An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Lake Of Fire

Mark of the Cross

Mark of the Cross

Some time ago some of the Church scholars told me that God does not un-create and that satan will cower before God for eternity and the un-salvaged will endure pain forever. This seems a bit inconsistent with the description of Death, Hades, satan and co being hurled into the lake of fire which is the second death. It also seems incompatible with the idea of a God who loves with unreserved compassion. I am writing an RCIA topic on 'Eternal Life' and I came across the scripture.

[color="#000000"]Ma[/color][color="#000000"]tthew 10:28[/color][b] [/b]Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can [b]destroy both soul and body in hell.
[/b]
I've discussed with some priests the possibility that describing the loss of a fantastic eternal life in Gods love and non existence could be described as suffering day and night forever. They don't have an issue with that! I'd be greatfull for more info as from my searches it appears that the Church still goes with the literal version.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1295057610' post='2200196']
Some time ago some of the Church scholars told me that God does not un-create and that satan will cower before God for eternity and the un-salvaged will endure pain forever. This seems a bit inconsistent with the description of Death, Hades, satan and co being hurled into the lake of fire which is the second death. It also seems incompatible with the idea of a God who loves with unreserved compassion. I am writing an RCIA topic on 'Eternal Life' and I came across the scripture.

[color="#000000"]Ma[/color][color="#000000"]tthew 10:28[/color][b] [/b]Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can [b]destroy both soul and body in hell.
[/b]
I've discussed with some priests the possibility that describing the loss of a fantastic eternal life in Gods love and non existence could be described as suffering day and night forever. They don't have an issue with that! I'd be greatfull for more info as from my searches it appears that the Church still goes with the literal version.
[/quote]

For centuries, Catholic theologians have taught that the worst part of hell is eternal separation from God.

~Sternhauser