An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Word Of God Rerevealed?

thessalonian

[quote name='Paddington' timestamp='1289062821' post='2185402']
Agreed, but we aren't talking about that anymore. We never were talking about that.

[/quote]

In other words you are just here to hararss and chide.

[quote name='Revprodeji' timestamp='1289415755' post='2186234']
Ignoring the spat that has happened...

I will play devils advocate for the sake of debating this issue. Here is how I would have answered as an academic evangelical prior to my conversion.

I would cite the concept of an organic body of Christ. What this means is that the apostles had direct connection/experience of Christ and they shared that experience via word and paper. The body of Christ took that message and grew beyond race/gender. The apostles because of their connection with Christ were imprinted with an authority that lived on in their mission. I would have utterly denied apostolic authority as an authoritative thing and rather seen the early Church as a collection of not always agreeing small churches that formed a community based on how they are responding and trying to understand the apostolic message. This has continued throughout the ages. Sometimes there are bad leaders and bad people, but the organic invisible unity of the Church guided by the Holy Spirit would keep the body in truth. Even if part of it fell. I would never acknowledge sola scripture because I felt it was a myth, but I would say we should incorporate the collective historical experience of Christianity and understand their perspective of the gospel in light of their own time period. I would accuse Catholicism of falsely placing an authoritative message in the patristic text when the post-apostolic Church did not clearly have that vision. I would also accuse Catholicism of being Sola-Catechism and not scriptural or honestly patristically sound and informed.

I can play along with this concept if you want thess. Just remember I am playing Devils advocate.
[/quote]

Thx for your honest try at addressing the issue. I would say my question would not be valid for you since you rejected the idea of sola scriptura. It would seem that your concept of a spirit guided Church is not far off of Catholicism and probably consistent with the sensus fidelium. One however could not KNOW the truth in the system you have described as I understand it.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1289363152' post='2186115']
Neither are most Catholics interested in debate, but some people enjoy debate for the sport of it or are genuinely interested in learning another person's perspective. In those scenarios, it's enjoyable and productive. That said, James McCarthy doesn't strike me as someone worth debating. I've known several seminarians from Southern and they are as well educated as Catholic seminarians on Sacred Scripture and the Church Fathers, except that their education teaches a Calvinist interpretation of them. So running into a Catholic who knows their stuff wouldn't faze them a bit.
[/quote]

I debated him because he was on protestant radio distorting Catholicism. I called in one day and the hosts in an impromptu fashion left me on with him for about a half hour and then at the end of the program invited us both on at a future time. Ended up being about 2 months later. I did not do it for the purpose of convincing him of anything. Nor do I think that he thought he had lost the debate but even many non-catholics told me he had. I am sure it didn't faze him either. That wasn't my point.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1289530417' post='2186593']
Thx for your honest try at addressing the issue. I would say my question would not be valid for you since you rejected the idea of sola scriptura. It would seem that your concept of a spirit guided Church is not far off of Catholicism and probably consistent with the sensus fidelium. One however could not KNOW the truth in the system you have described as I understand it.
[/quote]

Most academic evangelicals do not believe in Sola Scripture. Some calvinists do, (ironic eh) but they understand Sola Scripture meaning that everything is contained in scripture. They understand there are proper ways to interpret it and traditions to follow. Of course, you choose those traditions.

My "spirit guided church" might have been one of the reasons I was able to transition to Catholicism, but I also know 3 friends that share the same view and it is the reason they do not see a need to convert.

Circle_Master

Kafka,

Looks like I don't have access to view profiles or send messages. I sent an email to the webmaster, but we'll have to chat later :).

CM

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1289530763' post='2186595']
I debated him because he was on protestant radio distorting Catholicism. I called in one day and the hosts in an impromptu fashion left me on with him for about a half hour and then at the end of the program invited us both on at a future time. Ended up being about 2 months later. I did not do it for the purpose of convincing him of anything. Nor do I think that he thought he had lost the debate but even many non-catholics told me he had. I am sure it didn't faze him either. That wasn't my point.
[/quote]

Okay, going back to an earlier post you said, "When they run in to a Catholic that knwos his faith, apologetics, and the bible, the are made geniuses." I take it you mean the Catholic is made to look like a genius because the Protestant rarely meets one who knows their stuff. I'm countering that by stating that a well educated seminarian from any denomination or background will not be fazed by a well educated believer from another denomination. Maybe I misunderstood your sentence?

[quote name='Circle_Master' timestamp='1289590789' post='2186750']
Kafka,

Looks like I don't have access to view profiles or send messages. I sent an email to the webmaster, but we'll have to chat later :).

CM
[/quote]
about what?

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1289529854' post='2186592']
In other words you are just here to hararss and chide.
[/quote]

No, but anywho edit, bye.

Edited by Paddington

Circle_Master

[quote name='kafka' timestamp='1289614050' post='2186802']
about what?
[/quote]

I saw the content later and it's just the friend notification. The forum denied me this information!

My bad.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1289610231' post='2186782']
Okay, going back to an earlier post you said, "When they run in to a Catholic that knwos his faith, apologetics, and the bible, the are made geniuses." I take it you mean the Catholic is made to look like a genius because the Protestant rarely meets one who knows their stuff. I'm countering that by stating that a well educated seminarian from any denomination or background will not be fazed by a well educated believer from another denomination. Maybe I misunderstood your sentence?
[/quote]

Dust filers the word f o o l to be come out as genius, so he is saying that they look foolish when they speak to a well catechized Catholic who really knows their apologetics.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1289610231' post='2186782']
[/quote]

I did not use the word genus. The site put in it.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1289681192' post='2186928']
Dust filers the word f o o l to be come out as genius, so he is saying that they look foolish when they speak to a well catechized Catholic who really knows their apologetics.
[/quote]

I see... definitely have to disagree with that sentiment. There are many Protestant theologians who are intelligent, thoughtful, and very well grounded. Plus, the Baptist seminarians I've met here are anything but f ools. Maybe it's because I'm not smarter than them. Fortunately, we are not saved by brainpower.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1289703752' post='2187035']
I did not use the word genus. The site put in it.
[/quote]

Never been a fan of that "feature," especially in the theological and debate forums.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1289713325' post='2187063']
I see... definitely have to disagree with that sentiment. There are many Protestant theologians who are intelligent, thoughtful, and very well grounded. Plus, the Baptist seminarians I've met here are anything but f ools. Maybe it's because I'm not smarter than them. Fortunately, we are not saved by brainpower.
[/quote]

I'm not saying that I agree with him, but perhaps if they conversed with some of the phatmassers on here like BroAdam who almost became a Baptist minister,(not me though, I doubt I'm intelligent enough for scholastic Protestants,) they may leave here at least wondering.

I've also been told that Karl Adam's [i]The Spirit of Catholicism[/i] is an excellent apologetics book that has led Protestant ministers home to Rome.