An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Transfiguration And The Holy Eucharist

Livin_the_MASS

Livin_the_MASS

Do you think as I do that Christ permitted his glory to be shown and recorded at the Transfiguration to show that he had the power to apply the fruit of His sacrifice anytime he wanted. A way of proving that he gave us his risen Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity at the Last Supper.

Also isn't the multiplication of the loaves and fishes a proof to show that you can not exahust the Body of Christ.

Thoughts please...

Archaeology cat

I hadn't thought quite along those lines, but I think that could work. I was thinking today that, is it really that much more of a stretch to believe that Jesus presents Himself to us in the appearance of bread and wine than to believe that He presented Himself to us as a baby? I know, not quite the same, but do you see what I'm saying? This was just my random thought when I was walking back from the store today. . .

[quote name='Livin_the_MASS' timestamp='1295637971' post='2202589']
Do you think as I do that Christ permitted his glory to be shown and recorded at the Transfiguration to show that he had the power to apply the fruit of His sacrifice anytime he wanted. A way of proving that he gave us his risen Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity at the Last Supper.

Also isn't the multiplication of the loaves and fishes a proof to show that you can not exahust the Body of Christ.

Thoughts please...
[/quote]

Perhaps more to show what was always there on the first point. Second I definitely agree that he is foreshadowing the eucharist.

[quote name='Livin_the_MASS' timestamp='1295637971' post='2202589']

Thoughts please...
[/quote]

I think that's true. :priest:

Mark of the Cross

The apostles were ordinary people of a time of basic understanding. They maybe thought Jesus would perform a miracle to save himself and be glorious before his enemies. Jesus knew that they would have great difficulty understanding his sacrifice and the Eucharist and the resurrection. Moses and Elijah appeared because the apostles were Jews and would believe what Moses and Elijah said. God also told them to listen to what Jesus had to say and to trust and believe him. The Transfiguration like all the other miracles was about convincing them who he really was. Would you believe it if someone told you they were God without some kind of profound witness?

Edited by Mark of the Cross

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1295639724' post='2202601']
I hadn't thought quite along those lines, but I think that could work. I was thinking today that, is it really that much more of a stretch to believe that Jesus presents Himself to us in the appearance of bread and wine than to believe that He presented Himself to us as a baby? I know, not quite the same, but do you see what I'm saying? This was just my random thought when I was walking back from the store today. . .
[/quote]

I agree, although I think that it is honestly more mind-boggling to believe that our God who is life, who is the I AM, who encompasses all that is and could be and more, became incarnate in order that he could [i]die[/i]... for us. That's crazy.

I tend to believe that the biggest reason that Transubstantiation is difficult to accept is because it is a miracle which is happening now, not 2,000 years ago, not at some distant time in the future. In our culture, we seem to want to fall into two camps -- either miracles never occur, or they only occurred a long, long time ago before we replaced them with science.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='JenDeMaria' timestamp='1296522274' post='2207245']
I agree, although I think that it is honestly more mind-boggling to believe that our God who is life, who is the I AM, who encompasses all that is and could be and more, became incarnate in order that he could [i]die[/i]... for us. That's crazy.

I tend to believe that the biggest reason that Transubstantiation is difficult to accept is because it is a miracle which is happening now, not 2,000 years ago, not at some distant time in the future. In our culture, we seem to want to fall into two camps -- either miracles never occur, or they only occurred a long, long time ago before we replaced them with science.
[/quote]
And because it happens every day, all over the world, and some are of the opinion that a miracle can't possible be so. . . prolific.

• 2 weeks later...

All things are possible with God. He can appear in every tabernacle in the world at the same time and in every heart at the same time.
He is God. He can breath us out of existence at any time or fill us up with His body and blood.

People must have a grasp of the supernatural, which is what God is. If the Holy Spirit is alive and working within us, we will know that the Eucharist is truly Jesus Christ, body, blood, soul and divinity. I think Jesus' transfiguration was showing His select Apostles that He was truly GOD. They never really seemed to grasp that fully.

I love the Eucharist!! :dance:

I doubt that Jesus wanted to prove anything, I feel that feeding the masses was just an act of love, like a mother feeding her hungry kids. Do not put your God to the test. If Jesus was acting with a human mindset and wanted to offer undeniable proof he had many more oppurtunities to do just that and let them pass. Still with the miracles he performed, raisng Lazarus, curing the blind man etc. there were still people who did not beleive in Him. These people lacked both faith and the ability to accept His love. the Transfiguration was a miracle that happened to Jesus not one he performed for another making it unique. I beleive he in essence entered heaven, at least the presence of His Father, and was purified totally for that event. Jesus did not want to wow us with miracles to make us love Him, he wanted us to accept the love He offered as God, he wanted us to do this through faith, not some show or event.

ed

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1297648385' post='2212104']
I doubt that Jesus wanted to prove anything, I feel that feeding the masses was just an act of love, like a mother feeding her hungry kids. Do not put your God to the test. If Jesus was acting with a human mindset and wanted to offer undeniable proof he had many more oppurtunities to do just that and let them pass. Still with the miracles he performed, raisng Lazarus, curing the blind man etc. there were still people who did not beleive in Him. These people lacked both faith and the ability to accept His love. the Transfiguration was a miracle that happened to Jesus not one he performed for another making it unique. I beleive he in essence entered heaven, at least the presence of His Father, and was purified totally for that event. Jesus did not want to wow us with miracles to make us love Him, he wanted us to accept the love He offered as God, he wanted us to do this through faith, not some show or event.

ed
[/quote]

I was basing the proposition on the fact that Gods voice could be heard by the apostles saying "This is my son, listen to him." It is only my personal opinion which of course is only an opinion. Yours is equally valid. :)