An Old School Catholic Message Board

Transubstantiation

infinitelord1

If you get a chance, buy the set of apologetic booklets called "Beginning Apologetics". It has helped me immensely and is cheap.

infinitelord1

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1295315653' post='2201193']
If you get a chance, buy the set of apologetic booklets called "Beginning Apologetics". It has helped me immensely and is cheap.
[/quote]

Well, i will take that into consideration. But consider this way of thinking...

Given that:

1) We have the Teachings of the Early Church Fathers including the following...

John Chrystostom (d. 407) said, "It is not the man who is responsible for the offerings becoming Christ's body and blood, it is Christ himself, who is crucified for us. The standing figure [at Mass] belongs to the priest who speaks these words, the power and the grace belong to God. 'This is my body,' he says. This sentence transforms the offerings."

2)[Luke 22:19]-19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

And....

The Apostles and early believers recognized the sacrificial character of Jesus' instruction, "Do this in remembrance (Gr. anamnasin) of me" is better translated "Offer this as my memorial sacrifice."

Anamnesis ("remembrance") has sacrificial overtones. It occurs only eight times in the NT and the Greek OT. All but once (Wisdom 16:6) it is in a sacrificial context (Hebrews 10:3, Leviticus 24:7, Numbers 10:10 and Psalm 38 [39] and 70 [70]). In these cases the term anamnesis can be translated as "memorial portion," "memorial offering," or "memorial sacrifice." Thus in the remaining two occurrences of anamnesis (Luke 22:19; 1 Corinthians 11:24), Christ’s words "Do this in remembrance of Me," can be translated as "Offer this for my memorial sacrifice." Given the sacrificial character of the Eucharist, there is little doubt this translation is appropriate.
-------------------

We can conclude that Christ COMMANDED his APOSTLES to Offer His Memorial Sacrifice, and by Speaking the words that Christ did at the Paschal Passover; Transubstantiation occurs.

infinitelord1

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1295286547' post='2201030']
Good article here:

[url="http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9307iron.asp"]TRANSUBSTANTIATION FOR BEGINNERS[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks by the way, for taking the time to share that source.