An Old School Catholic Message Board

Burning Alive The Inquisiters

Selah

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1289070380' post='2185424']
:|
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Jesus would be equally opposed to burning anybody. And how can you judge who is a heretic and who is not when. 'Do not judge and be not judged.'
The cruel act of burning someone would make yourself unworthy of God.

There are people with the ability and right to judge. Jesus wasn't condemning judges. He was condemning those who did it outside of some official capacity.

I burnt myself AND electrocuted myself one time. It was at the fry station. My hand hit the lightbulb thingy that warms the fries.

It was mean :cry2:

Well I am afraid that I am not going to answer the poll because there should be an other option. First of all, yes it was within the Church's authority to judge heretics. Paul chastises the Corinthian community for their failure in this regard and even goes so far as to say the man should be physically punished, handing over his body for the good of his soul. Second of all it is my understanding that the Church handed heretics over for punishment according to the state in accord with the laws in place. The Church did not burn heretics. Romans 13 makes it quite clear that the state has an obligation to keep order, even by capital punishment ("the sword") if necessary. When one reads Romans 13 realizing who the government was at that time, one sees that the punishments inflicted by the state are for God to judge. Heretics at the time caused disorder. They railed against the Church causing riots that the government had to deal with. Thirdly if Christ were against burning in all cases then hell would not exist. So I agree the Church needed to fight heresy in the manner in which it did for the most part, i.e. putting them on trial and convicting them of heresy. I do not think it was improper for them to hand the heretics over to the state. Today, in the modern context I think burning of heretics would be wrong but at the time people took their religion very seriously and so heresy was akin to killing the souls of others. I wish the hadn't burned people but I can't rule out that capital punishment was an appropriate means of dealing with the matter at the time. It was a whole different world back then. People were extremely ignorant and so a heretic could lead hundreds, if not thousands down a potential path to eternal hellfire. That is serious business. So I find it inappropriate to answer the question as stated.

Edited by thessalonian

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1289975578' post='2187590']
Burning Alive The Inquisiters , man I hate it when that happens !

ed
[/quote]

Yeah! Inquisitiveness burned the cat! :|