An Old School Catholic Message Board

Did Mary & Joseph have a normal marriage

Lumiere

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294559039' post='2198061']
It's scriptural that the Jesus had brothers and sister, and when he was told his brothers and sister just arrived with Mary and Joseph, he said, they were not his brothers and sisters, but every person who does the will of God was his brothers and sisters!

So I believe Joseph and Mary had a regular marriage - not that it matters much actually.

Jesus is the only one worth mentioning in this post!
[/quote]
It would be scriptural if the Scriptures were written in English with English definitions of words used, but its a translation. Not all languages have kinship words that translate exactly into English so we use equivalents. In Aramaic and Hebrew and several other languages brothers or sisters has a much wider definition than in English. Jesus didn't have full - brothers or sisters as we use the terms now. Even today this happens. As example, the boy raised in my housefold is no relation, but lists my children as his brothers and sisters. I have several "relations" in my family who were raised as family members but who are no blood relation at all. This is what happens when you read something without context or background.

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1294592737' post='2198156']
do you think i care what some stranger on a message board says? umm, nope. plus, i don't have time (since i'm a busy wife and mom) to reply to your erroneous belief when so many others in this very thread and many other threads have rebutted your arguments already. you chose not to read them.
[/quote]

Well, I actually appreciate the debate, because that is what this place is, a debating board. We all give our arguments, and reply to other people's arguments in a respectful manor.

I actually know that you do care, or you wouldn't reply back in such a wounded way. Instead of attacking, why don't you follow my advice and take it down a couple of notches. Learn the rules for debating, and then get back into it. If we are for Jesus, we can't be against each other, right! That's the truth that Jesus said to the apostles when they forbade another person for teaching in Jesus name and casting out devils.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294594302' post='2198167']
Well, I actually appreciate the debate, because that is what this place is, a debating board. We all give our arguments, and reply to other people's arguments in a respectful manor.

I actually know that you do care, or you wouldn't reply back in such a wounded way. Instead of attacking, why don't you follow my advice and take it down a couple of notches. Learn the rules for debating, and then get back into it. If we are for Jesus, we can't be against each other, right! That's the truth that Jesus said to the apostles when they forbade another person for teaching in Jesus name and casting out devils.
[/quote]

Lil red does indeed know the rules of debate, she is simply giving her short response to the question, knowing others will ably fill in the details. :)

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1294594600' post='2198169']
Lil red does indeed know the rules of debate, she is simply giving her short response to the question, knowing others will ably fill in the details. :)
[/quote]

If this was a debate team, her team would actually lose points for her talking out of turn (especially with such a poorly worded response), just saying.

I like AudreyGrace's response - it was well thought out, Lil red just needed to take a step back, not give a one word rude reply, and then allowed someone else to respond.

I also liked DomicanSoul's response too, those are both entirely possible. Your post was also well thought out.

I've been here before, and I know Red's response is why there are fewer people on this board than there should be. I know the reason for it is because there has been massive disagreements on this board before, and that teaches the wrong thing on boards like this, and that is protectionism. You must protect the ideas you are presenting to a point of emotionality, pushing anybody who has a differing opinion away from the board. Tell me that I am not correct.

I read through most of these posts and it's like one person agreeing with another person after another, enforcing the Catholic POV, and nobody can come on and have a different POV, or they are attacking people's beliefs, they are not listening, or they are just plain wrong.

Isn't the debate board here to discuss our differences and appreciate how awesome God is for making a physical and good spiritual world exactly the same, with much diversity! After all, is an amoeba like a Great White Shark or a Pine Tree?

Anyways, I think whether or not Joseph and Mary had sexual relations during their marriage is really a null topic, interesting thing to wonder about, but really, does it matter. Mary brought Jesus in the world, and that's awesome!

Edited by MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294595512' post='2198175']I've been here before,[/quote]
it is against the rules to have multiple sn's. you mind giving the mods your other sn so we can ban it? or do you want this account to be banned and you can go back to your old one?

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294595512' post='2198175'] and I know Red's response is why there are fewer people on this board than there should be. [/quote]
and i'm going to call the essence of cow on your claim there. if people have a problem with my style, then they can say so, not hide behind passive-aggressive attacks or whine about it months or years later. grow up.

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294595512' post='2198175']If this was a debate team, her team would actually lose points for her talking out of turn (especially with such a poorly worded response), just saying.[/quote]
have you ever known an internet forum to actually follow the rules of actual debate? lol. :crazy:

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1294603015' post='2198224']
it is against the rules to have multiple sn's. you mind giving the mods your other sn so we can ban it? or do you want this account to be banned and you can go back to your old one?[/quote]

I forget my past login, it's been a while, so I just signed in through facebook, like I always do when the option is there.

and i'm going to call the essence of cow on your claim there. if people have a problem with my style, then they can say so, not hide behind passive-aggressive attacks or whine about it months or years later. grow up.
[/quote]

It wasn't a passive-aggressive attack really, I was being assertive.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1294603114' post='2198227']
have you ever known an internet forum to actually follow the rules of actual debate? lol. :crazy:
[/quote]

Yes, I have actually. It comes from when people aren't afraid of different ideas.

Edited by MarkKurallSchuenemann

HisChildForever

it is against the rules to have multiple sn's. you mind giving the mods your other sn so we can ban it? or do you want this account to be banned and you can go back to your old one?[/quote]

Pretty sure "MakeYouThink" is one of them.

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1294603575' post='2198236']
Pretty sure "MakeYouThink" is one of them.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's one of them.

It's been so long that I have forgotten it.

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294603723' post='2198238']
Yeah, that's one of them.

It's been so long that I have forgotten it.
[/quote]
yeah right. it's because each one of your sn's has been banned, and you know it.

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1294604748' post='2198256']
yeah right. it's because each one of your sn's has been banned, and you know it.
[/quote]

yes, they were, because I was misbehaving.

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294604979' post='2198259']
yes, they were, because I was misbehaving.
[/quote]
and guess what? making new sn's to circumvent a rightly earned banning is [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]against the rules[/url].

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1294605968' post='2198277']
and guess what? making new sn's to circumvent a rightly earned banning is [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]against the rules[/url].
[/quote]

I didn't make a new sign on, I signed in with Facebook.

But hey, if you want to ban me, that's okay. It's hardly material to me. I think I can add a different perspective to this place, and that I actually add to the forums, and I don't take away. but if you want to do that, that's fine with me.

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294607382' post='2198293']
I didn't make a new sign on, I signed in with Facebook.

But hey, if you want to ban me, that's okay. It's hardly material to me. I think I can add a different perspective to this place, and that I actually add to the forums, and I don't take away. but if you want to do that, that's fine with me.
[/quote]
it's not just up to me, it's up to all the mods.

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1294607420' post='2198294']
it's not just up to me, it's up to all the mods.
[/quote]

How about this, I promise to be respect everybody's opinions, like I have been.