An Old School Catholic Message Board

Giving Alcohol To The Underaged

tinytherese

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1290901924' post='2189579']

On a side note, St. Paul would clearly be appalled at all the women "defiling themselves" at Mass, with their heads uncovered. Context? Intent? Immaterial.

[/quote]

As a side note, St. Paul likely [i]would[/i] be appalled by what he found women wearing to mass, though he may not notice whether or not their heads were covered....

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1290985158' post='2189731']
As a side note, St. Paul likely [i]would[/i] be appalled by what he found women wearing to mass, though he may not notice whether or not their heads were covered....
[/quote]

Agreed. But don't leave out the men.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1290143691' post='2188003']
A crime, yes. Immoral, not necessarily. Just like how going 18 in a 15 mph zone is illegal but not immoral. Now providing to the point of excess would be getting closer to the immoral side of things.
[/quote]

Amen! I'm underage and I drink at home w/ family all the time. (actually in Virginia its not illegal)
We're Catholics, not Puritans, darnit.

[quote name='MarcBarnes' timestamp='1290994333' post='2189759']
Amen! I'm underage and I drink at home w/ family all the time. (actually in Virginia its not illegal)
We're Catholics, not Puritans, darnit.
[/quote]

Not that I disagree that it's not illegal, but the State gets its definitions mixed up sometimes. http://www.vsb.org/site/publications/minors-alcohol-and-virginia-law/

~Sternhauser

Read more closely, [b]Stern[/b] - it's illegal for an adult to contribute to the delinquency of a minor. So, if he drinks and drives, or destroys property, or some other foolishness, then, yes, his parents will get in trouble for serving him the alcohol.

But if he's with his family, in his own home, and no one is selling anything or doing anything delinquent....then it's not illegal. Not in VA, anyway. Same in Delaware.

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1290996325' post='2189775']
Read more closely, [b]Stern[/b] - it's illegal for an adult to contribute to the delinquency of a minor. So, if he drinks and drives, or destroys property, or some other foolishness, then, yes, his parents will get in trouble for serving him the alcohol.

But if he's with his family, in his own home, and no one is selling anything or doing anything delinquent....then it's not illegal. Not in VA, anyway. Same in Delaware.
[/quote]

All right. I found the wily subdivision: you're right. I hope they close this dangerous loophole soon.

"7. Any person who keeps and possesses lawfully acquired alcoholic beverages in his residence for his personal use or that of his family. However, such alcoholic beverages may be served or given to guests in such residence by such person, his family or servants when (i) such guests are 21 years of age or older or are accompanied by a parent, guardian, or spouse who is 21 years of age or older, (ii) the consumption or possession of such alcoholic beverages by family members or such guests occurs only in such residence where the alcoholic beverages are allowed to be served or given pursuant to this subdivision, and (iii) such service or gift is in no way a shift or device to evade the provisions of this title."

~Sternhauser

[b]
[/b]

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1290901924' post='2189579']
One of the most misunderstood scriptural passages of all time. Satan, the Unabomber, the Son of Sam and Timothy McVeigh all received their power from God. Stalin and Trotsky received their power from God. How could they resist each other? Can anyone use violence to stop someone like the Unabomber? Of course not! After all, Jesus Himself said "Do not resist an evil person." Context? Intent? Immaterial.
[/quote]

I would say that subjects of the USSR were indeed compelled to obey the communist government so far as that government did not order its subjects to do anything immoral. I would completely agree on the need for context and especial interpretation of the Bible, especially of Paul's epistles. However, the Church has interpreted this passage.

Diuturnum:
[quote]
14. This doctrine the Apostle Paul particularly inculcated on the Romans; to whom he wrote with so great authority and weight on the reverence to be entertained toward the higher powers, that it seems nothing could be prescribed more weightily: "Let every soul be subject to higher powers, for there is no power but from God, and those that are, are ordained of God. Therefore he that resisteth the power resisteth the ordinance of God, and they that resist purchase to themselves damnation . . . wherefore be subject of necessity, not only for wrath, but also for conscience' sake."(16) And in agreement with this is the celebrated declaration of Peter, the Prince of the Apostles, on the same subject: "Be ye subject, therefore, to every human creature for God's sake; whether it be to the king as excelling, or to governors, as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of the good, for so is the will of God."(17)

15. The one only reason which men have for not obeying is when anything is demanded of them which is openly repugnant to the natural or the divine law, for it is equally unlawful to command to do anything in which the law of nature or the will of God is violated.
[/quote]

You have still not answered the question of how a drinking age law violates a natural or divine law. Nor have you answered the question of what my personal right of subjecting someone to violence for underage drinking has to do with the government's authority to make such a law.

[quote]
Sam Adams, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, John Hancock, Charles Carroll, Benjamin Franklin and Ethan Allen are all roasting in hell because they resisted the power, ordained by [i]God Himself. [/i]The colonists didn't have a right to not have State soldiers quartered in the same house as their 15-year old daughters. It was for the common good, after all.
[/quote]

The morality of the Founders' rebellion is another topic.

[quote name='Niccolò' timestamp='1291228280' post='2190214']
I would say that subjects of the USSR were indeed compelled to obey the communist government so far as that government did not order its subjects to do anything immoral. I would completely agree on the need for context and especial interpretation of the Bible, especially of Paul's epistles. However, the Church has interpreted this passage.[/quote]

Is there one moral law, or are there two, Niccolo?

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1291241181' post='2190251']
Is there one moral law, or are there two, Niccolo?
[/quote]

Define moral law.