An Old School Catholic Message Board

Morality -- According To Me

southern california guy

[quote name='southern california guy' timestamp='1287943054' post='2182079']
One more thing, I teeter on atheism. I'm not sure that there is life after death. Just death at the end of life makes the most logical sense... But I still like the philosophy taught in the Bible. It seems to me that people are so determined to rationalize bad sexual behavior that they overlook much of the good philosophy taught in the Bible.

Could you support the annulment argument if you weren't religious? Would you argue "He made a commitment that he didn't really mean, or didn't really fully understand -- so there never really was a marriage!" NO! NOBODY DIVORCES FOR THOSE REASONS! They have money problems, they have jealously problems, or they take out their frustrations on each other. No atheist who gets a divorce ever thinks about whether they really meant the vows, or understood everything at the time that they took their vows. They think about what went wrong DURING the marriage -- and the sorts of things that they wouldn't want to repeat if they got married again. And any Catholic with half a brain would be thinking the same thing.

The annulment argument is just a Mickey Mouse Catholic argument to get around what Jesus taught in Mark 10. The philosophy that Jesus taught in the New Testament was a good one, and the Catholic church is totally missing the point on the subject.
[/quote]

Rich,

There is just one question you need to ask yourself.

Do you want eternal life?

[ ] Yes

[ ] No

southern california guy

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1288465811' post='2183686']
Rich,

There is just one question you need to ask yourself.

Do you want eternal life?

[ ] Yes

[ ] No
[/quote]

I definitely do. But I think that I view Catholicism more like an outsider because I've been away from it for so long. A lot of Protestants sort of "shop around" for a good church. That's almost where I am I think.

But, if the annulment issue is so important to you, then surely you must realize no one has taken such a strong stand against divorce as Catholicism, barring the failures in this country. I know some Catholics believe the Church can do no wrong, but that is foolish. As long as the church has human members, human error will partake. Her teaching on annulments is sound. That should be one reason, if no other reason to be looking here.

Secondly, a strong belief in, and relationship with God is an important first step to finding His Church, you would readily admit, I'm sure.

[quote name='southern california guy' timestamp='1288489892' post='2183768']
I definitely do. But I think that I view Catholicism more like an outsider because I've been away from it for so long. A lot of Protestants sort of "shop around" for a good church. That's almost where I am I think.
[/quote]

Then I would ask you to reflect on the end of John chapter 6, where many disciples left Jesus and He asked the apostles "Do you you want to leave Me too?".

And recall what Peter said, "Lord, to Whom shall we go?"

You're not the first person to see the Church from the outside wanting to come in, and you won't be the last, so don't get scared off.

Tell you what. Maybe if you're ever in Chicago and have your gear with you, we can rent some studio ice and discuss it.

Edited by Norseman82

southern california guy

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1288499606' post='2183783']
Then I would ask you to reflect on the end of John chapter 6, where many disciples left Jesus and He asked the apostles "Do you you want to leave Me too?".

And recall what Peter said, "Lord, to Whom shall we go?"

You're not the first person to see the Church from the outside wanting to come in, and you won't be the last, so don't get scared off.

Tell you what. Maybe if you're ever in Chicago and have your gear with you, we can rent some studio ice and discuss it.
[/quote]

Thanks if I ever get over to Chicago I'll look you up. I'm taking a hockey skating class now. It's a great sport!