An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discussion Of The Government And Taxation Debate

homeschoolmom

Summation of Sternhauser's arguments:

[img]http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/strawman.jpg[/img]

Summation of MikeFilo's arguments

[img]http://kevinthecoolguy.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/lamesauce.jpg?w=128&h=128[/img]

dairygirl4u2c

it seems like a person could just as easily say that 'it's not moral to let a person die at gunpoint', opposite of what Stern is trying to argue.
everyone has a right to a basic amount of resource-- even the popes say this. it's obvious everyone here tip toes around it or blatantly ignores those quotes. the only way to reconcile what all the popes say, is to agree with me. the only way.

if we were to get rid of the health programs our country has, people would die. if we got rid of our hunger programs, people very well might die. all due to easily preventable causes.
a person has a right to do what it takes to live, to get resources needed to live. when you deprive them of that right, at gun point with law etc, you are denying God's law, and natural law. there is in fact a social contract. it defies christian reason to say otherwise.
if people actually started taking all this sophmoric ideology for real, such as tea party lunatics and what people like Stern say, and people actually started dying.... they deserve a civil war against them.people need to snap out of their detached ideologies and face reality.
if you don't like it, leave the country.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

also. people like ron paul or stern or tea bagger, and other lunatics. they say things like 'let's get rid of the EPA, FDA' etc etc. lets get rid of all the health care stuff we have. let's let people die first of all.
and if it's people dying cause of pollution and stuff.... we won't patronize those polluters any more. just two problems, of many, here. if you are poor and have no place to live, they will pollute where you live, leaving you no choice. but even more important... why on earth would we have the way of fixing these things just be piecemeal where enough people die to that maybe then we'll change something? if it's a constitutional matter, we have to get enough people to die to change anything? and in the mean time, just let people die until, if we're lucky, enough people die to change anything.
what's sad is they try to take a sole claim to the constittuion, but half they time they aren't even right.
it's all lunacy. most grow out of it, these laissez faire mindsets, it's just a phase. for the rest, they go nuts and lunatic. somewhat like ron paul has a tendency of doing.
(he does catch himself and temper himself from time to time.

Hehe, just a point of clarification, I am the Ron Paul supporter, Stern doesn't like him or any politician.

He won't bring up Catholic social teaching, but it is important to note, the Church has no charism in terms of economic wisdom. Unfettered free trade and individual charity is more in-line with a successful nation than a welfare nation. Similarly, I don't believe welfare meets the standards of christian charity and leads to a society that is more permanently stratified along economic lines which always lead to social divides. I would rather have the Christian ideal of voluntary, individualistic charity rather than the ever so easy tax-welfare system which is not gratifying to anyone, and makes a nation of dependents disconnected from their benefactors.

[quote name='MichaelFilo' timestamp='1288961435' post='2185108']
Hehe, just a point of clarification, I am the Ron Paul supporter, Stern doesn't like him or any politician.

He won't bring up Catholic social teaching, but it is important to note, the Church has no charism in terms of economic wisdom. Unfettered free trade and individual charity is more in-line with a successful nation than a welfare nation. Similarly, I don't believe welfare meets the standards of christian charity and leads to a society that is more permanently stratified along economic lines which always lead to social divides. I would rather have the Christian ideal of voluntary, individualistic charity rather than the ever so easy tax-welfare system which is not gratifying to anyone, and makes a nation of dependents disconnected from their benefactors.
[/quote]

Oh good. You're not a theoconomist. I didn't think you were, but it's good to get a confirmation.

~Sternhauser