An Old School Catholic Message Board

Many Universe Theories & Lhc

Ziggamafu

Based on my extremely limited knowledge, I am under the impression that when the Large Hadron Collider fires up to full power it could very well detect the so-called "God particle", and (among other things) confirm current theories of many - perhaps infinite - universes. IF the experiments confirm this (and if I'm totally off here, just shift this into another sci-fi scenario), would there be theological implications? I mean, I'm sure it would give the Church cause to voice some sort of opinion on the issue, but I'm more curious about hypothetical new discussions / topics in theology.

I don't have a problem with the idea that God has created things we haven't discovered yet, don't understand well yet, or may never be able to understand.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='01 August 2010 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1280706137' post='2150628']
Based on my extremely limited knowledge, I am under the impression that when the Large Hadron Collider fires up to full power it could very well detect the so-called "God particle", and (among other things) confirm current theories of many - perhaps infinite - universes. IF the experiments confirm this (and if I'm totally off here, just shift this into another sci-fi scenario), would there be theological implications? I mean, I'm sure it would give the Church cause to voice some sort of opinion on the issue, but I'm more curious about hypothetical new discussions / topics in theology.
[/quote]
I think it would just change the terms we have to use. Instead of "God created the universe", "God created the universes."

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='01 August 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1280718796' post='2150735']
The time of the end of[/quote]
The Pakistan.

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='01 August 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1280706137' post='2150628']
[/quote]
While admittedly I'm no physicist, the whole idea of "multiple universes" seems extremely hypothetical at best, and I don't see how the collider could provide direct evidence of multiple universes, unless scientists are actually able to walk through a magic wardrobe and talk to Aslan or something.

From what I've seen, multiple universes, or infinite universes, are a wild hypothesis posited by atheists to explain why we have a cohesive "functioning" universe with no Creator. (If there's an infinite number of universes out there, at least one's going to get it right!) I find this unscientific and philosophically sloppy (basically proposing an infinite regression to explain what could be explained with One Creator).

The whole thing smells of bs to me.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

If there are parallel universes, then by definition of them being parallel and non-intersecting, we couldn't really know them due to this lack of intersection and a lack of data. If they do intersect and we can know them (there is some data), then they are obviously in some way one universe in that they connect and intersect and in some way are knowable.

If there are multiple universes, theology will be greatly affected. Whole new fields will be opened up. Instead of our current drab & overworked topics - Christology, Mariology, theology of work, theology of the body, liberation theology (there's no need to list them here - you know them better than I do) we will witness the emergence of fascinating new areas of the divine science. I can foresee Theology of Science Fiction (which really should have started immediately after Jules Verne began publishing), Theology of Aliens (presaged in "The Day the Earth Stood Still," "ET," "Star Wars," etc), and Theology of the Teeny-Tiny (presaged in "Men In Black" and the primary object of which is the God particle), to name just a few. (BTW, all of these will be classified as subfields of speculative theology.) Theologians will argue endlessly about intriguing and important new questions - not "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" but "If Jesus ascended into heaven, was He maybe really just moving on to the next universe to bring salvation there, too?" and "Is their fast food any better than ours here?"

I can't wait!

Many worlds theory, simplified.

The problem occurs with the definitiion of a quantum event. The multiverse theory says that each time (each time being, pretty much constantly) a quantum fluctuation occurs, the universe in which it occurs will 'spilt' forming two, (up until the point of fluctuation) identical universes each showing the different result of the particular quantum event.

This would result in a HUGE number of universes.

There are many other models however, one which is reassuring as to the existence of God is the one that suggests the collapse of a particle into a waveform when it is under no point of observation. Basically, if we didn't look at say, an electron, it would slowly begin to collapse back into it's wave form, and would cease to exist as a particle. Right, so if you're still following, relate this to a larger body, let's say, the moon. This too, theoretically, could begin to collapse into waveform should no one look at it for long enough and slowly (several millions of years slowly) but surely it would begin to collapse into a wave form. The observer also has to be intelligent enough for this to work, so a bacterium 'looking' at the eletron may not cause it to stay as a particle.
Our world is in particle form, and does not appear to be drifting off, this has the direct result that either:

1. We, as humans, are important enough to keep the universe from collapsing.
2. Some other intelligent observer, with the ability to view all things at all times, is watching our universe.

(Sorry to any other physicists if I've got any of the smaller details wrong!)
T

[quote name='Fragments' date='03 August 2010 - 04:33 AM' timestamp='1280824406' post='2151412']
Many worlds theory, simplified.

The problem occurs with the definitiion of a quantum event. The multiverse theory says that each time (each time being, pretty much constantly) a quantum fluctuation occurs, the universe in which it occurs will 'spilt' forming two, (up until the point of fluctuation) identical universes each showing the different result of the particular quantum event.

This would result in a HUGE number of universes.

There are many other models however, one which is reassuring as to the existence of God is the one that suggests the collapse of a particle into a waveform when it is under no point of observation. Basically, if we didn't look at say, an electron, it would slowly begin to collapse back into it's wave form, and would cease to exist as a particle. Right, so if you're still following, relate this to a larger body, let's say, the moon. This too, theoretically, could begin to collapse into waveform should no one look at it for long enough and slowly (several millions of years slowly) but surely it would begin to collapse into a wave form. The observer also has to be intelligent enough for this to work, so a bacterium 'looking' at the eletron may not cause it to stay as a particle.
Our world is in particle form, and does not appear to be drifting off, this has the direct result that either:

1. We, as humans, are important enough to keep the universe from collapsing.
2. Some other intelligent observer, with the ability to view all things at all times, is watching our universe.

(Sorry to any other physicists if I've got any of the smaller details wrong!)
T
[/quote]

Wow. That's really interesting. Do you have any links that talk about that?

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='03 August 2010 - 09:52 AM' timestamp='1280847154' post='2151474']
Wow. That's really interesting. Do you have any links that talk about that?
[/quote]
Links, not right now but I might be able to dig some up tomorrow, I can recommend a couple books if you like the quantum stuff, PM me about it if you like!

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='03 August 2010 - 08:48 AM' timestamp='1280850504' post='2151487']
Ok children, get back on topic, stop wasting bandwidth :club: or else....
[/quote]
[b]everyone,[/b] phorum-wide, has already been warned about posting lame pictures/phrases off-topically.

do it again, you two (meaning Hassan and Winchester), and i'm taking away the keyboards.

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Lil Red' date='03 August 2010 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1280861049' post='2151563']
everyone, phorum-wide, has already been warned about posting lame pictures/phrases off-topically.

do it again, you two, and i'm taking away the keyboards.
[/quote]
Sounds like I missed all the fun. Who are "you two"? I assume I'm one of them.

If you, or someone you know, are the other person implied in "you two," then send me a self-addressed stamped envelope and I will respond within 4-5 business days.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' date='03 August 2010 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1280866426' post='2151600']
Sounds like I missed all the fun. Who are "you two"? I assume I'm one of them.

If you, or someone you know, are the other person implied in "you two," then send me a self-addressed stamped envelope and I will respond within 4-5 business days.
[/quote]
hassan and winchester. i will edit my other post to be more clear in my chastisement.