I'm sure they have e-mail :) God bless you and welcome to Phatmass!

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

They do retreats in different areas. Maybe one is closer to you?

[url="http://www.mileschristi.org/en/activities/"]Retreats[/url]

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1295715656' post='2203052']
They do retreats in different areas. Maybe one is closer to you?

[url="http://www.mileschristi.org/en/activities/"]Retreats[/url]

[/quote]

Thanks, but I'm in the south of Germany, Europe ;)

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1295713911' post='2203045']
Well a search would not be very helpful as your post here is the only thing I get about Miles Christi. As for getting to know MC, I would suggest [url="http://www.mileschristi.org/en/discernment.php"]contacting them to inquire about a vocation with them[/url]. I'm sure they have e-mail :) God bless you and welcome to Phatmass!
[/quote]

Thank you!
But I'm still too shy to mail to them ...

I know a young man who entered there, as far as I know he is still there. They seem to be a good, orthodox group. I think their retreats are [i]very[/i] structured, from what I remember. When I was a Sister, we considered asking one of the priests to come and give a retreat at our retreat house. I'll try to remember more!

Hinter dem Horizont

I'm quite interested in them as well because they are very traditional and orthodox. I haven't found videos yet but I hope I do.

Freudentaumel

[quote name='tarc' timestamp='1295710410' post='2203036']
(Unluckily am I not allowed to use the Phorum Search to check for existing threads.)<br><br>Hi,<br>Does anyone know Miles Christi? I'm considering joining them but am currently quite unable to check them out personally - cause Argentina, Detroit and even Rome aren't next door from where I am (south of Germany). <br><br>Thanks for any help!<br>Yours,<br>tarc<br>
[/quote]
They don't know Latin.
Their name means "Soldier of Christ" instead of "Soldiers of Christ".

[quote name='Freudentaumel' timestamp='1295816601' post='2203531']
They don't know Latin.
[/quote]

:lol: Maybe they meant it that way?

They seem to be aware of this: [url="http://www.mileschristi.org/?id=1"]"A horror for a mediocre, useless, and empty life is deeply rooted in every true [i]miles Christi[/i], who, looking at his Lord on the Cross, asks himself, `What have I done for Christ, what am I doing for Christ, what must I do for Christ?´" ([i]Const[/i]. 11)."[/url]

What do you think? Should I e-mail them to get the possibility to read their constitutions?

How should I address this?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='tarc' timestamp='1295818133' post='2203553']
They seem to be aware of this: [url="http://www.mileschristi.org/?id=1"]"A horror for a mediocre, useless, and empty life is deeply rooted in every true [i]miles Christi[/i], who, looking at his Lord on the Cross, asks himself, `What have I done for Christ, what am I doing for Christ, what must I do for Christ?´" ([i]Const[/i]. 11)."[/url]

What do you think? Should I e-mail them to get the possibility to read their constitutions?

How should I address this?
[/quote]

I don't think they just send out their consitiutions to people they just met, but they will certainly be pleased to send you lots of information about the community and their apostolates. Don't be shy to ask! You really only need to briefly introduce yourself and explain you are discerning a vocation with them! Easy as that!

You could also explain that you are interested in looking over their constitutions, but I think they would rather share that in formation. It's much more than just a document.

I've been on a couple of their retreats and they were very good, and yes, very structured (which sometimes like in a retreat, and sometimes not) They've been a wonderful introduction to the Spiritual Exercises for me and now I'm longing to make a longer private one, God willing. The MC retreats are pretty short (a weekend to 5 days at most on a few occasions) but they serve a lot of people this way. One of the greatest graces for me was making a General Confession of the sins of my whole life, which they encourage all retreatants to do (standard for Ignatian retreats) or to make a confession of all of your sins since your last General Confession (which takes some time of preparation - so prepare beforehand - and signing up during the retreat, etc.)

They have a great love for St. Ignatius, obviously, and his Spiritual Exercises. They always offered Mass [i]ad orientem[/i] (Ordinary Form with Latin and English .. though I wouldn't be surprised if they offer the Extraordinary Form too) and had a kneeler for everyone to receive Holy Communion at. They love Gregorian chant and traditional Catholic hymns, etc. and take great care in preparing for a beautiful Liturgy. Even during one of the retreats (over Holy Week) we had a few choir practices scheduled into the day. They have a special devotion to the Mater Dolorosa as they call her and propagate devotion to her [url="http://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/chaplets/chap18.htm"]rosary/chaplet[/url] They are very fervent but not rigid :like:

[quote name='Hinter dem Horizont' timestamp='1295733918' post='2203146']
I'm quite interested in them as well because they are very traditional and orthodox. I haven't found videos yet but I hope I do.
[/quote]
I recommend you make a retreat with them if you can to see the kind of work they do. The ones over Holy Week are especially good, as they are longer and during an especially great time to be on retreat, [url="http://www.mileschristi.org/en/activities/area.php?id=1&location=43"]http://www.mileschri...d=1&location=43[/url] though if you're not in the area it can be challenging getting home to be with family on Easter day.

• 4 months later...
Guest JerónimoVicent

I know Miles Christi; I live in Argentina were the Order's House takes place.
I've attended some congresses specially made for young people (college students) and silent retreats which are incredible. This Priests and Brothers have a formation process for about 10 years, studying humanities, philosophy and Theology (in Rome). They celebrate either ordinanry or extraordinary form of the Mass and have a special sensitivity for orthodoxy. They also learn to sing Gregorian chant, lots of Latin, etc.
In 1999 they stablished in the U.S. and since then they're working a lot in matters of spirituality, silence retreats (based on St. Ignatius of Loyola), etc. Nowadays the Formation House is near Buenos Aires, Argentina yet there are American seminarists.
If you wanna get more information, please e-mail me to jeronimo.value@gmail.com
I'm not a memeber of the Order, but I take Spiritual Direction with one of the Priests; if you wanna e-mail them, just do it!
Anyway, if you're shy or something of the sort, just e-mail me, maybe I can help you!

Pax et Bonum!

carmenchristi

[quote name='Freudentaumel' timestamp='1295816601' post='2203531']
They don't know Latin.
[/quote]

hehe... actually if you take your dictionary, you will see that miles can also mean army (a collective singular), as well as soldiery (also collective singular). I actually looked it up to double check because it seemed strange that lots of religious groups would pick out a name that is blatantly a gramatical mistake.

OK so that really had nothing to do with this thread, but off-topic should have been my confirmation name :lol: