An Old School Catholic Message Board

Implicit Condoning Of Protestantism/scandal

Vincent Vega

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='MichaelFilo' timestamp='1287611253' post='2181119']
Non-profits are organizations with some sort of mission statement. Businesses are too. They should hold on to their mission statements. However, general moral principals don't apply to those entities. No business has, as a part of their charter, a promise to name branches a certain way.
[/quote]
Why do organizations receive special get-out-of-jail-free's? They're nothing more than a collection of individuals. If myself and a friend got together and started a group called "Catholic Buddies" and campaigned under that banner for state-funded abortion, that would be acceptable? No, of course not. So at what point does it become acceptable? When we have 4 members? 10? 500? 20,000?

Well, it depends on your mission statement, doesn't it? The "American Catholic Church" allows women to be priests and gays to marry. This is part of the reason it was created. If Catholic Buddies had as a part of it's mission a desire to promote Catholic dogmatic teaching and then went out and supported abortion then you can fault them.

Ascension Health wants to revolutionize health care by putting into place Catholic morality in healthcare. They are fulfilling their mission. The individuals have an obligation not to support Protestantism but the organization only is obliged to fulfill it's mission. An organization does not have moral duties, people do. It has ethical duties, but not moral ones. No organization can be bound to the requirements of Catholicism. (how can it get baptized?) It can only be bound to it's mission statement and values. Catholics within the organization have duties individually.

Let me give you an example. If you and your friends made "Catholic Buddies" you have individual duties not to support abortion, but if the institution has, as part of it's charter, a support for abortion, then we can say it is unethical (we agree baby murdering is unethical) and you cannot participate as a moral Catholic, at least not in that function.

The other problem is that simply having the name Baptist Health is no support for Protestantism. I am sure there is a town in Switzerland named Calvin and there is a town in Australia named Darwin. We do not imagine that those places, by their name, support those ideologies. Right?

[quote name='MichaelFilo' timestamp='1287615382' post='2181136']
The other problem is that simply having the name Baptist Health is no support for Protestantism. I am sure there is a town in Switzerland named Calvin and there is a town in Australia named Darwin. We do not imagine that those places, by their name, support those ideologies. Right?
[/quote]
The rest of the argument aside for the moment, I'd like to address this particularly specious bit.
1. While Darwin was indeed named after Charles Darwin, I could find no record whatsoever that there is a settlement, village, town, city, or other form of human inhabitation named Calvin in Switzerland. Even if there were a town so named, it would not be unquestionable to presume that the town was there before Mr Calvin began his reform.
2. You've committed at least a few classes of logical fallacies in this argument - so much so that I can't even begin to sort out exactly which you've violated.
In any case, you've based it on a false premise. Town and Hospitals are not even close to being the same thing. Does your town change its name every time you elect a new mayor? No, but in the arena of hospitals and other businesses, companies, and organisations of this kind, it is not uncommon to change the name of a facility when the ownership changes hands.

Also, a common argument that I'm seeing in this thread is that it could be from the name of St. John the Baptist...well, yes, it could be, except that history tells us it isn't. It's named after the heretical sect of Christianity.

Reread the mission statement/vision:
[quote] Our [u][b]Catholic[/b][/u] health ministry is dedicated to [u][b]spiritually centered, holistic care[/b][/u], which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
We envision a [u]strong, vibrant [b]Catholic[/b][/u] health ministry in the United States which will lead to the transformation of healthcare...We will expand the role of laity, in both leadership and sponsorship, to ensure a [u][b]Catholic[/b][/u] health ministry of the future.[/quote]
They unambiguously declare themselves Catholic multiple times. Tell me, since when has it become ok for a Catholic to openly endorse Protestantism?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1287616697' post='2181145']
The rest of the argument aside for the moment, I'd like to address this particularly specious bit.
1. While Darwin was indeed named after Charles Darwin, I could find no record whatsoever that there is a settlement, village, town, city, or other form of human inhabitation named Calvin in Switzerland. Even if there were a town so named, it would not be unquestionable to presume that the town was there before Mr Calvin began his reform.
2. You've committed at least a few classes of logical fallacies in this argument - so much so that I can't even begin to sort out exactly which you've violated.
In any case, you've based it on a false premise. Town and Hospitals are not even close to being the same thing. Does your town change its name every time you elect a new mayor? No, but in the arena of hospitals and other businesses, companies, and organisations of this kind, it is not uncommon to change the name of a facility when the ownership changes hands.

Also, a common argument that I'm seeing in this thread is that it could be from the name of St. John the Baptist...well, yes, it could be, except that history tells us it isn't. It's named after the heretical sect of Christianity.

Reread the mission statement/vision:

They unambiguously declare themselves Catholic multiple times. Tell me, since when has it become ok for a Catholic to openly endorse Protestantism?
[/quote]

That is the issue. Does a name endorse anything?

Also, you'll have to prove that an organization is the same as the individuals who work for it. It has very specific mission, it can only be held to that mission. Like I said, you cannot put Catholic expectations on businesses, but only individuals. Businesses are money making entities with missions, usually making money. Now you can argue the morality of simply making money, but that isn't the issue. In as much as no business is expected to be Catholic but only to work within Catholic bounds towards it's end then we cannot expect that every Catholic businesses will strategically name itself. Rather, by using the name Baptist it may indeed be attracting more customers who are experiencing the Catholic ideals of medical care, which is good, and good for their bottom line.

Their use of Catholic is always followed by "health ministry." They are defining one of their services, maybe their only service, not themselves.

• 1 month later...
Destroyer of Heretics

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1283093742' post='2164936']
They both ate bugs? :idontknow:
[/quote]## WtP eats hunny - "everyone knows" that