An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Gaming Addiction Like Drug Addiction

MarkKurallSchuenemann

MarkKurallSchuenemann

Everybody in my class knows I can come up with animation/game ideas that could employ hundreds of people because they're extensive, and they're great ideas to do stories on. I would say, hey if God gave me such an awesome ability to create awesome stories, that could employ so many - than I need to do that. If I don't, there's hundreds of less jobs out there for people!

Not that I think I could actually produce any of my ideas right now to the extent I would want to produce them at right now- I want to go through one game development cycle - which is usually 3-5 years at a big company on a big title - as one of those workers to get a good handle on how a game is produced - because even though I'm doing a game level right now, which is small scale, that is nothing like my one idea because of the complexities of what I want to do,

First, I want to create 20+ characters. To me, creating the concept art of a character, modeling a character, priming it for animations, doing the animations, creating the texture maps to make it look beautiful would - and all of these - for major characters would have at least 20-30 revisions - each character from start to finish would probably require 2000-3000 man hours to take from concept to bringing them into a game - so that is 40000+ man hours - or 40 guys working for 6 months on them,

And if you add the fact there is 15-20 areas - some of them quiet expansive - so you wan to put a lot of effort to making each part of that look great - by having some kind of coding that takes faces and change them so that each person walking down the streets looks unique (so you need to have a stock model for males and females - which have manipulators that can be changed into many different people through coding on the fly - and I would expect that would take a team of programmers and a team of modelers to work with each other for about 6 months - 40-60 hour work weeks to accomplish this task)

Not to mention, you need lamp posts, street signs (each being unique), asphalt textures, streets, buildings, trash cans, benches, bus stops, and all the other things you see in streets and inside buildings. Guess what, that's a team of 40-60 modelers and texture artists for probably 6 months.

A story line that really changes as you make choices within it (which would require a team of programmers to sit down and program a faction system, and program an event based decision system that will make different outcomes to happen if you different things - so that would be a good year to make it seamless and working for a team of about 60 programmers)

Customizable characters who grow in power as you play the game (and since each one of the character's I want is almost completely unique - this would mean a team of programmers (probably 100 or so) for probably 6 months to a year to accomplish this),

And since I am saying, probably this, probably this many people and this amount of time, I need industry experience at a big name game company on a big title to actually learn that - so I can actually know the nuts and bolts of how to create such a game - but that is just a few new skills to learn for me.

How does this relate to 'gaming addiction', you might ask.

Now, when you look at this, and see from a developer POV, there are politicians and way to liberal psychologists who would equate a person who is addicted to video games is just like a person who is addicted to cocaine or other drug. Well, that means the game developers are just like drug dealers - right. But would any of you think a drug dealer puts that much work to create their poison as a team of people put into making a video game. And how about the fact it takes 3 or more years of schooling to learn how to do all of these tasks on a professional level?

What do you think of gaming addiction. Do you think it is as bad a drug addiction.

I just think people have a good time playing a video game, and they could have the same amount of pleasure to go for a run, going out for a date, or any other thing, as long as its done in moderation, and your social life and your health isn't effect, play video games (In fact, I really encourage this!!!!!)

Edited by MarkKurallSchuenemann

I think that any addiction is not a good thing, I would consider it an addiction if it interferes with the normal life of the user. As for the work a drug dealer has to do to bring product on the market,I would say first they would have to gain power and money to control enough resources to grow the raw product and the facilities to refine it. This would have to take many years of hard work and murder to attain, then they would have to subjugate enough worker/slaves to produce the crop and then refine it to a marketable substance, then they would need the monies to bribe local officials to get it out of the country, and of course have the connections to get it into the destination country. They would need access to a network at the destination to distribute the drugs and collect the monies owed for the product. This all could be realized in maybe a few generations of dilligent thuggery, so it seems that drug dealers, at least the kingpins would have much more effort and marketing skills than an average game producer would need.

ed

Nope. Drug addiction is a chemical process, and trying to withdraw is a painful, sometimes dangerous thing. Video game addiction is really just a habit you have formed. Your mind might have made a firm connection with it, but only in the same way that you always eat the same thing for breakfast, or stuff like that. Not anything like addiction to heroin, cigarrettes, alchohol, cocaine, etc.

as a side note, marijuana is the same way. Not chemically addictive, but people can get in the habit of using it.

not that a mind habit cant be hard to break, but then it is all about willpower, not your body physically fighting off a leech.

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1294882566' post='2199506']
I think that any addiction is not a good thing, I would consider it an addiction if it interferes with the normal life of the user. As for the work a drug dealer has to do to bring product on the market,I would say first they would have to gain power and money to control enough resources to grow the raw product and the facilities to refine it. This would have to take many years of hard work and murder to attain, then they would have to subjugate enough worker/slaves to produce the crop and then refine it to a marketable substance, then they would need the monies to bribe local officials to get it out of the country, and of course have the connections to get it into the destination country. They would need access to a network at the destination to distribute the drugs and collect the monies owed for the product. This all could be realized in maybe a few generations of dilligent thuggery, so it seems that drug dealers, at least the kingpins would have much more effort and marketing skills than an average game producer would need.

ed
[/quote]

But Drugs are chemically addictive, where video games are just your own natural endorphines. You can get the very same endorphines from taking a run, going out on a date, getting a strike at bowling, or getting an A+ at school, so it is definitely not the same.

Looking at King-pins, well, it doesn't take that long. These King-pins rise and fall as people get pissed off at them - so again, I don't believe you are right, and that you need to show proof of what you say. I can offer good hypothesis on how many man hours to make a game, because I have knowledge, you are just bringing up possibilities based upon things you don't know about. Albeit - neither do I - but it doesn't take years for someone to be charismatic and violent enough to get a large following to become the next drug lord.

But what about the common street peedler, which is who I am comparing game developers too. You don't need much experience to do something like that, just know the right people and start selling if you are willing.

Semper Catholic

You can become emotionally dependent on just about anything, including video games. People can't become "chemically addicted" on weed, but there are still some people who need it just to get through the day same with food.

OP needs a girlfriend. Badly.

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='Semper Catholic' timestamp='1294886064' post='2199516']
You can become emotionally dependent on just about anything, including video games. People can't become "chemically addicted" on weed, but there are still some people who need it just to get through the day same with food.

OP needs a girlfriend. Badly.
[/quote]

Yeah, and goals in life too.

If you meant me, well I do. We're both geeky, trouble causing gamer people, and I think she is just adorable!

I just spent my break playing the original Kingdom Hearts for the first time. But I can't complete it because of one area had an item I needed but the area is now destroyed. :( I wasted my time

But anyway, comparing a game developer to a drug dealer is as ridiculous as comparing drug dealers to fast-food joints. But others have made the point better than I.

Psst, Semper. This isn't /b/. Quit trying to spread the cancer. :secret:

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294883696' post='2199512']
But Drugs are chemically addictive, where video games are just your own natural endorphines. You can get the very same endorphines from taking a run, going out on a date, getting a strike at bowling, or getting an A+ at school, so it is definitely not the same.

Looking at King-pins, well, it doesn't take that long. These King-pins rise and fall as people get pissed off at them - so again, I don't believe you are right, and that you need to show proof of what you say. I can offer good hypothesis on how many man hours to make a game, because I have knowledge, you are just bringing up possibilities based upon things you don't know about. Albeit - neither do I - but it doesn't take years for someone to be charismatic and violent enough to get a large following to become the next drug lord.

But what about the common s[b]treet peedler[/b], which is who I am comparing game developers too. You don't need much experience to do something like that, just know the right people and start selling if you are willing.
[/quote]

Are you serious? I was joking as I thought you were. By the way whats a [b]street peedle[/b]r? < Another joke, okay?

ed

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1294975002' post='2199925']
Are you serious? I was joking as I thought you were. By the way whats a [b]street peedle[/b]r? < Another joke, okay?

ed
[/quote]

Actually, I am pretty serious about this.

I don't like politician's attacking the industry as some way to puff themselves up because, saying they're making children's life better, when all they want to do is get political favour from people.

70 per cent of Americans and Canadians actually think video games actually cause catastrophes like Columbine (or think video games are at least partially to blame), because they get sucked in by these politicians, when studies actually show there is no correlation between the two. A video game will make children slightly more prone to aggressive behaviour, but it doesn't increase the likely hood that a child or teenager will perform violent acts that would endanger lives.

The actual studies that these stupid politicians misquote and misuse say around 67 per cent of the teenagers who commit violent crimes play violent video games, but the reason why the misuse and misquote them is those studies also state 91 per cent of teenagers play violent video games. So why is it, the teenagers who actually commit violent crimes play violent video games less than the general teenage population - and the politician's are saying the games are actually causing a problem.

I figured, we could all have a bit of a debate on these kinds of trends, but apparently not.

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294982549' post='2199967']
Actually, I am pretty serious about this.

I don't like politician's attacking the industry as some way to puff themselves up because, saying they're making children's life better, when all they want to do is get political favour from people.

70 per cent of Americans and Canadians actually think video games actually cause catastrophes like Columbine (or think video games are at least partially to blame), because they get sucked in by these politicians, when studies actually show there is no correlation between the two. A video game will make children slightly more prone to aggressive behaviour, but it doesn't increase the likely hood that a child or teenager will perform violent acts that would endanger lives.

The actual studies that these stupid politicians misquote and misuse say around 67 per cent of the teenagers who commit violent crimes play violent video games, but the reason why the misuse and misquote them is those studies also state 91 per cent of teenagers play violent video games. So why is it, the teenagers who actually commit violent crimes play violent video games less than the general teenage population - and the politician's are saying the games are actually causing a problem.

I figured, we could all have a bit of a debate on these kinds of trends, but apparently not.
[/quote]

It might have to do with, until this post i wasnt realy sure either WHAT you were asking, or what side you took on it.
clarity always helps
:)

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1294985981' post='2199988']
It might have to do with, until this post i wasnt realy sure either WHAT you were asking, or what side you took on it.
clarity always helps
:)
[/quote]

Okay, I see why people were kinda confused.

Generally speaking, when someone knows how things are done in an industry, it is because they are or want to be part of it - so I am pro-video games for sure!

I play them all the time, and I work 30+ hours a week on my game level for unreal.

So, equating people who make video games to drug dealers is a way I use to say people who think video games can be that dangerous are either politicians who puff themselves up to get votes from concerned parents, or the parents who get sucked into that mentality. I personally hate it, because they're saying I am no better than a drug dealer trying to destroy the lives of children everywhere!

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1295019185' post='2200033']
Okay, I see why people were kinda confused.

Generally speaking, when someone knows how things are done in an industry, it is because they are or want to be part of it - so I am pro-video games for sure!

I play them all the time, and I work 30+ hours a week on my game level for unreal.

So, equating people who make video games to drug dealers is a way I use to say people who think video games can be that dangerous are either politicians who puff themselves up to get votes from concerned parents, or the parents who get sucked into that mentality. I personally hate it, because they're saying I am no better than a drug dealer trying to destroy the lives of children everywhere!
[/quote]

Then you are trying to make sense of politicians, good luck with that. I can say honestly its one of two reasons why they do things like this, including hearings on steroids in ballplayers, kids violent games etc. its either to help them get re-elected to keep their cushy job for life or its to hide some scandal they are invloved or a member of their party is involved in. Its like the old magicians trick, look at the hand I am boldly waiving around holding the red scarve while I do the trick with the other hand, its called misdirection.

ed