An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confession Of Sins

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

If I am understanding things correctly...then we can pray to the Father for Forgiveness by the Following prayer...

[Matthew 6:9-13]-Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us the wrong we have done
as we forgive those who wrong us.
Subject us not to the trial
but deliver us from the evil one.

Please correct me if I am wrong...but I am going to draw a parallel by using [Matthew 18:32-35] (which also happens to support the existance of Purgatory) which states....

[Matthew 18: 32-35]- 32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

So given these 2 verses...should we only pray to the father in the case that someone has sinned against us? or even when we have sinned against someone else? These are the only times that we should ask for Forgiveness from the Father by praying the "Our Father"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that John 20:22-23 confirms that Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit on his apostles and gave them the authority to forgive sins. Is there evidence that this continued past the original 12....like possibly Church Father stuff...evidence that the Original 12 breathed on their disciples and gave them this authority? Please I am not looking for anything other than pre 313 A.D. (Edict of Milan) era.
Can we ask God directly for Forgiveness of Mortal Sins? If no then why? I am asking that you do not refer to Canon Law...not because I disagree with it (I really dont). Im looking for something earlier than Canon Law was written...like records of Church Father stuff before Christianity was legalized in Rome or anything at all during this time frame.
Im also under the impression that we should only confess Mortal Sins to a Priest and not Venial...please correct me or confirm on this as well.

My understanding is that we can confess any and all sins to a priest, not just mortal.
James 5:16 says "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful."
This, in combination with the scripture verses you gave (especially John 20: 22-23), give basis for the Sacrament of Confession.

Those against the Sacrament of Reconciliation prefer to keep their sins between themselves and God. He will forgive us, but scriptures are clear about confessing sins to others. There is a reason that Jesus gave the ability to forgive sins to his apostles. There has to be, or else he wouldn't have specified it.

Personally, I believe that Confession is essential to becoming closer to God, not only because it's a Sacrament. One, priests can offer counsel and advice for avoiding sin. It tends to be easier and more beneficial having a conversation with another human than it is to listen to what God is saying to you, since alot of people don't take out the honest time to spend one on one listening time with God. (Not saying that you shouldn't talk to God or ask Him for grace, just that I think Jesus knows that we as humans need a little help reaching that point.) Also, confessing sins to a priest is embarrassing. Which is awesome, because it helps us achieve humility.

I hope that maybe this helped a little?

infinitelord1

So could it be that since the Holy Spirit gives us Charisms that we need to confess our sins to a priest (which the Holy Spirit operates in) so that we can continue to have a relationship with the Holy Spirit? And by maintaining a relationship with the Holy Spirit...the Holy Spirit works through us so that we can love others with our Charisms? I hope that isnt hard to understand.

If I correctly understand what you're saying, than I think so.

It is said that Pope John Paul II went to Confession every day. No wonder he was so full of love and grace.

[size="2"][font="Arial"]I recommend when confessing sins to confess all sins, mortal and venial. It will strengthen your ability to avoid such sins in future. Also, not much beats hearing the absolution from a Priest.[/font][/size]

[size="2"][font="Arial"]In his Introduction to the Devout Life, Saint Frances de Sales eloquently covers Confession. [/font][/size]

[size="2"][url="http://www.catholicity.com/devoutlife/2-19.html"] [/url][font="Arial"][url="http://www.catholicity.com/devoutlife/2-19.html"]http://www.catholici...tlife/2-19.html[/url][/font][/size]

Edited by Papist

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1294805192' post='2199239']
If I am understanding things correctly...then we can pray to the Father for Forgiveness by the Following prayer...

[Matthew 6:9-13]-Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us the wrong we have done
as we forgive those who wrong us.
Subject us not to the trial
but deliver us from the evil one.

Please correct me if I am wrong...but I am going to draw a parallel by using [Matthew 18:32-35] (which also happens to support the existance of Purgatory) which states....

[Matthew 18: 32-35]- 32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

So given these 2 verses...should we only pray to the father in the case that someone has sinned against us? or even when we have sinned against someone else? These are the only times that we should ask for Forgiveness from the Father by praying the "Our Father"?[/quote]
We should pray to the Father whenever we can.

In the Lord's prayer, Christ is telling us that God will only forgive our sins if we forgive those who sin against us. In other words, we must be willing to forgive others if we want God to forgive us.

[quote]--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that John 20:22-23 confirms that Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit on his apostles and gave them the authority to forgive sins. Is there evidence that this continued past the original 12....like possibly Church Father stuff...evidence that the Original 12 breathed on their disciples and gave them this authority? Please I am not looking for anything other than pre 313 A.D. (Edict of Milan) era.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------[/quote]
The authority of the Apostles to forgive sins was handed down to their successors, just like the power to offer the Mass.

Here's a collection of quotes from the Church Fathers, many of them from before 313 (though nothing changed regarding the Sacraments at that date): [url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Confession.asp"]"Confession"[/url]

Here's another good article on the topic: "[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Forgiveness_of_Sins.asp"]The Forgiveness of Sins[/url]"

[quote]Can we ask God directly for Forgiveness of Mortal Sins? If no then why? I am asking that you do not refer to Canon Law...not because I disagree with it (I really dont). Im looking for something earlier than Canon Law was written...like records of Church Father stuff before Christianity was legalized in Rome or anything at all during this time frame.
Im also under the impression that we should only confess Mortal Sins to a Priest and not Venial...please correct me or confirm on this as well.
[/quote]
We are required to confess any mortal sins, but are encouraged to confess venial sins as well. All Catholics are required to confess at least once a year, whether they have committed any mortal sins or not. A lot of saints practiced and encouraged frequent confession.

God can forgive sins outside the Sacrament in extreme circumstances if the penitent has perfect contrition, but we should always try to get to confession to a priest if possible.

From the last article I linked to:
[quote]The Advantages

Is the Catholic who confesses his sins to a priest any better off than the non-Catholic who confesses directly to God? Yes. First, he seeks forgiveness the way Christ intended. Second, by confessing to a priest, the Catholic learns a lesson in humility, which is avoided when one confesses only through private prayer. Third, the Catholic receives sacramental graces the non-Catholic doesn’t get; through the sacrament of penance sins are forgiven and graces are obtained. Fourth, the Catholic is assured that his sins are forgiven; he does not have to rely on a subjective "feeling." Lastly, the Catholic can also obtain sound advice on avoiding sin in the future. [/quote]

Getting things off our chest, so to speak, is recognized outside the Catholic Church as being important for personal improvement. We humans are masters at rationalizing our behavior. Step 5 of all 12 step programs is, "Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs." People will go to a stranger, pay them $200/hour, to listen to their shortcomings. Priests in the confessional are much cheaper.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1294858068' post='2199387']
Getting things off our chest, so to speak, is recognized outside the Catholic Church as being important for personal improvement. We humans are masters at rationalizing our behavior. Step 5 of all 12 step programs is, "Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs." People will go to a stranger, pay them $200/hour, to listen to their shortcomings. Priests in the confessional are much cheaper.
[/quote]

Yup. Step 10 also reads "Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it"

and 11: "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out"

it fits here, too

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1294858068' post='2199387']
People will go to a stranger, pay them $200/hour, to listen to their shortcomings. Priests in the confessional are much cheaper.
[/quote]

AMEN!

infinitelord1

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1294857586' post='2199384']
We should pray to the Father whenever we can.

In the Lord's prayer, Christ is telling us that God will only forgive our sins if we forgive those who sin against us. In other words, we must be willing to forgive others if we want God to forgive us.

The authority of the Apostles to forgive sins was handed down to their successors, just like the power to offer the Mass.

Here's a collection of quotes from the Church Fathers, many of them from before 313 (though nothing changed regarding the Sacraments at that date): [url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Confession.asp"]"Confession"[/url]

Here's another good article on the topic: "[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Forgiveness_of_Sins.asp"]The Forgiveness of Sins[/url]"

We are required to confess any mortal sins, but are encouraged to confess venial sins as well. All Catholics are required to confess at least once a year, whether they have committed any mortal sins or not. A lot of saints practiced and encouraged frequent confession.

God can forgive sins outside the Sacrament in extreme circumstances if the penitent has perfect contrition, but we should always try to get to confession to a priest if possible.

From the last article I linked to:
[/quote]

Thanks, this is useful information.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

May the lord of hosts rest in your hearts,
I have started to use a loose confeitor recently for venials often, and if a mortal incured too, with the intention to take the mortal to confession,and yes truely if you find a regular confessor you can even be somewhat candid with your recent activities since the last confession and venials should be welcome there. Also by loose confeitor what i see it as is the confeitor without the brother and sisters bit but including the striking of the breast, this has been working wonders of grace in my life since i started practising it.Here tis for all you non christian members of the universal sacrements(catholic)... I confess to almighty God that i have sinned through my most grievous fault(here strike breast) in my thoughts in my words,in what i have done and what i have failed to do,and asked the blessed mary ever virgin,all the angels and saints to pray for me to the Lord our God. Amen
okay god bless