An Old School Catholic Message Board

One Rite

Bennn

In a letter to the bishops that came along with the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum, Pope Benedict said that it is no longer appropiate to refer to the ordinary form and extraordinary form of the Mass as two different rites, but as two expressions of the same Rite.

Does this mean that we are not allowed to use terms such as 'Tridentine rite' and 'ancient rite' to refer to the Traditional Latin Mass?

I have simply been wondering about this for a while, whether it's okay to call the TLM the Tridentine rite or not.

Any thoughts?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Bennn' date='31 July 2010 - 08:27 AM' timestamp='1280582828' post='2150241']
In a letter to the bishops that came along with the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum, Pope Benedict said that it is no longer appropiate to refer to the ordinary form and extraordinary form of the Mass as two different rites, but as two expressions of the same Rite.

Does this mean that we are not allowed to use terms such as 'Tridentine rite' and 'ancient rite' to refer to the Traditional Latin Mass?

I have simply been wondering about this for a while, whether it's okay to call the TLM the Tridentine rite or not.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]
I've been avoiding that anyway. I say Latin rite to refer to all Latin Catholics, then ordinary and extraordinary form to distinguish between the celebrations of the Mass. I don't like the word extraordinary though- it's too much of a mouthful to pronounce. :lol:

It is improper to refer to the extraordinary form of the mass as the tridentine rite. You could say the tridentine mass or the tridentine form, but it is not a rite in itself. It is still the latin rite mass, but it is the extraordinary form of the latin rite. Both the novus ordo and the tridentine form of the mass are the latin rite.

[quote name='Slappo' date='31 July 2010 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1280609583' post='2150351']
It is improper to refer to the extraordinary form of the mass as the tridentine rite. You could say the tridentine mass or the tridentine form, but it is not a rite in itself. It is still the latin rite mass, but it is the extraordinary form of the latin rite. Both the novus ordo and the tridentine form of the mass are the latin rite.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. Though I have even read quotes from Cardinal Ratzinger that he even disliked the term 'Tridentine' as well, because the Quo Primum of St. Pope Pius V had already been abbrogated by St. Pope Pius X when he added some things to the Liturgy. His point was that the TLM of today is no longer Tridentine, but the Missal of Blessed John XXIII (1962). The substance, however, has of course remained the same (save some minor changes by Popes) until the promulgation of the new Missal in 1970.

Recently, a Cardinal (Canizares?) has proposed to call it the Liturgy of St. Gregory. I personally like that name. :)

No big deal of course. I was just curious about this because I have seen many people still referring to the TLM as Tridentine, while this seems to be rather incorrect.

Edited by Bennn