An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prolife V. Prochoice

dairygirl4u2c

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

A might not be 'prolife' as a matter of semantics. but, the point is about abortion.

i also could have, and maybe should have, made the issue something else that's intrinsically evil, but not abortion or something typically thought of as 'prolife'. that would show the point that 'prochoice' and abortion related issues, are not the only issues on the agenda.

[the third issue is about prudential judgment to some extent. i'll leave it at that, without getting into catholic teaching at this point]

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1287605247' post='2181098']
A might not be 'prolife' as a matter of semantics. but, the point is about abortion.
[/quote]
wrong.

being prolife is more than just a stand on abortion, imho.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

If A is Dairygirl will she make more than three threads about being infanticide in a short amount of time?

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1287608063' post='2181106']
wrong.

being prolife is more than just a stand on abortion, imho.
[/quote]

i agree.
i was being unclear. A might not be prolife, as he promotes contraception and masturbation, but that's only semantics in my mind. even if it's not semantics, though, my point is about the instrinsic evil v. anything prolife related (abortion, contraceptives etc)

dairygirl4u2c

i should have clarified that the genocide in africa is a lot smaller than hte genocide of abortion.
yet, one would think we have to take the effective intrinsic evils into account- ie, abortion is bigger, but as a matter of what can be effectively changed, even smaller genocides must be dealt with.

dairygirl4u2c

"Do not be deceived: neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the Kingdom of God" (1 Cor 6:9-10).

JPII said these are all intrinsic evils. and fornication. and blasphemy. the list goes on.
http://jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2006/11/intrinsic_evil.html

maybe i should have said, "A politician will legalize theivery against whites. He's prolife. B won't legalize theievery against whites. he's prochoice, but ohterwise perfect. the change of abortion change occuring is one percent". what do we make of the sins or not of voting for B?

-----------

also, im giving way too much benefit to catholcis who say ya can't ever vote for someone who is prochoice. obvious intrisinc evils must beat prudential judgment, but that's only, id argue, when there's an effective chance the intrinsic evil voting would make a difference. if not, as hte popes say the issue is about 'proportionate" justifications.
i argue all this in my link on hte issue, in that other thread.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1287614439' post='2181131']
i should have clarified that the genocide in africa is a lot smaller than hte genocide of abortion.
yet, one would think we have to take the effective intrinsic evils into account- ie, abortion is bigger, but as a matter of what can be effectively changed, even smaller genocides must be dealt with.
[/quote]

a catholic can not vote for a pro abortion candidate just because he believes abortion will not be changed, so its a null matter. morals do not work that way. morals are not subjective. they can not be discarded just because the chances of changing a law to reflect moral law is minimal.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1287616539' post='2181144']
"Do not be deceived: neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the Kingdom of God" (1 Cor 6:9-10).

JPII said these are all intrinsic evils. and fornication. and blasphemy. the list goes on.
http://jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2006/11/intrinsic_evil.html

maybe i should have said, "A politician will legalize theivery against whites. He's prolife. B won't legalize theievery against whites. he's prochoice, but ohterwise perfect. the change of abortion change occuring is one percent". what do we make of the sins or not of voting for B?

-----------

also, im giving way too much benefit to catholcis who say ya can't ever vote for someone who is prochoice. obvious intrisinc evils must beat prudential judgment, but that's only, id argue, when there's an effective chance the intrinsic evil voting would make a difference. if not, as hte popes say the issue is about 'proportionate" justifications.
[/quote]

if both candidates support intrisically evil morals, then vote for niether of them. vote for another candidate, its not that hard. don't vote for candidiates who support evil morals.

dairygirl4u2c

don't all candidate have something intrinsically evil that they support?

do you think your position on the matter is the - clear- teaching of the catholic church? (I know Fio would disagree)

----

havok's tone seems to suggest 'it's not that hard' and other things he's said, that he's taking the positions based on his need for a clear answer, not as a respect for truth so much. i could and probably am reading too much into his psychology. i'm sure his approach is more reasoned, too, but, i'm just not seeing it yet.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

this is a thread hijack, but when do you plan to convert, Dairy? You've been here for 6 years, as far as I can tell, since I've been here.

dairygirl4u2c

well, i've considered being a catholic with a strange liberal/orthodox twist. i also really like the orthodox church, and am wondering if my hesitation is more because the standard mental frameworks psychology is that that's just random, or because it's not something i should do. my issue is with papal infallibility. as you might guess, i have authority issues. not just personal issues, intellectual as well.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c