An Old School Catholic Message Board

Atheist False God

dw24

Most of the people who believe in God are doing blind belief, the majority of the people in the world are blindly following the religion of their fathers. An atheist, on the other hand, even though he may belong to a religious family, uses his intellect to deny the existence of God; what ever concept or qualities of God he may have learnt in his religion may not seem to be logical to him.

for an atheist to say ‘there is no God’, he should at least know the concept of God. His concept of God would be derived from the surroundings in which he lives. The god that a large number of people worship has got human qualities - therefore he does not believe in such a god. Similarly most people too does not and should not believe in such false gods

AccountDeleted

I'm not really sure that I understand what you are trying to say here, but I was raised in an agnostic/atheist family and I can tell you that the prejudices and 'blind faith' are just as strong in an atheist as they are in a Christian (if that is your point).

So, far from following the 'religion of my fathers', I found myself searching for God in a variety of ways and experiences, until I came upon the fullness of truth in the Catholic Church, and a personal relationship with God through Christ Jesus.

So, if I am reading you correctly, I can't agree with your hypothesis. If I have misunderstood you, I apologize.

As a former agnostic (atheist? not sure about that), I can only say that I am glad that God stooped low enough to become a human being for my sake and I am most grateful that He also allowed me to experience the gift of faith through His Son and His Church.

pax xti

Actually many people misunderstand the Bible; they feel that the belief in Jesus as God is so widespread that it must have come from the Bible. below article shows quite conclusively that the Bible does not teach that.
The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is not God. In the Bible God is always someone else other than Jesus.

Some people say that something Jesus said or something he did while on the earth proves that he is God. We will show that the disciples never came to the conclusion that Jesus is God. And those are people who lived and walked with Jesus and thus knew first hand what he said and did. Furthermore, we are told in the Acts of the Apostles in the Bible that the disciples were being guided by the Holy Spirit. If Jesus is God, surely they should know it. But they did not. They kept worshipping the one true God who was worshipped by Abraham, Moses, and Jesus (see Acts 3:13).
All of the writers of the Bible believed that God was not Jesus. The idea that Jesus is God did not become part of Christian belief until after the Bible was written, and took many centuries to become part of the faith of Christians.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke, authors of the first three Gospels, believed that Jesus was not God (see Mark 10:18 and Matthew 19:17). They believed that he was the son of God in the sense of a righteous person. Many others too, are similarly called sons of God (see Matthew 23:1-9).
Paul, believed to be the author of some thirteen or fourteen letters in the Bible, also believed that Jesus is not God. For Paul, God first created Jesus, then used Jesus as the agent by which to create the rest of creation (see Colossians 1:15 and 1 Corinthians 8:6). Similar ideas are found in the letter to the Hebrews, and also in the Gospel and Letters of John composed some seventy years after Jesus. In all of these writings, however, Jesus is still a creature of God and is therefore forever subservient to God (see 1 Corinthians 15:28).

Now, because Paul, John, and the author of Hebrews believed that Jesus was God’s first creature, some of what they wrote clearly show that Jesus was a pre-existent powerful being. This is often misunderstood to mean that he must have been God. But to say that Jesus was God is to go against what these very authors wrote. Although these authors had this later belief that Jesus is greater than all creatures, they also believed that he was still lesser than God. In fact, John quotes Jesus as saying: “...the Father is greater than I.” (John 14:28). And Paul declares that the head of every woman is her husband, the head of every man is Christ, and the head of Christ is God (see 1 Corinthians 11:3).

Therefore, to find something in these writings and claim that these teach that Jesus is God is to misuse and misquote what those authors are saying. What they wrote must be understood in the context of their belief that Jesus is a creature of God as they have already clearly said.
So we see then, that some of the later writers had a higher view of Jesus, but none of the writers of the Bible believed that Jesus is God. The Bible clearly teaches that there is only one true God, the one whom Jesus worshipped (see John 17: 3).

Now Christians take their information about Jesus from the Bible, which includes the Old and New Testaments. These contain four biblical narratives covering the life and death of Jesus. They have been written, according to tradition, respectively by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are placed at the beginning of the New Testament and comprise close to half of it.

Encyclopedia Britannica notes that "none of the sources of his life and work can be traced to Jesus himself; he did not leave a single known written word. Also, there are no contemporary accounts written of his life and death. What can be established about the historical Jesus depends almost without exception on Christian traditions, especially on the material used in the composition of the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, and Luke, which reflect the outlook of the later church and its faith in Jesus.

[quote name='dw24' timestamp='1283859629' post='2169110']
Matthew, Mark, and Luke, authors of the first three Gospels, believed that Jesus was not God (see Mark 10:18 .....[/quote]

Mark 10:18
Jesus answered him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.

One of my favorite passages. As a connoisseur of sarcasm, dry wit, and 'i see what you did there'; I see this as Jesus is affirming that He is God; not denying it.

No one is good but God, and you called me good. So that means..........

You see what Jesus did there??? ;) I did!

I am sure others will come with better arguments and better light to illuminate in this thread... but welcome to Phatmass nonetheless.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1283860634' post='2169112']
Mark 10:18
Jesus answered him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.

One of my favorite passages. As a connoisseur of sarcasm, dry wit, and 'i see what you did there'; I see this as Jesus is affirming that He is God; not denying it.

No one is good but God, and you called me good. So that means..........

You see what Jesus did there??? ;) I did!

I am sure others will come with better arguments and better light to illuminate in this thread... but welcome to Phatmass nonetheless.
[/quote]

Alternatively Jesus could be saying he's not God :P

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='dw24' timestamp='1283859784' post='2169111']

Encyclopedia Britannica notes that "none of the sources of his life and work can be traced to Jesus himself; he did not leave a single known written word. Also, there are no contemporary accounts written of his life and death. What can be established about the historical Jesus depends almost without exception on Christian traditions, especially on the material used in the composition of the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, and Luke, which reflect the outlook of the later church and its faith in Jesus.
[/quote]
since your post is a cut and paste from your contradiction thread, I will cut and paste my response from there :)

Yes and no. Protestants are people of the book, we are people of the Church - the community founded by Jesus Christ in 33AD. The Church predates the collection of writings known as the New Testament by dozens of years. The Apostles and their chosen disciples were leading churches, preaching, teaching, and celebrating the breaking of the bread and the offering of the wine, transforming it into his Body and Blood since Emmaus.
The New Testament is a time capsule of the early Church, but it is not the entire Church. Christianity is based on Tradition [ what we hand on], Magisterium [ the authority it is based on - Jesus Christ] , and Scripture [a written authoritative history of teachings recognized as God- breathed]. Once you understand the basis of Christianity, then you will have a better chance of understanding us.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='dw24' timestamp='1283855319' post='2169097']
Most of the people who believe in God are doing blind belief, the majority of the people in the world are blindly following the religion of their fathers. An atheist, on the other hand, even though he may belong to a religious family, uses his intellect to deny the existence of God; what ever concept or qualities of God he may have learnt in his religion may not seem to be logical to him.

for an atheist to say ‘there is no God’, he should at least know the concept of God. His concept of God would be derived from the surroundings in which he lives. The god that a large number of people worship has got human qualities - therefore he does not believe in such a god. Similarly most people too does not and should not believe in such false gods
[/quote]
If you hang around here long enough you will discover that at phatmass this is simply not true.

[quote name='dw24' timestamp='1283855319' post='2169097']

[/quote]
So...are you related to dairygirl?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1283872211' post='2169160']
So...are you related to dairygirl?
[/quote]
It's his father, dairywoman (or "dw" for short).

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1283877950' post='2169196']
It's his father, dairywoman (or "dw" for short).
[/quote]
The puzzlebox is solved. Instead of physical torture by Cenobites, we get mental anguish from rambling incoherent posts.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1283879366' post='2169208']
Hooray for broad assumptions!
[/quote]
Yeah I agree. The sky is blue, so there are blue pigs flying around up there which can't be seen.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1283886798' post='2169254']
The puzzlebox is solved. Instead of physical torture by Cenobites, we get mental anguish from rambling incoherent posts.
[/quote]

That's no way to talk about Socrates!

Edited by Mark of the Cross

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='OraProMe' timestamp='1283862739' post='2169117']
Alternatively Jesus could be saying he's not God :P
[/quote]

No if that were true he would just come out and say that he is not. What he really did was question if the man believed that he was God or not. And he would not do that unless he was God.