An Old School Catholic Message Board

Implicit Condoning Of Protestantism/scandal

Vincent Vega

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='morostheos' timestamp='1283124118' post='2165128']I don't know this specific situation, but hospitals primary mission is to treat ill patients and make them better
[/quote]
Which begs the question, being that it is a Catholic hospital, which is more important: the corporeal or spiritual well-being of the patients?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1283132251' post='2165188']
Which begs the question, being that it is a Catholic hospital, which is more important: the corporeal or spiritual well-being of the patients?
[/quote]

If patients choose to go to a different, non-Catholic affiliated hospital rather than their hospital, how is that helping their spiritual well-being?

I'm not saying that a Catholic owned hospital called "Baptist Hospital" makes sense, but I'm not involved with the hospital so I think it's best to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they were distributing contraceptives, I would be outraged. Keeping their name, not so much.

AccountDeleted

I probably need to think about this more but off the top of my head I am reminded of St Paul's words to be 'all things to all men' and also of Mother Teresa's work in the Home for the Dying which had Hindu statues all around it that she didn't remove. I think that it could be confusing if non-Catholic practices were being done there (like abortions) but otherwise, I don't see any reason for real concern. But that is just a quick point of view.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1283132251' post='2165188']
[/quote]
I would say being a Catholic hospital your question might be seen as a false dichotomy.

(but then maybe that's your point)?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1282805980' post='2163410']
It is called "Baptist Hospital".

Do you think that it is appropriate for a Catholic health care system (particularly one as visible as Ascension) to operate a hospital bearing the name "Baptist"?

Footnote - Baptist is technically a subsidiary of St. Thomas Health Services, which is in turn a subsidiary of Ascension Health.
[/quote]

Your footnote sums it up: it's more a business relationship than a faith relationship. Baptist Hospital was likely purchased from Baptist Healthcare and they just kept the name. Here in Louisville, we have Jewish Hospital & St. Mary's Healthcare formed from the merger of Catholic and Jewish providers. Regardless of the business relationships involved, we can only hope that they are faithful to the religion they claim to represent. Regardless of the name on the building, hopefully they follow Catholic Directive.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really sure about all of this. Some things have been done in the interest of ecumenism which I question. When John Paul II was archbishop of Cracow he allowed Billy Graham to preach in his cathedral. Does that condone or promote Protestantism?

S.

[quote name='Skinzo' timestamp='1285075284' post='2175059']
I'm not really sure about all of this. Some things have been done in the interest of ecumenism which I question. When John Paul II was archbishop of Cracow he allowed Billy Graham to preach in his cathedral. Does that condone or promote Protestantism?

S.
[/quote]

Depends on the context. Obviously preaching the homily during Mass wouldn't be legit. Outside of Mass, it all depends on why he was there and what he preached about.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1285203810' post='2175387']
Depends on the context. Obviously preaching the homily during Mass wouldn't be legit. Outside of Mass, it all depends on why he was there and what he preached about.
[/quote]

What he did was to have the usual "Billy Graham crusade" in the cathedral at Krakow.  Interestingly, Cardinal Wojtyla approved it and then went off to Rome where he was elected pope. 

S. 

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Skinzo' timestamp='1286063368' post='2177554']
What he did was to have the usual "Billy Graham crusade" in the cathedral at Krakow.  Interestingly, Cardinal Wojtyla approved it and then went off to Rome where he was elected pope. 

S. 
[/quote]

Well... it wouldn't be my choice if I were in his shoes. I'm curious to hear what he had to say in his defense.

Well I don't adhere to Protestant beliefs, but nevertheless I admire the faith and the courage of many protestants who, for example, dare to spread the Gospel and Bibles in Islamic countries or dare to risk their lives such as that protestant lawyer who was killed some days ago with all his family ( 5 children and his wife) because he wanted to defend a christian worker against an usurer in Pakistan.

HopefulBride

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1282806790' post='2163414']
They could be taking the name in some way from John the Baptist.
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing when I read the 3rd poll question.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1286167777' post='2177738']
Well... it wouldn't be my choice if I were in his shoes. I'm curious to hear what he had to say in his defense.
[/quote]

No, I don't think it would be my choice either. But I think one can cite many examples of  "implicit condoning" of some other things such as his kissing the Koran, and some trads were very upset about the prayer service in Assisi. 

S.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a business, it could name itself whatever it wants. It could name itself "The People's Soviet Republic Hospital" if it saw fit. Businesses are not moral entities, they are money making entities which offer services and goods to acquire the money.

[quote name='MichaelFilo' timestamp='1287417681' post='2180374']
It's a business, it could name itself whatever it wants. It could name itself "The People's Soviet Republic Hospital" if it saw fit. Businesses are not moral entities, they are money making entities which offer services and goods to acquire the money.
[/quote]
I see...that's why it's ok that certain local affiliations of Catholic Charities indirect support PP! :like:

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Non-profits are organizations with some sort of mission statement. Businesses are too. They should hold on to their mission statements. However, general moral principals don't apply to those entities. No business has, as a part of their charter, a promise to name branches a certain way.

[quote]Our Vision and Mission
Vision of Catholic Charities

Believing in the presence of God in our midst, we proclaim the sanctity of human life and the dignity of the person by sharing in the mission of Jesus given to the Church. To this end, Catholic Charities works with individuals, families and communities to help them meet their needs, address their issues, eliminate oppression, and build a just and compassionate society.

Mission of Catholic Charities

The mission of Catholic Charities is to provide service to people in need, to advocate for justice in social structures, and to call the entire church and other people of good will to do the same.

Mission of Catholic Charities USA

The mission of Catholic Charities USA is to exercise leadership in assisting its membership, particularly the diocesan Catholic Charities agencies and affiliate members, in their mission of service, advocacy and convening. [/quote]

[quote]Our Mission, Vision, and Values provide a strong foundation and guidance for the work we do in transforming healthcare in the United States. It serves as a framework that expresses our priorities in responding to the care of those most in need.
Mission

Rooted in the loving ministry of Jesus as healer, we commit ourselves to serving all persons with special attention to those who are poor and vulnerable. Our Catholic health ministry is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care, which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities. We are advocates for a compassionate and just society through our actions and our words.
Vision

We envision a strong, vibrant Catholic health ministry in the United States which will lead to the transformation of healthcare. We will ensure service that is committed to health and well-being for our communities and that responds to the needs of individuals throughout the life cycle. We will expand the role of laity, in both leadership and sponsorship, to ensure a Catholic health ministry of the future.
Values

We share a common vision and are called to act upon the following ideas and beliefs:

* Service of the Poor — Generosity of spirit, especially for persons most in need
* Reverence — Respect and compassion for the dignity and diversity of life
* Integrity — Inspiring trust through personal leadership
* Wisdom — Integrating excellence and stewardship
* Creativity — Courageous innovation
* Dedication — Affirming the hope and joy of our ministry
[/quote]

Edited by MichaelFilo