An Old School Catholic Message Board

Never-Ending List Of Requirements For Salvation

Guest Shadyrest

[quote name='Shadyrest' timestamp='1288055339' post='2182551']
Try reading all 176 verses of Ps 119, and then try to duplicate that many times the highest esteem is found for God's word [i]there, [/i]with any other authority. There virtually is no comparison.[/quote]
It's a beautiful psalm. Which verse contains sola scriptura, again? I must have missed it.

I mean, you know a lot about the Bible, so if sola scriptura's true, it must be in the Bible somewhere, right?

If you could just show me where in the Bible it says there is no truth to be taught that is not written down in the Bible, I'll immediately give up all my Popery, and join whatever church you belong to.

It's gotta be in there somewhere. Enlighten us ignorant Papists.
I think you're holding back on us, buddy.

[quote]And you mean to tell me that you wish to entrust your soul to all those never-ending list of requirements found absolutely [u]no where[/u] in Scripture, to that of [i]tradition?[/i]
You have fallen smack dab into the condemnation Jesus threw at the Jews. By their tradition, they were nullifying the word of God. Join the club.[/quote]

You mean like St. Paul?

"Therefore, brethren, stand fast: and hold the [b]traditions[/b], which you have learned, [b]whether by word[/b] or by our epistle." ~ 2 Thess, 2:15

"There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her."

Salvation requires only a rightly-ordered relationship with God.

However, as we live in time and in a physical world, it becomes immediately clear that the one thing necessary is engaged in our daily lives. Thus, Christ tells us to take up our crosses daily. This daily embrace of God becomes a struggle, a battle in which we fight powers and principalities. In involves faith, hope, and charity. It involves sorrow for sin. It involves avoiding sin. It involves following Christ's command. It involves prayer. It involves the sacraments Christ gave us.

Anyone who thinks there is a never-ending list of requirements for salvation merely has to realize that our relationship with God should not be expected to be any simpler than our relationships with our human friends? Why, because God is complex? No, because we are, and in His mercy, God interacts with us on our terms and in accord with our nature. Why else would He have become man?

Edit: oops, this was Raphael, not StColette.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]move beyond the rhetoric and semantics. At the finest level Catholics are saved by faith in Jesus. When you dig into the theology of salvation, it gets incredibly complex, no matter what system of thought you are using, Catholic or fundamentalist. Try reading the soteriology of Calvin. It will make your head hurt. You don't actually need to know that theology to be saved though, any more than you have to worry about 'rules' in any Church, baptist or Catholic.[/quote]

well said. exactly what he needs to learn.
he's like a level 1 person jumping into water way over his head. the above quote should help him realize at least that his 'too complex' arguments are weak to say the best for him.
id like to give him the benefit of the doubt, though. we all have to start somewhere.
he seems pretty smart, so id like ot think he wont end up as another jerry fallwell or someone so lost in their world of merely fundamentalism merely to fundamentalism.

dairygirl4u2c

who said that quote? something like "there is not many who understands the catholic church and rejects it, but many who mistaken it for what they purport it to be" or something like that. i think it was chesterton.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1288134998' post='2182809']
who said that quote? something like "there is not many who understands the catholic church and rejects it, but many who mistaken it for what they purport it to be" or something like that. i think it was chesterton.
[/quote]

+Abp Fulton Sheen