An Old School Catholic Message Board

Philosophical Discussion Of Authority And Freedom

Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

First off, I'd like to make somethings clear.
I don't know if it's presumptuous or inappropriate of me to ask this, but I'd like to request that the powers-that-be that are our lovely moderating team keep a rather tighter handle on this thread than we're normally accustomed to. If that's not an option, then so be it, but I did ask.

I have intended this to be the most detailed, thorough, and exhaustive thread on Phatmass that deals with:
[list]
[*]the nature of authority;
[*]the nature of freedom; and
[*]the philosophical and theological basis of the above.
[/list]

Stern's particular political thought has been picking at my brain for months now. I accept some parts, some parts I'm not so sure about. Anyway, the thread isn't about me. I believe that Phatmass as a whole would be well served by a rational discussion of the ideas he brings forward, and an in-depth inquiry into the basis of Catholic thought on authority and freedom. We've discussed it on a variety of threads when the subject arises, but it too-frequently devolves into a mess of unsubstantiated assertions and a stubborn impasse.

I want this thread to be debate in its truest form.
From any who participate on this thread, I want you to promise, out of respect for me, that you refrain entirely from:
[list]
[*]ad hominem attacks;
[*]spam;
[*]off-topic posts;
[*]emotionally charged posts; and
[*][b]unsupported arguments.[/b]
[/list]

If you wish to make a point, then I hope that you will make it. I also expect however, that you back up your point with logical arguments and avoid scrupulously any and all kinds of personal comments. I want to emphasize this over and over again: YOU MAY ONLY ADDRESS THE ARGUMENTS AND POINTS MADE; YOU MAY NOT ADDRESS THE PERSON THEMSELVES OR THEIR MOTIVES OR ANYTHING BEYOND THE CONTENT OF THEIR POST.

Of course I'm not a mod and cannot enforce this, but if you have respect for my own intellectual inquiry, and if you also believe that an exhaustive discussion of these issues could be a valuable future resource for Phatmass, then please respect my suggestions.

I wrote up a list of basic questions that I think would be a decent starting point. The idea I had is that anyone can take any (or all) of these points and present what they believe to be rational answers which are intellectually consistent, and in keeping with our Catholic faith. Please post with some detail and as much thought as you can put into it, and don't worry about brevity. This is a situation that calls for as much detail as we can lend.
We should discuss the questions and offered answers and see if we are led to any conclusions.

[center][size="5"][b]List of Starting Questions:
[/b][/size][/center]
[indent][list]
[*]What is authority?

[*]From where does legitimate authority come?

[*]Who has authority? How was it gained?

[*]What is the purpose of authority?

[*]How is authority properly exercised?

[*]What are rights?

[*]What rights does Man possess?

[*]What is legitimate freedom?

[*]What is the ideal nature of freedom?

[*]Can authority and freedom be in conflict? If so, how must conflict between the two be resolved?

[*]How do freedom and rights differ?

[*]If a person with authority violates the rights of a group under him, is his authority entirely lost? Why or why not?
[/list][/indent]

[center]Enjoy. :)
[/center]

[right]-J.G.B.[/right]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1281735948' post='2156672']
I don't know if it's presumptuous or inappropriate of me to ask this, but I'd like to request that the powers-that-be that are our lovely moderating team keep a rather tighter handle on this thread than we're normally accustomed to. If that's not an option, then so be it, but I did ask. [/quote]
Gotta love threads that start like this... :blink: :banned:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1281739412' post='2156764']
Gotta love threads that start like this... :blink: :banned:
[/quote]
Sorry. ^_^ You know I don't say things like that very often.
Past experience leads me to think that it's necessary on a thread like this.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1281742473' post='2156811']
Nihil, all I can say is that I definitely support this thread!

Good post. : )
[/quote]
Feel free to repay me/show your support by riffing on some topics. :)

TeresaBenedicta

I'd like to come back to this when I have a little more time to think about and articulate some responses.

It seems a tad like a school assignment, and you do not have the authority to make me answer, however:

My overall feeling about the topic is that I feel most free when I willingly accept authority. It's a bit like being married and those nights when you are completely exhausted, and your spouse makes all the decisions about dinner. There is an instant feeling of relief. Authority is pretty much what we are willing to yield to.

I believe that the traditional Catholic perception is that we are to submit ourselves to all temporal authority in so far that it does not contradict the eternal laws of God. Sacred Scripture teaches us that temporal authority is invested by the Lord, so when the laws of that authority are in submission to the laws of God, then obeying them would be obeying God. Good citizenship is an example to those who are outside of the Church, that they may see the citizen's good works and behaviour and glorify God for his sake.

Edited by Bennn

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Bennn' timestamp='1281790227' post='2157094']
I believe that the traditional Catholic perception is that we are to submit ourselves to all temporal authority in so far that it does not contradict the eternal laws of God. Sacred Scripture teaches us that temporal authority is invested by the Lord, so when the laws of that authority are in submission to the laws of God, then obeying them would be obeying God. Good citizenship is an example to those who are outside of the Church, that they may see the citizen's good works and behaviour and glorify God for his sake.
[/quote]

Agreed, and this is why Anarchy is akin to Atheism.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Bennn' timestamp='1281790227' post='2157094']
[/quote]
Fair enough. So how, in your opinion, does one gain temporal authority, and how should it be properly exercised?

I prefer monarchy over democracy, and I believe this to be the best way. The Church (pope/bishops) would elect a monarch who is orthodox in his faith and would exercise his temporal power in obedience to the Magisterium of the Church. The Church would also have the authority to dethrone him if he were to become disobedient to the divine laws and enthrone someone who has proven to be orthodox in faith in his stead. Abominations such as abortion, euthanasia and false marriages between two people of the same gender would be punished by law because these things call down divine wrath upon a nation. If such crimes put a nation in danger of being divinely punished, then the temporal powers have every right to forbid them.

So, the monarchy would be constitutional, but the constitutions would only be in favour of orthodox Catholicism.

Nihil Obstat

So would it be an accurate summary of your views to say that "the nature of authority is to forbid (by force if necessary) that which displeases God"?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1281735948' post='2156672']
I don't know if it's presumptuous or inappropriate of me to ask this, but I'd like to request that the powers-that-be that are our lovely moderating team keep a rather tighter handle on this thread than we're normally accustomed to. If that's not an option, then so be it, but I did ask.

I have intended this to be the most detailed, thorough, and exhaustive thread on Phatmass that deals with:
[list]
[*]the nature of authority;
[*]the nature of freedom; and
[*]the philosophical and theological basis of the above.
[/list]

Stern's particular political thought has been picking at my brain for months now. I accept some parts, some parts I'm not so sure about. Anyway, the thread isn't about me. I believe that Phatmass as a whole would be well served by a rational discussion of the ideas he brings forward, and an in-depth inquiry into the basis of Catholic thought on authority and freedom. We've discussed it on a variety of threads when the subject arises, but it too-frequently devolves into a mess of unsubstantiated assertions and a stubborn impasse.

I want this thread to be debate in its truest form.
From any who participate on this thread, I want you to promise, out of respect for me, that you refrain entirely from:
[list]
[*]ad hominem attacks;
[*]spam;
[*]off-topic posts;
[*]emotionally charged posts; and
[*][b]unsupported arguments.[/b]
[/list]

If you wish to make a point, then I hope that you will make it. I also expect however, that you back up your point with logical arguments and avoid scrupulously any and all kinds of personal comments. I want to emphasize this over and over again: YOU MAY ONLY ADDRESS THE ARGUMENTS AND POINTS MADE; YOU MAY NOT ADDRESS THE PERSON THEMSELVES OR THEIR MOTIVES OR ANYTHING BEYOND THE CONTENT OF THEIR POST.

Of course I'm not a mod and cannot enforce this, but if you have respect for my own intellectual inquiry, and if you also believe that an exhaustive discussion of these issues could be a valuable future resource for Phatmass, then please respect my suggestions.

I wrote up a list of basic questions that I think would be a decent starting point. The idea I had is that anyone can take any (or all) of these points and present what they believe to be rational answers which are intellectually consistent, and in keeping with our Catholic faith. Please post with some detail and as much thought as you can put into it, and don't worry about brevity. This is a situation that calls for as much detail as we can lend.
We should discuss the questions and offered answers and see if we are led to any conclusions.

[center][size="5"][b]List of Starting Questions:
[/b][/size][/center]
[indent][list]
[*]What is authority?

[*]From where does legitimate authority come?

[*]Who has authority? How was it gained?

[*]What is the purpose of authority?

[*]How is authority properly exercised?

[*]What are rights?

[*]What rights does Man possess?

[*]What is legitimate freedom?

[*]What is the ideal nature of freedom?

[*]Can authority and freedom be in conflict? If so, how must conflict between the two be resolved?

[*]How do freedom and rights differ?

[*]If a person with authority violates the rights of a group under him, is his authority entirely lost? Why or why not?
[/list][/indent]

[center]Enjoy. :)
[/center]

[right]-J.G.B.[/right]
[/quote]

Authority is the ability to employ violence, the more monopolistic the right to inflict violence is, the more solid the authority. That authority is legitimate if the people under that authority view it as legitimate, which makes it a social construction. Man possesses whatever rights he can get from the power structure that exercises the ability to inflict violence upon him.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1281816891' post='2157362']
So would it be an accurate summary of your views to say that "the nature of authority is to forbid (by force if necessary) that which displeases God"?
[/quote]

Yes. Of course I do not mean killing heretics and all that. But the law should forbid immoral practices and false religions. Christ was incarnated and took a Human nature. Separating Church and state is like separating Christ's divinity and humanity from each other. It cannot be done.

I plead for a constitutional monarchy in favour of Catholicism. Democracy only works if only orthodox catholics get to vote, which is much harder to attain then one person who exercises his power in submission to Christ. And if he would rebel against Christ, it would be in the pope or bishop's duty to depose him and to elect another.

Edited by Bennn