An Old School Catholic Message Board

Housewives...

rachael

This comes from a discussion I was having with someone earlier. What's your opinion on the word housewife? Does it carry a negative connotation with you? Or does it not bother you at all? Or does it bring butterflies to your stomach? What is a housewife to you? What is their 'job,' so to speak? Just curious.

homeschoolmom

I don't think I've ever used "housewife" to discribe myself. I use "home-maker." But I don't really care. I really prefer my title: Director of pots and tots.

I often introduce myself as a bored housewife. I love the term wife. When someone calls me a partner or spouse, I correct them. Especially partner.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1292364394' post='2192768']
I often introduce myself as a bored housewife. I love the term wife. When someone calls me a partner or spouse, I correct them. Especially partner.
[/quote]
Yeah, bleh....

rhetoricfemme

I've never thought negatively of the term housewife, or of housewives themselves. My mother has been an at-home mother and keeper of our home for all of our lives. I've heard her proudly refer to herself as a housewife, homemaker, at-home mom, etc.

To be honest, though, I never imagined I'd be one myself, though I have been at home for about two years now, and an at-home mother for 16 months of it. I enjoy it, and but don't know if it's what I'll always be doing. I prefer to be the one-on-one caregiver my children have up until they start their school years. At the same time, I cannot say that we won't desperately need the money one day, forcing me to take up a job outside of the home.

In which case I'd be a part-time housewife? When he's not deployed my husband helps out with domestic stuff, so does that make him a part-time househusband?

Regardless of how I see the term, it's no secret that there is a certain stereotype of who and what a housewife is, whether it's true or not.

Whenever someone says to me something like "they're partners," in reference to deviants from sexuality, I have a tendency to say, with a completely serious face, "Oh, they're partners? What kind of business are they in?" I've found it tends to expose the nonsense for what it is. If they don't notice the subtlety, and follow up by saying, "They're [i]gay," [/i]I'm sure to follow up with, "Oh, I didn't know you could make money doing that."

They tried to steal the rainbow. Hades if they're going to steal a perfectly good[i] word.[/i]

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

MissScripture

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1292379203' post='2192788']
Whenever someone says to me something like "they're partners," in reference to deviants from sexuality, I have a tendency to say, with a completely serious face, "Oh, they're partners? What kind of business are they in?" I've found it tends to expose the nonsense for what it is. If they don't notice the subtlety, and follow up by saying, "They're [i]gay," [/i]I'm sure to follow up with, "Oh, I didn't know you could make money doing that."

They tried to steal the rainbow. [b]Hades if they're going to steal a perfectly good[i] word.[/i][/b]

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
They already did with "gay." :|

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1292379861' post='2192789']
They already did with "gay." :|
[/quote]

Who did?

~Sternhauser

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1292379203' post='2192788']

They tried to steal the rainbow. Hades if they're going to steal a perfectly good[i] word.[/i]

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
While I refer to my husband as my husband, he's still certainly my partner in life. There are too many other things in life--more important things--to be upset about than who is using what words to describe this or that.

:idontknow: No one has ownership of the rainbow, the triangle, the words 'gay' or 'partner' or whatever else there is out there.

Teen_Catholic

"Housewife" doesn't carry negative connotation with me, but I think pop culture has twisted it to mean "women who sit a home and do nothing" which, in fact, the opposite is true. My mom prefers the term "stay at home mom" which I would too if I were one.

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' timestamp='1292383810' post='2192809']
While I refer to my husband as my husband, he's still certainly my partner in life. There are too many other things in life--more important things--to be upset about than who is using what words to describe this or that.

:idontknow: No one has ownership of the rainbow, the triangle, the words 'gay' or 'partner' or whatever else there is out there.
[/quote]
You might think differently about the word partner if you lived somewhere where gay marriage was legal, and that word was used in the marriage section in the newspaper. I turn the channel when they start talking on the news about a soldier or policeman's life partner. Just saying that could get me in trouble with the human rights commission.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1292363565' post='2192766']
I don't think I've ever used "housewife" to discribe myself. I use "home-maker." But I don't really care. I really prefer my title: Director of pots and tots.
[/quote]

Director of pots and tots? Are you sure it isn't Director of tots on pots? Or is that just a phase they go through?

let_go_let_God

I agree that the term "housewife" does carry some stigmas with it. It is not because of these stigmas do I say what I'm about to. I couldn't do it. I completely admire those that can be housewives/stay at home mom. But right now, in my soon to be married/I have the only income between us situation, I couldn't. Not to say this won't change once we're a bit more established and have some children of our own. My own mom was a public school teacher for many years and gave it the illusion that she was a stay at home mom. She worked for 3/4 time as a music teacher. When she lost her job she did the stay at home thing if we could afford it and then worked when she had to.

Now that my dad is retired she's looking for a way to as well, but it may take a bit longer than she wants.

God bless-
LGLG

Personally, it always carried a negative connotation in my home. I came from a community of soccer and tennis moms who did not really pay attention to their kids (even though they were 'housewives'). My mom has worked hard to provide for herself and her family since she was 15 and because of that, she was often looked down upon my the parents in our community.

Personally, I do not care what you wish to be. A housewife or a provider. [b]As long as you try to be a good parent[/b].

The word housewife itself...yes, it bothers me. It just carries a lot of negative connotation because of what I have grown up with. :(

Edited by rachael

Archaeology cat

I can see the negative connotations with it. It's not a term I choose to use for myself, though I don't really have a specific reason for that. I choose to say that I'm a SAHM. It's not something I thought I'd be able to do and actually enjoy, but I surprised myself that way. Except for yesterday, when all I wanted to do was lock myself in a room by myself and/or scream. Both kids have coughs/colds and are therefore clingy and whiney, and I needed to catch up on laundry after being away for a few days.