An Old School Catholic Message Board

Survivalism Vs. Christianity

Cure of Ars

Not the Himalayas, the Andes (South America, border between Chile and Argentina). I believe the book is called [i]Alive![/i] or something like that. The crash happened in Oct. 1972, and 16 people survived for months on the mountainside.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Cure of Ars' timestamp='1282875974' post='2163888']
Due to current turbulent times I have found myself being attracted to survivalism and the prepper lifestyle. There are so many unknowns and dangers that can befall anyone at any moment that it feels foolish not to prepare for the worst. I feel the need to store years worth of food and water for my family to survive any possible calamity. But I have something that pulls on my conscious. Biblical verses like the following haunt my decisions on how much to invest into prepping.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat (or drink), or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? So do not worry and say, 'What are we to eat?' or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?' All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. (Matthew 6:25-32)

Then he told them a parable. "There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest. He asked himself, 'What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?' And he said, 'This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, "Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!" But God said to him, 'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?' Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God." He said to (his) disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life and what you will eat, or about your body and what you will wear. For life is more than food and the body more than clothing. Notice the ravens: they do not sow or reap; they have neither storehouse nor barn, yet God feeds them. How much more important are you than birds! Can any of you by worrying add a moment to your lifespan? If even the smallest things are beyond your control, why are you anxious about the rest? (Luke 12:16-26)

Now if didn’t worry about my life I would not invest much into prepping. So how much should be invested into worse case scenarios? Is a bug out bag and a bug out retreat biblical? Even birds migrate south for the winter. 1...2...3...DEBATE
[/quote]

I think there are a lot of basic things that a family can do to be prepared for an emergency without going overboard. This past winter people here had to survive up to a week with no electricity in 4 foot of snow and temps of 5 degrees. Can you do that, or survive whatever Mother Nature can throw at you in your part of the country? Flooding? Hurricanes? Tornadoes? Are you organized enough that you could leave your house in under one hour? If not, get organized. If you are then leave the rest up to God :)

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1283307109' post='2166140']
Not the Himalayas, the Andes (South America, border between Chile and Argentina). I believe the book is called [i]Alive![/i] or something like that. The crash happened in Oct. 1972, and 16 people survived for months on the mountainside.
[/quote]

The Andes huh? I sure love their mints !

ed

I needed this, I think. I've been running zombie/move to a farming commune situations too (I'm getting more hobbies for less free time to fret). I'm single and live within my means, but still have student loans. Hmm.