An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anti-Capitalism Political Ideas

Winchester

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='un.privileged' timestamp='1283403695' post='2166802']
Yes, He gave the power to kings, through the [i]consent[/i] of the people. The bible never said that God gave direct power to kings.

St. Cardinal Robert Bellarmine,
"It depends upon the [i]consent[/i] of the multitude to constitute over itself a king, consul, or other magistrate. This power is, indeed, from God, but vested in a particular ruler [i]by[/i] the counsel and election of men" ("De Laicis, c. 6, notes 4 and 5).
"The people themselves immediately and directly hold the political power" ("De Clericis," c. 7).
[/quote]

Even David himself, directly chosen by God to be king, had power only because "the people" (always meaning[i] the people who could effectively resist[/i]) gave their consent.

1 Samuel 16:1 "The LORD said to Samuel, "How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem[b]. I have chosen one of his sons to be king[/b]."

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser