An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ladies Should Ware Veils In Church

Guest T.Fidelis

WarriorForJesus

[color="#800080"]The letter of Paul's that you cited says nothing at all about veils. It says 'covering'. Yes, veils do cover, but those mantillas (?sp) have a lot of very small holes, so do they really "cover"? And it is only the head that needs to be covered and not all of the hair? Or could the hair be said to be a covering? Not all men have a full head of hair. Some go bald, even while in college. I knew a man who had a receding hairline in high school.

This must be thought through thoroughly if it is deemed to be important.

Janice[/color]

Teen_Catholic

I think that if it is customary in your parish, then women should. Then again, veils are meant to be detracting from oneself, so if a I wore one to Mass when no one else does then I would attracting a lot of attention to myself and that's not good.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1292205482' post='2192447']
He had unkind words for women in general. Don't really care what he says so much, as he died a heretic and all that jazz...
[/quote]

Augustine makes note at one point that Tertullian came back to the Church, so there is hope that he may not have died a heretic.

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1292114919' post='2192242']
I think it is more respectful, modest, and pleasing to God for women to wear something over their head, even a poor woman's scarf like in St. Pio's photos. I ever prefer that because it is simpler and less fancy.

Unfortunatly I suspect a lot of people DON'T wear it for the wrong reasons, and DO wear it for the wrong reasons. I suspect some think it will make them Holy or make them standout, and others may think they are too good for it and find it too humbling. Who knows for sure, but I wish it would spread. I see so few in my area wear it.
[/quote]

Agreed :like:

[quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1292020868' post='2192030']
Aside from the command from sacred scripture, I'm pretty sure the Canon you're refering to was abrogated in the 1983 Code.

Edit: BTW its "wear" not "ware"
[/quote]

The canon was not abrogated, it simply did not appear in the 1983 code. When that happens in canon law you refer to the previous code. It is still in effect, however it is not enforced. Much like the shortened fast, the Church concedes to the hard hearts of the people for the sake of salvation.

MissScripture

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1292815846' post='2193546']
The canon was not abrogated, it simply did not appear in the 1983 code. When that happens in canon law you refer to the previous code. It is still in effect, however it is not enforced. Much like the shortened fast, the Church concedes to the hard hearts of the people for the sake of salvation.
[/quote]
Just to clarify, the rule on fasting was actually changed. The rule on veiling was not, it's just not enforced. Is this correct?

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1292817706' post='2193554']
Just to clarify, the rule on fasting was actually changed. The rule on veiling was not, it's just not enforced. Is this correct?
[/quote]

The Church wrote a document in 1976 that stated that veiling is cultural. However a strong argument can be said that those cultures that veil have a far deeper understanding of Genesis 2 and Ephesians 5 than those that do not, something is certainly lost when we do not veil. It is not disobedient not to veil in the Church, but it is correct to say that the time for the fast was changed. It is still praise worthy to fast for a longer period of time, but it is not required. The purpose is not a legalistic time limit on fasting, but the reason why we fast. Like wise women veil because the beauty of woman is so great that it manifests the glory of God in humanity. It is not a sign of the inferiority of women, but the exact opposite - it is a sign of their dignity, beauty and faith.

MissScripture

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1292818504' post='2193556']
The Church wrote a document in 1976 that stated that veiling is cultural. However a strong argument can be said that those cultures that veil have a far deeper understanding of Genesis 2 and Ephesians 5 than those that do not, something is certainly lost when we do not veil. It is not disobedient not to veil in the Church, but it is correct to say that the time for the fast was changed. It is still praise worthy to fast for a longer period of time, but it is not required. The purpose is not a legalistic time limit on fasting, but the reason why we fast. Like wise women veil because the beauty of woman is so great that it manifests the glory of God in humanity. It is not a sign of the inferiority of women, but the exact opposite - it is a sign of their dignity, beauty and faith.
[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification. :)

[quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1292020868' post='2192030']
Aside from the command from sacred scripture, I'm pretty sure the Canon you're refering to was abrogated in the 1983 Code.

Edit: BTW its "wear" not "ware"
[/quote]

LOl, unless of course they were selling them in church then ware would be appropriate.

ed

Ladies such as Nancy Pelosi should wear a veil in church, over her face so no one would recognize her as a catholic. Sorry that was just cruel, but I really hate how often I hear of her being a catholic and being pro every liberal agenda including abortion and homosexual rights etc,.

ed

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Teen_Catholic' timestamp='1292800701' post='2193519']
I think that if it is customary in your parish, then women should. Then again, veils are meant to be detracting from oneself, so if a I wore one to Mass when no one else does then I would attracting a lot of attention to myself and that's not good.
[/quote]
I actually disagree. I wear a veil to humble myself before God, no matter what others are doing or say. While I got a few looks at first, I don't think people really care much that I veil (the one comment I got was the first time I wore a headscarf more like a hijab, when I was asked if I was changing religions; my husband was quick to answer for me that it is a laudable custom). Besides, when others see a woman veiling, they may begin to question why and look into it and start doing it themselves. I know the final push for me to begin veiling was when I saw a friend wearing her mantilla - she was either the only one or one of two ladies who were veiled.

[quote name='notardillacid' timestamp='1292119742' post='2192255']
DO NOT WANT

[img]http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/nowantp1.gif[/img]
[/quote]
i love you.

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1292199185' post='2192424']
I know Tertullian had some unkind words for women who veiled in Church, but then just took it off afterward. Or who just used some thin lacy veil that you could see through rather than one that actually covered the head. So...I think this argument has [i]always[/i] been in the Church!
[/quote]
God help us.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1292200554' post='2192426']
They wore hats for Latin Mass. It seems people decided to do their own thing, p a n t s, hatless, etc. after the Council change.
[/quote]
i read too fast and read pantsless. :blink:

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1292823383' post='2193571']
Ladies such as Nancy Pelosi should wear a veil in church, over her face so no one would recognize her as a catholic. Sorry that was just cruel, but I really hate how often I hear of her being a catholic and being pro every liberal agenda including abortion and homosexual rights etc,.

ed
[/quote]
love it. good idea.

I started veiling last August at my new school. I do it out of love, reverence, and humility. It also helps me to transition myself for mass. I don't ask anybody else to do it and don't judge the women who don't. The way I see it, if it leads you closer to God and isn't contrary to what he asks of us, do it, if not then don't do it.