An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Anyone Really Know?

Guest ok_with_not_knowing

MarkKurallSchuenemann

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1291865348' post='2191698']
Basically, there [i]is[/i] truth, [/quote]

And his name is Jesus

[quote]Jesus saith unto him, [b]I am the way[/b], the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.[/quote]

so some of us are definitely wrong.
[/quote]

Yes, those who have rejected, and don't believe in Christ.

[quote]He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.[/quote]

Thinking that everyone is right is just to not think about it. Most of us are wrong about something. [/quote]

You are correct, and that is why this scripture is very important.

[quote]Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and [b]lean[/b] [b]not[/b] unto thine own [b]understanding[/b].[/quote]

But I do believe what the Catholic Church teaches. [/quote]

Since it teaches about Christ, that's awesome, I can't wait to see you in heaven. :dance:

Perhaps one way to say it is...God is real. There's more than one path to draw closer to Him, and some of us do take rather convoluted paths...and U-turns...and run away at times. But that doesn't mean that truth doesn't exist.
[/quote]

Awesome!

And truth does exist.

[quote]Jesus saith unto him, [b]I am the way[/b], the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.[/quote]

[quote name='WillT' timestamp='1294162868' post='2196564']I see. We are working from different definitions of deduction/induction. I was thinking more along the lines of deductive reasoning being truth preservative. In other words, with a deductive argument, if the premises are true then the conclusion is as well, by necessity. With induction, however, it is merely a probabilistic conclusion.[/quote]Err, I am not faulting your definition, but your use of it. Because in a sense, the premise is not a hypothesis but observation. Loosely speaking, from observations hypothesis are made then tested. In deductive reasoning you tend to start out with facts.[quote name='WillT' timestamp='1294162868' post='2196564']At any rate, I still don't see how science is deductive according to your definition because it seems that most scientists start with a hypothesis and then test that hypothesis, which is pretty much what you gave as a definition of inductive reasoning.[/quote]Absolutely not, no creditable or good scientist would start with a hypothesis, that is completely absurd.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat