An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contradiction

dw24

I do have a question about the accuracy of the bible. How come there's no supporting evidence that the Jews were enslaved in Egypt? How come no historian recorded King Herod ordering a massacre of babies in an attempt to kill Jesus?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='dw24' timestamp='1283781486' post='2168750']
Hi all, I really appreciate participating in your forum and will start my posting with new information. I have read many books and recently found some information contradicts to what we have been told like:

[/quote]

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1283878849' post='2169205']
We're supposed to debate a list of nonsensical headlines?

Learn how to formulate an argument, then get back to us.

[/quote]

Welcome to Phatmass 'dw24'...I think! 'Socrates' has a strange way of conveying Catholicism, but don't take it personally! If you stick around you will find that there are some nice people here who will patiently discuss your questions. He is correct about one thing though, your topics appear to belong more to the Islamic religion which we strongly disagree with and will vehemently argue against! It's nice though that no-one has responded in an uncharitable manner toward our Muslim neighbours, yet.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='OraProMe' timestamp='1283911735' post='2169522']
I do have a question about the accuracy of the bible. How come there's no supporting evidence that the Jews were enslaved in Egypt? How come no historian recorded King Herod ordering a massacre of babies in an attempt to kill Jesus?
[/quote]
The Old T' is very difficult to understand. Many of the stories make no logical sense if taken literally. One can only presume that there are hidden meanings and messages which will become clear to those it concerns when it concerns them.

[quote name='OraProMe' timestamp='1283911735' post='2169522']
[/quote]

What makes you think there's no evidence that the Egyptians kept Hebrew slaves? While it would be difficult to find evidence for the story of the Exodus as told...there's plenty of evidence of Hebrews in Egypt, IIRC.

The history channel has stuff on this all the time ;)

As for Herod, he's a minor footnote on history. If it weren't for Josephus, we'd be asking who Herod even was. The slaughter of the holy innocents was one small and not terribly significant deed, so it is lost to most of history.

But that begs the questions...why are the gospel accounts not included as historical records? They really should be....

SaintOfVirtue

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1283917343' post='2169575']
[/quote]

Last time I watched a "religious documentary" on history channel, they were talking about how the Arc of the Covenant was an ancient nuclear reactor given to the Jewish people by aliens who saw they were in great need battle superiority. After a few thousand years the Knights Templar started digging for it in the holy land. They found it and somehow it ended up in the hands of the Free Masons, who buried it on some small island off the eastern coast of Canada... History channel isn't very accurate. :|

What makes you think there's no evidence that the Egyptians kept Hebrew slaves? While it would be difficult to find evidence for the story of the Exodus as told...there's plenty of evidence of Hebrews in Egypt, IIRC.

As for Herod, he's a minor footnote on history. If it weren't for Josephus, we'd be asking who Herod even was. The slaughter of the holy innocents was one small and not terribly significant deed, so it is lost to most of history.

But that begs the questions...why are the gospel accounts not included as historical records? They really should be....
[/quote]

It was in a book I read at the start of the year. I might have gotten it wrong though, now I think about it I think the question is why isn't the sudden death of every first born in Egypt recorded anywhere other than the bible? Especially when the Egyptians recorded their history in so much detail, surely something as massive as a massacre of first born sons would be mentioned somewhere.

Mark of the Cross

[/quote]
What do you mean that they are not included in historical records? They are in the most published History book on earth the New Testament, as well as encyclopaedias! I would have thought that the New Testament would at least be considered an undisputed historical account of the man called Jesus. Many of the OT stories have never been validated, they've found lumps of wood on Mt Ararat for example but the story of Noah could not be considered as an historical account because there are so many controversies and lack of evidence. Many of the OT stories may be metaphors.