An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Teenagers Be Allowed To Enter Into Courtship?

tinytherese

Yeah, I'd say it's case-by-case. Personally, I'll be 18 next month and I've never dated. It used to really bother me, but then I realized that dating should be for the discernment of marriage. And right now, I'm not ready to do that. I want to make sure I have my faith and relationship with Christ in check first.
I'm not sure that high school is the best time to date, either. In today's society, girls do a lot of growing up during high school years, and the added stress of dating and discerning a vocation during that time seems like too much. I've decided that I'm not going to date until I graduate (this June). I made this decision last year, and I'm actually happy being single for now.
Besides, it's next to impossible to find a good Catholic guy in a huge public high school (who I don't consider my younger Life Teen brothers). I hope it'll be easier in college when I'm around guys who actually have morals...

here's a hilarious link about teen dating/courtship.. cracked me up
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZ6EcShdrY"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DNZ6EcShdrY[/url]

Edited by AudreyGrace

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1292738451' post='2193426']
Thank God most people dont marry their highschool sweethearts, because for the most parts those relationships are completely retarded and co dependant and neither party is half as mature as they first look(no matter how small a thing is, you can always cut it in half, particle physics notwithstanding.)

And thats why i think teenagers should date for the sake of dating. there is nothing wrong with that. mistakes are made, feelings are hurt, people grow up. or not, that is life. most people could use some of that.

without that experience you get adults acting like 13 year olds, the first boy/girl that goes out with them is the "love of their life" and "no one else could possibly love each other as we do, what we have is unique, they dont understand". cute, yes. naive, yes. Fine for a teenager to deal with, with their friends and family eyerolling? yes. Fine for someone marrying the first person that comes along? nope.

some people get lucky and find true love with their first relationship. but most of us arent that lucky.

this is completely disregarding one of the most basic rules(right behind gravity) in the universe: If you expressly forbid your teenager to do something, they will run in the opposite direction and step it up a few notches just to screw with you.
[/quote]
ugh. yes. if i married the first guy i dated...

i don't even want think about it.

i'm glad i've dated a few guys. i've learned A LOT about myself in the process. and others.

Edited by rachael

MarkKurallSchuenemann

This is my sentence in regards to this

They have free will!

Let them learn from having a relationship, it might succeed, it might fail, but they have a god-given right to court someone.