An Old School Catholic Message Board

pjrizzo

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1294184150' post='2196689']
Fr. Mitch Pacwa is a Jesuit. I try to remember that when people knock on them.
[/quote]

Fr. Pacwa! The Sister Servants of the Eternal Word told me a story about him while I was there.

Casa Maria (the convent of the SSEWs) is 26 acres of country in the middle of Irondale, and because of that they have an infestation of deer. The deer eat their flowers and do lots of destructive things like that, and the Sisters cannot stand them (though they have gotten close enough to take some beautiful pictures of them!). Fr. Mitch takes his bow and goes hunting at Casa. :hehe: He's killed exactly one deer in three years. The Sister just don't understand it.
Good Jesuit. Bad hunter.
I suppose that's a good thing.... for the deer...

Great.

Now I have a mental image of a fully habited nun holding a bow and arrow while a half-tame deer looks on innocently.....

And no, I am not a Jesuit priest. :P I did, however, have to have an interview with one to get the job. That was more daunting than teaching a class with my future principal watching, I must say. The president of the school and chairman of the board are both Jesuit priests. We have a scholastic teaching, so one of my coworkers is a future Jesuit priest (God willing).

Fr. Hardon, SJ was an extremely orthodox teacher from Detroit. I've heard good things about the Jesuits in New Orleans. They're not all Teillard de Chardin. Everything they do is 'For the Greater Glory of God' and St Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises focus on constant and deep discernment. They have a huge emphasis on education, and it's always been holistic (liberal arts...but arts and sports too), so not 'theology only'. I can see how some would go astray with it, but it's not the charism that's flawed. It's the application. Done correctly, you wind up with a St. Francis Xavier :P

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1294205651' post='2196865']
Great.

Now I have a mental image of a fully habited nun holding a bow and arrow while a half-tame deer looks on innocently.....

[/quote]

Well, the Sisters don't hunt. They take pictures.
Fr. Pacwa hunts.