An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do We Know Jesus Was A Carpenter?

add

■ c

[font="Garamond"][size="4"]According to: [/size][/font]

[font="Garamond"][size="4"] Matthew's and Mark's telling of Jesus' return to his hometown of Nazareth after beginning his public ministry, the crowd remarks, "Where did this man get such wisdom and mighty deeds? Is he not the carpenter's son?" (Matthew 13:54–55) and "What kind of wisdom has been given him? Is he not the carpenter?" (Mark 6:2–3).[/size][/font]

[size="3"][b][color="#000000"]
[i][font="Garamond"]To set the record straight:[/font][/i][/color][font="Garamond"][color="#000000"] They should have said "no wonder this man has such wisdom, after all his father is a carpenter"[/color][/font][color="#000000"] (IMHO)[/color][/b][/size]

[b][url="http://www.stdominic-church.org/resources/LSB_121910.pdf"]
[/url][/b]

[b][url="http://www.stdominic-church.org/resources/LSB_121910.pdf"]link - credits[/url]
[/b]

[b]Sunday [/b][b]December 26[/b]

[i]Dear Mark,
Church Tradition holds that
Joseph was a carpenter, which is
why so many images portray Jesus
as a youth standing
next to Joseph in
the carpenter shop
learning the trade.
Jesus never
refers to himself
as a carpenter or
as a carpenter's
son. In Matthew's
and Mark's tellings
of Jesus' return
to his hometown
of Nazareth after
beginning his public
ministry, the crowd
remarks, "Where did this man get
such wisdom and mighty deeds? Is he
not the carpenter's son?" (Matthew
13:54–55) and "What kind of
wisdom has been given him?…Is he
not the carpenter?" (Mark 6:2–3).
In the original Greek texts, both
Matthew and Mark used the word
tekton. That word has usually been
translated as
"carpenter," but
it could also mean
craftsman, builder,
or stone worker.
Today we live
in a culture that
encourages us to
fi nd the vocation
that suits us best,
which sometimes
means not
following in our
parents' footsteps.
In the social setting
of fi rst-century Palestine, however,
the father passed his trade to his son.
That's why we assume Jesus took up
carpentry until his public ministry
began.
Robert Lindsey, CSsR[/i]

Edited by apparently

southern california guy

[quote name='apparently' timestamp='1292799718' post='2193512']
(Matthew 13:54–55) and "What kind of wisdom has been given him? Is he not the carpenter?" (Mark 6:2–3).[/size][/font]
[/quote]

How can a carpenter be wise? :blink:

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='southern california guy' timestamp='1292983696' post='2193889']
[/quote]

Always measure twice before cutting.

ThePenciledOne

I would agree, the historical background on the time would give reason to safely assume that Jesus was a carpenter like His earthly father Joseph.

Given Christ is not bound by history and culture, as we all well know, but if Christ humbled himself enough to become fully Man, then I think it would be fair to assume he took up the humble trade of carpenter.

Otherwise, further speculation shouldn't needed and Christ can always reveal otherwise later.

[quote name='Micah' timestamp='1292979626' post='2193878']
You are, I suspect, a carpenter then? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]
[/quote]

you, got a problem with that?

The parables which Jesus told, they were often about constructing a building, rather than making an object. This indicates that his experiences along these lines were more architectural (ie., builder) rather than artisan (maker).

The Gospel of Matthew next jumps immediately to Jesus' baptism by John and the beginning of his ministry as an adult. The reader is told nothing about his childhood or his life at Nazareth, and consequently nothing about Joseph, who simply vanishes from the scene never to be mentioned again, except for one brief reference: "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works?

Is not this the carpenter's son?" ([i]Mt[/i] 13:54-55). The question asked has a type of parallel in each of the other Gospels ([i]Mk[/i] 6:3; [i]Lk[/i] 4:22; [i]Jn[/i] 6:42), but none says "carpenter's son." Only Mark 6:3 uses the word "carpenter," but applied to Jesus, without mention of Joseph. It was the natural responsibility of a father to teach his trade to the son he was rising.

Besides the title "Son of David," Jesus also receives from Joseph the title "son of the carpenter," adding a human dimension that is part of the mystery of the Incarnation. The son of the carpenter who grew up working at his father's side would necessarily also be known to the people of his hometown as "the carpenter.

This is the eve of the birth of a son, to a simple carpenter, Joseph and his souse, Mary... [size="5"][color="#0000ff"]hallelujah [/color][/size]

[b]St. Joseph – father and mentor, be praised![/b]

JMJ

Edited by apparently

[quote name='apparently' timestamp='1293194108' post='2194249']

This is the eve of the birth of a son, to a simple carpenter, Joseph and his souse, Mary... [size="5"][color="#0000ff"]hallelujah [/color][/size]

JMJ
[/quote]

[quote name='apparently' timestamp='1293194108' post='2194249']
This is the eve of the birth of a son, to a simple carpenter, Joseph and his spouse, Mary... [size="5"][color="#0000ff"]hallelujah [/color][/size]
JMJ
[/quote]

[quote name='southern california guy' timestamp='1292983696' post='2193889']
[/quote]

Honest work, especially honest work done with your best effort allows one to learn from their triumphs as well as their failings and it brings one closer to God.

ed