An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Do Something Without A Mistake Are You Not Infallible?

Winchester

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

popery
papistry

papistry is papist popery of the papacy

even peter piper, who picked a peck of pickeled peppers, would be impressed.

i always wondered if 'papalry' was a word, or could be used as one.
papate. papation. palpate. popistry.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Mark of the Cross

I think some people are into the poppies. [url="http://www.sherv.net/no.smoking-emoticon-201.html"][img]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/smoke/no-smoking.gif[/img]
[/url]

I can play Burgmuller's "La Chevaleresque" perfectly, without any mistakes!
But that doesn't make me an infallible pianist, because I will fail miserably if I try to play Weber's "Perpetuum mobile"

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1288527918' post='2183794']
Think about the sentence. As a question, it's much like "Are you not entertained?"
[/quote]

That's the way I was reading it when I voted "NO", for the record.
(I have to admit that the double negative threw me for a second, too!)

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1289098403' post='2185484']
I can play Burgmuller's "La Chevaleresque" perfectly, without any mistakes!
But that doesn't make me an infallible pianist, because I will fail miserably if I try to play Weber's "Perpetuum mobile"
[/quote]
No, but it makes you an infallible performer of that piece.

In a similar way, those who wrote the Bible were infallible in that limited part of their lives. By the Grace of God. I doubt they went on to write infallible poems or mysteries.

The point is that anyone who believes the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, but also claims to believe a man cannot infallibly teach the Word of God is an imbecile.

Edited by Winchester

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1289138485' post='2185528']

The point is that anyone who believes the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, but also claims to believe a man cannot infallibly teach the Word of God is an imbecile.
[/quote]

That's OK if you think that just knowing the text without understanding is knowing the word of God.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1289158918' post='2185573']
That's OK if you think that just knowing the text without understanding is knowing the word of God.
[/quote]
I didn't mention knowing or understanding. That's yet another thing infallibility doesn't cover. Teh Poap does not necessarily understand what he writes. His arguments are not infallible. Only the conclusion is protected by God so as to be free from error. In the case of the Bible books, we have no idea if the writers understood what they transcribed, or if they correctly interpreted what they wrote and properly believed it. They might have written all that and held some heretical notion of the Faith.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1289223573' post='2185750']
I didn't mention knowing or understanding. That's yet another thing infallibility doesn't cover. Teh Poap does not necessarily understand what he writes. His arguments are not infallible. Only the conclusion is protected by God so as to be free from error. In the case of the Bible books, we have no idea if the writers understood what they transcribed, or if they correctly interpreted what they wrote and properly believed it. They might have written all that and held some heretical notion of the Faith.
[/quote]

Teh Bible can be considered to have a parallel to the Eucharist in that it has the 'accidents' of a book of txts. It becomes the word of God when it is understood by someone. But understood correctly by the power of the Spirit! If a person with evil motivation misinterprets the text to suit their own motive then it is not the word of God. All men are sinners therefore they cannot interpret every text infallibly, we are all subject to the delusions of the devil. However if you are saying that if a person teaches others the texts which are the containers of Gods word then they are not erring and if the purpose of their teaching is for God is their motive, then they are teaching infallibly and I would agree with you.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1289254622' post='2185852']
Teh Bible can be considered to have a parallel to the Eucharist in that it has the 'accidents' of a book of txts. It becomes the word of God when it is understood by someone. But understood correctly by the power of the Spirit! If a person with evil motivation misinterprets the text to suit their own motive then it is not the word of God. All men are sinners therefore they cannot interpret every text infallibly, we are all subject to the delusions of the devil. However if you are saying that if a person teaches others the texts which are the containers of Gods word then they are not erring and if the purpose of their teaching is for God is their motive, then they are teaching infallibly and I would agree with you.
[/quote]
This is the first time I've seen Quantum Exigesis.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1289254759' post='2185856']
This is the first time I've seen Quantum Exigesis.
[/quote]

Wait a minute while eye look that up :think:

[s]
[/s]

Edited by Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1289254996' post='2185860']
Wait a minute while eye look that up :think:
[/quote]
You just invented it. Why would you need to look it up?