An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adam And Eve

willguy

In your opinion, where did Adam and Eve go after they died?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='CreepyCrawler' date='Apr 18 2004, 06:01 PM'] what does it mean to be in limbo? [/quote]
Limbo was a place where souls that were destined for heaven went before Christ's death. After His death, which paid the price for their sins, He brought them to heaven (this is what we mean when we say that Christ "descended into hell," it is not the hell of eternal damnation but limbo).

Brother Adam

Isn't Christ's sacrifice timeless though? I mean, since Catholics bring Christ's sacrifice present today, wouldn't it still have been relavent in the time of oh say, Abraham and Isaac? ;)

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 18 2004, 06:23 PM'] Isn't Christ's sacrifice timeless though? I mean, since Catholics bring Christ's sacrifice present today, wouldn't it still have been relavent in the time of oh say, Abraham and Isaac? ;) [/quote]
I've wondered that. I guess you could say though that Christ's sacrifice is only effective for the person's salvation if they accept it (that was worded poorly, but you know what I mean). So, those people before Christ could not accept His sacrifice until it had been completed.

Livin_the_MASS

[url="http://www.therealpresence.org/essentials/creed/acc06.htm"]LIMBO[/url]

Limbo was where souls went before Our Lord came.

Now we have Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory.

Peace
Jason

Edited by Jason

Brother Adam

Can we know for sure?

And willguy, wasn't Abraham saved by faith?

Is "limbo" something that a Catholic has the option of believing or not? Or is it an official doctrine?

Also, Christ had to preach to the spirits in Prison... also known as Limbo, or Abraham's bosom.

Moses, Isaac, Abraham, etc... all were in Limbo. No one could go to Heaven until Christ had died and then went to Heaven.

Christ had to die before other could go to Heaven because God said that if Adam and Eve would eat of the tree, they would surely die. God keeps His word. The way that God redeems man is through Himself, God the Son became man - died, and then resurrected Himself. Since God was a real man and has died, and resurrected, then all men can be resurrected from the dead.

As far as we know, unless there cannonized as a Saint by the Church, we do not know where they are. My guess would be Heaven.

God Bless,
ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

Brother Adam

That's another thing that confuses me, if the Church can never judge someone (as far as look at me and say "Your going to hell" or "your going to heaven") then how can they know absolutely about the saints?

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 18 2004, 06:53 PM']That's another thing that confuses me, if the Church can never judge someone (as far as look at me and say "Your going to hell" or "your going to heaven") then how can they know absolutely about the saints?[/quote]
They study their lives, the mircales that the saint did. There is alot of study involved before a saint is cannonized.

The first stage is venerable (worthy of honor)

The second stage is Blessed (their is a known miracle the Church studies the case history of the venerable and the person that was cured.)

The third is Cannonization ( Two mircales are attributated to the Blessed. The Church also investigates these cases.)

Thus you have a saint but it does not happen over night, usually!

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 18 2004, 06:46 PM'] Can we know for sure?

And willguy, wasn't Abraham saved by faith?

Is "limbo" something that a Catholic has the option of believing or not? Or is it an official doctrine? [/quote]
The limbo of the saints, where those who died in God's friendship before the time of Christ went, is an official doctrine. The limbo where some say unbaptized infants go is not.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Jason' date='Apr 18 2004, 07:04 PM'] They study their lives, the mircales that the saint did. There is alot of study involved before a saint is cannonized.

The first stage is venerable (worthy of honor)

The second stage is Blessed (their is a known miracle the Church studies the case history of the venerable and the person that was cured.)

The third is Cannonization ( Two mircales are attributated to the Blessed. The Church also investigates these cases.)

Thus you have a saint but it does not happen over night, usually! [/quote]
So basically the Catholic Church CAN say or does have the authority to say who is going to heaven and hell?