An Old School Catholic Message Board

Killing Oj Simpson

dairygirl4u2c

As for taking the law into your own hands....that has unintended consequences, and those will also be on your head.

Two movies for your consideration:

The Oxbow Incident (1943) [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIDfzCzdjcs]trailer[/url]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5FG-tBO0B8[/media]

It is a situation where the law is not entirely equipped to handle justice, and so 'taking it into your own hands' is at least a semi-approved option. The sheriff can deputize everyone in the posse, making it more-or-less legal. But whether or not such a snap judgment and private justice is actually....just...is another matter entirely. Hesitation is certainly called for in this instance, and a mob calling for the life of a man is seldom an example of justice. Obviously, the story was written in opposition to lynch mobs.

The other movie is the Boondock Saints (1999) [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Mt5yDqngM]trailer[/url]

Warning! Inappropriate language in the video below!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqq9MpbQ9uU[/media]

Here, they've decided that they know who the scum of the earth are, and so they'll just take them out. Make everyone's life better, yeah? Except...it doesn't quite work that way. They go after some mobsters, yes. But they also take out some random lowlifes (guys who happened to be at a strip joint) and a cat (collateral damage). Even though the movie is written to approve of their actions, it's clear that it's a rather flawed approach to life. Viewing yourself as God's avenging angel isn't exactly...sane or healthy. There's a [i]reason[/i] they weren't allowed to shoot this in any Catholic church. Still, I'm a sucker for cute guys with Irish accents, so I find it quite easy to be taken in (especially if it's the cut-for-TV version without the cat and with most everything bleeped out.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1294685834' post='2198644']
The justice system is to keep chaos at bay. There are people who believed I deserved to die for betraying my race. There are people who believe that Obama deserves to die for his pro-abortion views. There are people who think homosexuals deserve to die, or drug addicts or gamblers. There are people who believe the Westboro Baptist church should all be done away with. If we could all take the law into our own hands, decide what the law should be from our own perspectives, then only the strongest, meanest people would survive.
[/quote]

this

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1294718315' post='2198846']
Still, I'm a sucker for cute guys with Irish accents, so I find it quite easy to be taken in (especially if it's the cut-for-TV version without the cat and with most everything bleeped out.
[/quote]

Same here... God help us! :P

Dairy, I do not know where you heard that O.J. admitted killing anyone. Plus he was acquitted by a jury of his peers after being tried and convicted in the media and the average persons mind before it ever went to trial. No matter what your feelings are he was acquitted of the murders, this last mess he is incarcerated for he was fairly convicted of, robbery of personal items that were being sold by a disreputable person with no clear explanation of how he came up with the items, but armed robbery is a crime , and they had real evidence, something they did not have in the murder trial, so he deserves the prison time. As far as killing him, wow you have some strange thoughts, he poses no threat to society behind bars so there is no reason to kill him, and he must face God someday.

ed

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1294809895' post='2199265']
Dairy, I do not know where you heard that O.J. admitted killing anyone. Plus he was acquitted by a jury of his peers after being tried and convicted in the media and the average persons mind before it ever went to trial. No matter what your feelings are he was acquitted of the murders, this last mess he is incarcerated for he was fairly convicted of, robbery of personal items that were being sold by a disreputable person with no clear explanation of how he came up with the items, but armed robbery is a crime , and they had real evidence, something they did not have in the murder trial, so he deserves the prison time. As far as killing him, wow you have some strange thoughts, he poses no threat to society behind bars so there is no reason to kill him, and he must face God someday.

ed
[/quote]

how about his book ? "I didnt kill my wife *wink wink* but if i did, here is how i would have done it"

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1294712775' post='2198813']
Taxes, and anything else it has the rights to do.[/quote]

I didn't see Jesus say that at all.

[quote]Living in a democratic republic (well, up here it's a monarch republic), the government doesn't have any right that we don't already have.[/quote]

Of course. The government doesn't have any right that you don't already have, except to take money from your neighbors at gunpoint or the threat of violence, and provide monopoly "services" for them, threatening any competition that dares to edge in.

[quote]If we can't go into private property to take something and say, this person is doing this, because that is stealing, than the police doesn't either - for instance, until they can prove to a judge that there is ample evidence something will be found there.[/quote]

I don't know where you're from. Here, if they don't find anything, they simply plant evidence. It happens on a routine basis. They get[i] caught [/i]doing it more than every once in a while.

[quote]Therefore, my government doesn't have the right to tell me to go murder someone who is just as equally unwilling to put themselves and others in danger by going to war - but feels compelled to by the state. The Geneva convention (yes, a broken record here) says the state doesn't have the right to force me to do anything that offends my conscience - that is why people who said - well, Hitler made me do it, are still being convicted of war crimes, because they did have a right to saw no and they didn't.[/quote]

Does it offend your conscience to pay taxes that will be used to buy ammunition that will be used murder someone?

[quote]So we only need to render onto the government what it has a right to ask of us for, defined by the constitutions of our nations. Some people might not like this, but I think it is the best kind of government possible, because anything else is harmful to humanity.[/quote]

The State murdered 200,000,000 in the 20th century. That could not have been done without the power to conscript or the power to tax. The State is harmful to humanity.

~Sternhauser

[b]"Who shall bring charge against God's elect? [i]It is God who justifies[/i]. Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intersessions for us."(Romans 8: 33-34) [/b]

I do not believe that any man, woman, judge or jury has the right to decide whether a person should be executed for their sins. Putting someone in prison is one thing, but execution? We should not be condemning any person to that fate. What they did, and how they make up for it, should be between them and God.

Now I could be misinterpreting these two verses, but that is what I get from them.
[b] [/b]

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1294811226' post='2199273']
how about his book ? "I didnt kill my wife *wink wink* but if i did, here is how i would have done it"
[/quote]

His book, it did exactly what he intended it to do, it made him loads of money.

ed

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1294880508' post='2199489']

ed
[/quote]

I still find it madly suspicious. Many people have been sentenced to prison terms or death when they turned out to be innocent, and even more have been acquitted of a crime that they were guilty of. Legally, he aint a killer. In reality, im pretty sure he is.

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1294877245' post='2199472']
I do not believe that any man, woman, judge or jury has the right to decide whether a person should be executed for their sins. Putting someone in prison is one thing, but execution? We should not be condemning any person to that fate. What they did, and how they make up for it, should be between them and God.
[/quote]

For their sins? No. Nobody should be killed by man because they are a sinner. Only because they pose a grave physical threat to other human beings, whether they are guilty or not. And only if prison is incapable of stopping them. A just execution is carried out for the same reason a rabid dog is executed: they pose a grave threat to others that cannot be stopped by any other means, not because it's a "bad dog."

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1294881500' post='2199501']
For their sins? No. Nobody should be killed by man because they are a sinner. Only because they pose a grave physical threat to other human beings, whether they are guilty or not. And only if prison is incapable of stopping them. A just execution is carried out for the same reason a rabid dog is executed: they pose a grave threat to others that cannot be stopped by any other means, not because it's a "bad dog."
[/quote]

But that's a dog. A dog can't "repent for it's sins" if you give it a second chance. A human can. I understand that we have to stop those who pose a great threat, but by execution?

And what about that small percentage that someone may be innocent? I'm not defending OJ in anyway, on account of not really knowing what happened, but it can be possible.

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1294948443' post='2199742']
But that's a dog. A dog can't "repent for it's sins" if you give it a second chance. A human can.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I stipulated that only in cases which someone poses a grave threat should they be executed, and [i]not[/i] because they are "sinners." If someone truly repents, they aren't really a threat, are they?

[quote] I understand that we have to stop those who pose a great threat, but by execution? [/quote]

Do people still get killed in prison by violent men?

[quote]And what about that small percentage that someone may be innocent? I'm not defending OJ in anyway, on account of not really knowing what happened, but it can be possible.[/quote]

What about them? Why are we killing people who do not clearly pose a grave threat? I'm not advocating that. Are you?

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1294880508' post='2199489']

ed
[/quote]
No it didn't. The money went to the Goldman family.