An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Formation Really Like?

IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JTheresa' date='27 July 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1280263372' post='2148834']
My community still does it. The only thing that they keep seperate is mealtimes and the professed don't come into the novitiate building. They only do this because they don't want to worry about the entire community forming the novices and postulants, just the novice or postulant mistress. On Saturdays we have a scheduled recreation with the simple professed, and on Sundays we eat in the professed dining room. They also do a lot of traveling together when they are giving retreats and stuff, and quite a few of the professed teach the postulants and novices classes. So there are some limitations, but they aren't horrible. I used to think it was really dumb, but I guess I undersand now. I definitely don't want to be more confused than I already will be lol.
[/quote]

Oh wow! I think that is [i]really[/i] cool! I like that balance of interaction. :smokey:

A small correction given to me by a friend: Lay Sisters DO exist today, as do Externs, but they are not considered to be in a "different class" nor are they regulated ONLY for manual labor, which I believe the article makes very clear.

DevotedtoHim

Thanks for the link but honestly that article was sort of complicated and hard to read. I guess maybe I am not a scholar!

Katherine