An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Word Of God Rerevealed?

thessalonian

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1289761445' post='2187122']
I'm not saying that I agree with him, but perhaps if they conversed with some of the phatmassers on here like BroAdam who almost became a Baptist minister,(not me though, I doubt I'm intelligent enough for scholastic Protestants,) they may leave here at least wondering.
[/quote]

That's true, and many of the Baptist seminarians I've known are fans of certain Catholic theologians, and even those who aren't have to learn Catholic theology if they are getting a serious seminary education. Southern Baptist Theological Seminary even has a class about Catholicism for which the students are required to attend Mass and interview a Catholic about how they view the Church's theology today in perspective with history. The guy who interviewed me was a Filipino who left the Catholic Church. I brought a friend with me who's more knowledgeable than I am for the interview and he was genuinely curious and interested, but can't say we got him thinking about coming back.

For most who do convert, it's a years-long process. I feel like the biggest hurdle is moving from a position of accepting Catholicism as a true form of Christianity to recognizing it as the one, true Church. The consequences make that a heavy realization to come to, and like anybody else, Evangelicals are naturally inclined to stick with the faith they already believe. One of the elders at my Baptist community seriously considered Eastern Orthodoxy before committing to Calvinism. He was the go-to guy for any of us who were tempted by incense ;) As for debating things out, it has it's place for the sake of giving a defense for our hope, but hearts and minds are usually changed in the context of genuine friendship and a mutual interest in seeking Truth.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1289713325' post='2187063']
I see... definitely have to disagree with that sentiment. There are many Protestant theologians who are intelligent, thoughtful, and very well grounded. Plus, the Baptist seminarians I've met here are anything but f ools. Maybe it's because I'm not smarter than them. Fortunately, we are not saved by brainpower.

Never been a fan of that "feature," especially in the theological and debate forums.
[/quote]

1. One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding.

6. One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth: a holy fool.

Either the Catholic teachings are true and those who reject them are f-o-o-l-s or there is no truth. The truth is knowable. "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". All protestants in some fashion subert orthodoxy and lack understanding and judgment. I will of course agree that all of us to one degree or another fall in to #1. It may be in igorance that they are and I am sorry that is offensive. But I will stand by my statement. The logic of their arguements that contradict the catholic faith is the logic of foolishness, whether it is sincere, intelligent, honest, thoughtful and any other adverb foolishness or not. Whether one is sincerely wrong or not the outcome is the same. They are wrong. I say this not out of pride but out of humility knowing except by the grace of God there go I. It is not about being smarter AMEN! But this makes it no less foolish to reject truth. You seem to find my posts arrogant. I will not apologize for the great gift God has given me. I will not tarnish the gift by giving the views of those who disagree equal quarter, though I will respect them as people.

Edited by thessalonian

Put another way, should I give homosexual "marriage" any equal footing with heterosexual marriage because the homosexual and their supporters say that is it good? They may sincerely and honestly believe that it is. They may have intelligent reasons for thinking it is by the world's standards. They may have a far higher IQ than I do. It is still foolish to think so.

Edited by thessalonian

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1289931276' post='2187429']
1. One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding.

6. One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth: a holy fool.

Either the Catholic teachings are true and those who reject them are f-o-o-l-s or there is no truth. The truth is knowable. "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". All protestants in some fashion subert orthodoxy and lack understanding and judgment. I will of course agree that all of us to one degree or another fall in to #1. It may be in igorance that they are and I am sorry that is offensive. But I will stand by my statement. The logic of their arguements that contradict the catholic faith is the logic of foolishness, whether it is sincere, intelligent, honest, thoughtful and any other adverb foolishness or not. Whether one is sincerely wrong or not the outcome is the same. They are wrong. I say this not out of pride but out of humility knowing except by the grace of God there go I. It is not about being smarter AMEN! But this makes it no less foolish to reject truth. You seem to find my posts arrogant. I will not apologize for the great gift God has given me. I will not tarnish the gift by giving the views of those who disagree equal quarter, though I will respect them as people.
[/quote]

Going with those definitions of "f ool" I see what you're saying. I went with the first thing most people think of as a "f ool."