An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Member

Winchester

HisChildForever

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294626823' post='2198439']
All I am saying is this - in the future, the only person you will need to accept is Christ. Christ will not need the Pope. Take the story of Minas Tyrth in the Lord of the Rings. There is a steward that keeps the throne until the King comes to take it. Well, isn't that the pope right now. So when Jesus comes, the role of pope is removed, and the only person you need to accept will be Jesus Christ.

All I am saying right now is that is just in the future, that's right now - the only person you need to accept is Jesus Christ - the Jesus Christ the apostles taught about in the scriptures. Because why would God make it, you just have to accept my son in the future, and the pope and my son now? God is immutable, so if it was just his son in the future, it will be just his son now, and just his son in the past!
[/quote]

There is a very real lineage of the Popes, from Peter the Apostle to our current Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI. I am not sure if you understand the role of the Holy Father, he is the "servant of the servants of God". He is called the Holy Father not just because he is an ordained man of God but because he is both an authority and a self-sacrificing humble steward of his flock (the way a husband/father is and relates to his family).

HisChildForever

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294626978' post='2198442']
Scripture shows that Jesus considered scripture more important than anything of this earth, where is your scripture backing what you just said up?
[/quote]

[u]Matthew 16: 16-20 ; Douay-Rheims translation[/u]

Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. [b]And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.[/b] And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven. Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ.

[u]Douay-Rheims footnotes[/u]

[18] "Thou art Peter"... As St. Peter, by divine revelation, here made a solemn profession of his faith of the divinity of Christ; so in recompense of this faith and profession, our Lord here declares to him the dignity to which he is pleased to raise him: viz., that he to whom he had already given the name of Peter, signifying a rock, St. John 1. 42, should be a rock indeed, of invincible strength, for the support of the building of the church; in which building he should be, next to Christ himself, the chief foundation stone, in quality of chief pastor, ruler, and governor; and should have accordingly all fulness of ecclesiastical power, signified by the keys of the kingdom of heaven.

[18] "Upon this rock"... The words of Christ to Peter, spoken in the vulgar language of the Jews which our Lord made use of, were the same as if he had said in English, Thou art a Rock, and upon this rock I will build my church. So that, by the plain course of the words, Peter is here declared to be the rock, upon which the church was to be built: Christ himself being both the principal foundation and founder of the same. Where also note, that Christ, by building his house, that is, his church, upon a rock, has thereby secured it against all storms and floods, like the wise builder, St. Matt. 7. 24, 25.

[18] "The gates of hell"... That is, the powers of darkness, and whatever Satan can do, either by himself, or his agents. For as the church is here likened to a house, or fortress, built on a rock; so the adverse powers are likened to a contrary house or fortress, the gates of which, that is, the whole strength, and all the efforts it can make, will never be able to prevail over the city or church of Christ. By this promise we are fully assured, that neither idolatry, heresy, nor any pernicious error whatsoever shall at any time prevail over the church of Christ.

[19] "Loose upon earth"... The loosing the bands of temporal punishments due to sins, is called an indulgence; the power of which is here granted.