An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Does It Stop?

Sternhauser

A few questions, regarding the Church and the State:

Given that the agents of the State do not hold themselves in check or otherwise restrain themselves with any document or Constitution, what is the [i]Church[/i]-defined limit of what the State may (or should) do, so long as it does "not directly command that people sin?" Is that a practical question, or a question of faith or morals? Keep in mind that "should" is an imperative. State-run healthcare? Forced (the happy word is "compulsory") State education? Making everyone eat certain kinds of food? Does it even matter how many people its interventions kill or impoverish, so long as it "does not command people to sin?"

Is it a requirement that all of the activities the Church ascribes to the "State" be carried out by a violent monopoly? Is this the answer to this question a matter of faith or morals?

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

MarkKurallSchuenemann

Ghandi changed an entire country because he refused to co-operate with the authorities, and got millions of people to work with him by refusing to co-operate with the authorities.

If millions of people in Canada and the US stop paying taxes because the government no longer uses them in ways they approve of, that would send a strong message to the politicians.

Hell, our tax money goes to court systems what protect companies like Domtar and Pacific Gas and Electric (one Canadian company and one American company which are known in either country to use cancer causing chemicals in their processes) use to sue individuals who say that their practices are killing people!

I think that in itself is enough to say to the politicians, we will not support you by paying taxes anymore - because a bunch of laws are being used by corporations in ways that allow them to continue to use dangerous chemicals that are killing people!

Edited by MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1295207103' post='2200776']
Ghandi changed an entire country because he refused to co-operate with the authorities, and got millions of people to work with him by refusing to co-operate with the authorities.

If millions of people in Canada and the US stop paying taxes because the government no longer uses them in ways they approve of[b], that would send a strong message to the politicians.

[/b]Hell, our tax money goes to court systems what protect companies like Domtar and Pacific Gas and Electric (one Canadian company and one American company which are known in either country to use cancer causing chemicals in their processes) use to sue individuals who say that their practices are killing people!

I think that in itself is enough to say to the politicians, we will not support you by paying taxes anymore - because a bunch of laws are being used by corporations in ways that allow them to continue to use dangerous chemicals that are killing people!
[/quote]

True, the message would be hire more police and appoint more judges and maybe add some new jails because we are going to be real busy arresting these people and confiscating their properties to punish them for witholding OUR monies.

Besides, as good citizens its our duty to feed the machine.

ed

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1295190886' post='2200738']
A few questions, regarding the Church and the State:

Given that the agents of the State do not hold themselves in check or otherwise restrain themselves with any document or Constitution, what is the [i]Church[/i]-defined limit of what the State may (or should) do, so long as it does "not directly command that people sin?" Is that a practical question, or a question of faith or morals? Keep in mind that "should" is an imperative. State-run healthcare? Forced (the happy word is "compulsory") State education? Making everyone eat certain kinds of food? Does it even matter how many people its interventions kill or impoverish, so long as it "does not command people to sin?"

Is it a requirement that all of the activities the Church ascribes to the "State" be carried out by a violent monopoly? Is this the answer to this question a matter of faith or morals?

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

(Don't know about the Church) I think civilisations have a responsibility to form governments in order to maintain order and social justice in the form of safety nets for the poor, free or affordable healthcare, non profit essential services, etc. And to maintain law and defence which can only be achieved by organisation and control. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one or the few! Naturally there will always be a percentage of unbalance, over zealousness and corruption, these things should be fought against.