An Old School Catholic Message Board

Disciplining Children

Galloglasses' Alt

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1282317229' post='2160595']
How dare you one-up Brute Beast so.

Having a 3 year old, or a 5 year old, or a 7 year old is nowhere near the same as having a brood of hungry and insane raptors that need disciplining because they ate the neighbors.
[/quote]

:cool:

I'm just biding my time until I have 4 teenagers in my house. lol That should be roughly the same as the brood of raptors.

A lot goes into training a baby, no doubt about it. But your discipline tactics generally change as the kid gets older; while a little swat on the back of the hand might work for a baby the same trick isn't going to work as well for the 3, 5, or 7 year old. But that's kind of a duh thing. :saint:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1282330806' post='2160692']
Wanna bet?? Just wait :)
[/quote]

:hehe: Only at meal times.

Discipline (as most people think of it) doesn't really happen much before the age of 2. It's not that you don't train the baby - you do. But in the baby stage, it's more a question of what the baby is [i]able[/i] to do, and you try to train them to what they shouldn't do, but it is up to whomever is watching the baby to make sure they don't go splash in the toilet or touch the hot stove. Because, really, babies just don't know better a lot of times.

Willful disobedience is more of a toddler trait, so that's when you get into the power struggles and having to punish bad behavior. If you tell the toddler not to hit the baby, and she looks at you and smiles, then hits the baby....there needs to be a consequence. Sitting in time out can be a very effective one for some toddlers, but it doesn't work for all. I would think most parents try a trial-and-error approach.

Children are not naturally well-behaved angels. They need to be trained. Parents have to choose their battles, and realize that no child is perfect. But lifelong discipline won't just 'happen' either. If parents neglect their responsibilities and you wind up with feral children...well, that's hardly commendable!