An Old School Catholic Message Board

Implicit Condoning Of Protestantism/scandal

Vincent Vega

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vincent Vega

I was browsing the internet tonight when I learned something interesting.

The largest Catholic healthcare system in the United States (and indeed, perhaps the world) is Ascension Health. I have always felt "close" to the system as I spent several years volunteering in one of their hospitals. The effect of working with, around, and in the service of ill and impoverished people under the example set by St. Vincent, and growing very close to some of the Daughters of Charity who worked in that hospital is what led me to convert to Catholicism. For that reason, that hospital and its parent company, Ascension, will always hold a place in my heart.

I was taken aback, though, when I came across this particular Tennessee medical centre, owned by Ascension:
http://www.baptisthospital.com/

It is called "Baptist Hospital".

Do you think that it is appropriate for a Catholic health care system (particularly one as visible as Ascension) to operate a hospital bearing the name "Baptist"?

[size="1"]Edit:
Footnote - Baptist is technically a subsidiary of St. Thomas Health Services, which is in turn a subsidiary of Ascension Health.[/size]

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Vincent Vega

[quote]Incorporated in 1918 and opening its doors to the community on March 20, 1919 as Protestant Hospital, our facility was built to meet the urgent healthcare needs of the city’s growing population. Protestant Hospital became Mid-State Baptist Hospital on April 21, 1948, and then later transitioned to BaptistHospital on Dec. 17, 1964.[/quote]
http://www.baptisthospital.com/history.php

Vincent Vega

In the South, there is no "Baptist Hospital" named after St. John the Baptist (unless, of course, the St. John the is tacked on) [size="1"](Speaking in broad generalizations of course...but there are, by my destination, at least one dozen different Baptist health systems/medical centers/etc., largely concentrated in the south, all affiliated with the ecclesial community/conference.)[/size].

Even if it were, virtually everyone in a culture where the Baptist "church" is one of the mainstays of life and society would immediately apply the connotation of the religious belief, not the religious figure, in which case it could still have room for scandal.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

KnightofChrist

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1282807145' post='2163416']
In the South, there is no "Baptist Hospital" named after St. John the Baptist (unless, of course, the St. John the is tacked on) [size="1"](Speaking in broad generalizations of course...but there are, by my destination, at least one dozen different Baptist health systems/medical centers/etc., largely concentrated in the south, all affiliated with the ecclesial community/conference.)[/size].

Even if it were, virtually everyone in a culture where the Baptist "church" is one of the mainstays of life and society would immediately apply the connotation of the religious belief, not the religious figure, in which case it could still have room for scandal.
[/quote]

It should be on their FAQ but its not. It is odd I do agree, have you written them? I just wonder what the reply would be. And yes I would agree it does cause confusion. It could cause some to believe the Church has united with the heretical baptist christian community.

Edited by KnightofChrist

It's a hospital, not a church?

I agree that it's odd, but I don't know how Baptist Hospital got 'bought out' by St. Thomas Health Services, and if this occurred before or after Ascension acquired St. Thomas. If the hospital is currently owned and operated by a Catholic group, I would think a name change is in order (such as 'St. John the Baptist Hospital'). If it's currently being operated by Baptists, why is it under St. Thomas' umbrella in the first place?

I don't think it's a scandal, just an unusual situation. I'm pretty sure everyone, everywhere knows that Baptists aren't Catholics. ;)

HisChildForever

It is misleading for a called Catholic hospital to be named "Baptist Hospital". Now according to the history you posted, it was founded as a Protestant hospital. However, since it is now owned by Catholics, the name should be changed. It would not be that difficult to tack "St. John the" in front of the current name.

I think it is a little more involved and a little more difficult than 'tacking it on' after the current name, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be done. Companies buy other companies all the time, and changing names, routing #'s, postal concerns, stationary, servers issues...etc. is a common part of acquisition.

I think that happened in Oklahoma City. We had one hospital named Baptist (where the burn center is) and Deaconess which is know for it obstetrics. I can't remember which one, but one of them was bought by the system that owns Mercy and St. Anthony's.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Paddington' timestamp='1283093506' post='2164935']
What do John the Baptist and Winnie the Pooh have in common?
[/quote]
They both ate bugs? :idontknow:

As [b]US Airways[/b] has posted above, the hospital changed its name twice - first in 1948, then in 1964. Changing it once again to reflect its new ownership seems reasonable to me, though of course the process is not instantaneous. Also, since it's had the same name for almost 50 years, there would probably be some resistance, which would be why it would be good to keep the 'Baptist' in there, just converting it to 'St. John the Baptist'. Or they could just try to rename it altogether.

Edited by MithLuin

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1283093742' post='2164936']
They both ate bugs? :idontknow:
[/quote]

Wild honey for sure.

And they both have the same middle name. :scholar:

I don't live in Tennessee, but looking at their website St. Thomas health services was traditionally the Catholic hospital in town and Baptist was the protestant hospital. I know here in western Virginia many people would not want to go to a Catholic hospital out of prejudice. While the hospital is part of a Catholic healthcare system, it seems to have kept it's protestant "feel." I don't know this specific situation, but hospitals primary mission is to treat ill patients and make them better - if changing the name to Catholic something interfered with that mission I could see the logic of holding onto the name Baptist Hospital.