An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll: Where Is Your Heart?

Sarah147

Your prayer, spirituality and apostolate:  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Divine Mercy 9999

Good poll.

I chose the Rosary and using a spiritual book for prayer. I love my rosary... I learned it way before I was Catholic. My favorite prayer time is when I go to Adoration. I pray my rosary and usually have a good book to meditate on (lesson from St Teresa.)

For spirituality, I chose Carmelite and "other" -other being Visitation. I love Elijah on Mount Carmel listening for God in the still small voice. The Visitation sisters just seem to have a gentleness that is appealing.

Apostolates would be prayer and retreat centers... .

Great poll!
[b]Where does you heart MOST OFTEN go in prayer?[/b]
Divine Mercy Chaplet! Definitely number one
Just be in His presence
Spontaneous
Scripture Reading
Spiritual reading
Divine Office

I also like to sing (although Im bad at it) but forgot to vote that. I didnt vote the Rosary although I love it but I often dont have enough time to say the whole thing and usually only do a decade as Im drifting off to sleep.
[b]What spirituality are you most drawn to?[/b]
Carmelite
Marian
Ignatian

Ignatian and Marian were easy for me to be drawn to but Carmelite was harder and I resisted God on it at first, and still do occasionally. Why resist? I thought all the Carmelite saints were :crazy: so God sent a couple of them after me and after getting to know the spirituality better I am in awe and :love: ... [size="1"]but still think theyre [/size]:crazy: :hehe:
[b]What apostolate are you most drawn to?[/b]
Prayer/Contemplation
I didnt want this but God drew me to it

Edited to fix format & typo

Edited by vee8

I'd also like to add I like praying the rosary much more when I'm doing it with others than alone. Maybe that'll change over time since I'm still a n00b.

lookingforfaith

I typed out a long, and well thought out answer for this poll last night..then lost internet connection. So here's round two!!!

For the Prayer question, I chose The Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, Just be in His presence, Spontaneous and Church Written prayer. I may have answered too hastily because I would have also chosen Compose Poetry/Song. I love writing poems to God...they're my love poems... :love:

For Spirituality I chose Francisican and Dominican. Franciscan is number one with me for a variety of reasons. First off, the first priests I ever really knew as a child were Franciscan. I was introduced to the Franciscan way of life early and fell in love with it. The poverty and simplicity of life is incredibly attractive. Giving everything to God and trusting Him to meet whatever your needs are is amazing. I also LOVE St. Francis of Assisi and how he gave up EVERYTHING up to serve God and to bring God to people...not to mention almost all my favorite saints have been Franciscan...St. Clare of Assisi, St. Joseph of Cupertino, St. Padre Pio, Not to mention the JOY! The incredible joy of their life is incredible! It's not a placid fake kind of joy but a true, simple happiness and contentment that just flows through them and is completely infectious!! ([size="1"]Not to mention, but I think they have the best habits. :hehe:)[/size]

I also chose Dominican because while I love the Franciscan way of life, I have to hand it to the Dominicans...the education of our youth in the Catholic faith is CRUCIAL to the Church, and they are truly doing that. We need proper Catechism and youth formation and I can't think of better teachers than the Dominicans! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/teacher.gif[/img]

For the apostolate question I chose Catechesis, Evangelization, Parish ministry, Retreat ministry/Spirituality and I meant to also choose the Prayer/Contemplation option, but missed it.

elizabeth09

Prayer: Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet, because they go thou me the most

Drawn to? Carmelite. They were there at a camp that I was at.

Drawn to? Education, because I love children

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='23 July 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1279913888' post='2146958']
I just have to put a plug in for the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. Have you ever discerned with them? I visited them in January this year, and while I knew they weren't for me, they were wonderful! They sound like they have everything you are drawn to. :))
[/quote]

I briefly thought about them ... but they have an age limit that I've exceeded (35 -- I'm 39). I'd have to really discern them too -- although I do think they do wonderful work and seem like a wonderful community, they are a new community and my last experience was a *really* bad experience with a new community where the sisters were younger. That makes me all the more hesitant.

[quote name='cmariadiaz' date='25 July 2010 - 01:18 AM' timestamp='1280035084' post='2147754']
I briefly thought about them ... but they have an age limit that I've exceeded (35 -- I'm 39). I'd have to really discern them too -- although I do think they do wonderful work and seem like a wonderful community, they are a new community and my last experience was a *really* bad experience with a new community where the sisters were younger. That makes me all the more hesitant.
[/quote]
I noticed that you said door to door evangelization in your apostolate section? Have you looked at the Franciscan Sisters Minor? They are also newer, (10 years) but they seem to have a good mix of younger and older sisters. They aren't a really big order either, and I'm not sure what the age limit is for vocations. They follow the Capuchin Franciscan order, one of the few female communities who do. Feel free to ask or PM me if you are interested. They are a lovely group of sisters!

Wow. This turned out just beautiful. The responses have been wonderful. This is great for the discernment process. It's also very interesting to see in the poll where hearts are drawn.

I haven't voted yet because I'm still unsure of the Spirituality part. I don't know about all the different types. I know I am drawn to simplicity and joy, which I saw in Franciscans... I like the depth of St. Teresa of Avila... So I'm not sure what fits me yet. Maybe a new thread coming up...

For prayer, I vary at different times. I was very devoted to the Divine Mercy Chaplet and Rosary for a long time, and came to have less time and desired freer prayer, less repititious, but I am desiring to return to Rosary and learn to get deep into the mysteries. I like to do the Morning Office as often as I have the time for, and I hope to get deeper when I pray this. I want to begin praying regularly with Scripture and often with a Spiritual Book. I wish I had good ability with poetry and song, and maybe I will develop it, but I do enjoy singing whatever song I know that comes to me.

But most of all, the top that I do every prayer time would be:
-Spontaneous (speak from the heart)

-Just be in His Presence, in the silence, in His love. (Even when I can't be by Him in the Tabernacle, I'll meditate and visualize Him in the Tabernacle.)

-Office (Liturgy of the Hours)

For apostolates, this has taken me so long because I don't know my talents and abilities well at all... But I'm leaning toward Prayer/Contemplation, and Retreat ministry/Spirituality.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Hi everybody, I figure this is a good topic to introduce myself. I just discovered Phatmass a few days ago, and since then I haven't been able to stop reading through VS, and I finally just got to enough posts in other forums to finally be able to post here! I can't believe a community like this exists and I've been so affirmed in my own discernment just by reading through your discussions of the past few weeks. I'm so impressed with the level of charity, honesty, and support that seems to live here.

Anyway, about me...
When it comes to prayer it seems that the first place my heart goes is spontaneous prayer. In fact, years ago when I was first starting to consciously develop my relationship God, I realized that I didn't really know how to pray. One night I was lying in my bed and I just started talking. Since then conversational, out-loud prayer has become something of a go-to. I think that prayer style fits well with my personality, and it really helped me as I was making that shift from knowing [i]about [/i]Jesus to knowing Jesus. Of course, I have a running joke with God that I never shut up long enough for him to actually get a word in, so this type of prayer (at least for me) has to be complimented by silence and just being with the Lord. I do best at this when I'm able to be in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, but unfortunately when I'm home for summer that's hard to do. Lastly, I picked the Liturgy of the Hours. A seminarian friend got me started on it about a year ago and I've fallen in love with it. It creates such a beautiful rhythm of the day and comes so naturally. It's also helped me to engage with the Psalms on a level that always used to elude me. Next to daily Mass, I would say that the Divine Office becomes my life's breath each day.

For spirituality I picked Marian and Franciscan. Reading St. Louis de Montfort a few years back played a huge part in getting me to let go of some of my fears and embrace the first stages of discernment. I loved what he wrote about putting everything of ourselves into Our Blessed Mother's hands. In particular, his image of throwing ourselves into her just as a tiny pebble is thrown into the ocean spoke volumes to me, and I find that in times that I'm struggling to really let go of my own will, I return to that image. As for Franciscan, I've always loved Francis, plain and simple! He is one of the first saints I ever remember learning about and I just love how he was so crazy in love with God and his beloved Lady Poverty. As I first began looking at orders, however, the whole hippie tree-hugger Franciscan thing really threw me off so I just assumed that overtime the (active) Franciscan charism had been lost and I'd have to find my religious home elsewhere. Of course, as you all know, there are some beautiful and faithful Franciscan orders out there, and now it seems as though God may be calling me to one of them after all. If I had to sum up in one word what it is I love about the Franciscan charism it would have to be simplicity. And I absolutely love St. Francis' mantra, "My God and my All!"

And finally for ministry, I actually ended up checking just about all of them. Above all, I feel called to work with the poor - but I mean that "Mother Theresa style". Just being with them, loving them, and doing what I can to eradicate suffering. Just about all of the options listed could relate to that in one way or another. And of course I agree with everyone else here who have been saying that without the prayer life, the apostolate falls apart. I could never separate the two!

Hope that wasn't too long - God bless you all, and I look forward to jumping in on some conversations!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='frassati' date='25 July 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1280088114' post='2147927']
Hi everybody, I figure this is a good topic to introduce myself. I just discovered Phatmass a few days ago, and since then I haven't been able to stop reading through VS, and I finally just got to enough posts in other forums to finally be able to post here! I can't believe a community like this exists and I've been so affirmed in my own discernment just by reading through your discussions of the past few weeks. I'm so impressed with the level of charity, honesty, and support that seems to live here.

Hope that wasn't too long - God bless you all, and I look forward to jumping in on some conversations!
[/quote]

I'm so glad you posted! You are welcome here anytime! It is a place of peace and encouragement. Very little debate here.

I don't know how to answer the poll. My body is broken, and my heart has been broken (or I gave it away to the wrong people) so many times that it's in little pieces everywhere, and I spend my time trying to find the pieces and paste them back in. If you see any pieces, send them home. They'll be welcomed like the prodigal son.

I can guess pretty easily what spiritualities I am, but right now, I have the books lying around, but don't have the energy to even open them. But, they are patiently waiting for me.

As for prayer, I don't do enough, and it is unformed and primitive. When I feel really bad, I sing to myself the liturgy from the 1928 Anglican Book of Common Prayer--it's been years since I've heard it, but I still know all the words and the chant. "Oh Lamb of God, that takest away the sins of the world, grant us thy peace."

My mother was the opposite of maternal when I was growing up--she is a good person, but she had other problems and had nothing left over for me (she has changed over the years, but it was too late), so I haven't yet learned to identify with Mary. As a child, I never had a mother (or anyone else) to whom I could trust and go to with my cares--only myself. So, I don't even understand the concept of being able to totally trust anyone. And, the few times I did give up and trust, I was betrayed, most recently by my father when I decided to confide in him. He responded by sending me the most hateful and condemning email I have ever read. He and I haven't spoken in 2 years. I love him, but I am too weak to allow him to hurt me again. Also, I was never able to be a mother myself, although I was married. But, lately, I've decided that my view of Mary is "Our Lady of Peace"--world peace, inner peace, peace and quiet. To be truthful, however, I identify with St. Joseph much more than Mary.

As for my apostolate, it is "little works." I'm not able to get out much, so the best I can do is try to do anonymous nice things for people, or recognize as real people, and compliment those in our lives that we don't usually notice--grocery store checkout clerks, receptionists, etc. (Other than "little works" I don't identify much with the "Little Flower." No religious ecstacies here.) I identify more with the Blessed Pauline who lives across the street in the form of her Sisters, whose original apostolate was very practical--working with the blind and the sick.

I've decided I'm like Moses wandering in the wilderness waiting for years for God to tell me where to go. And, knowing me, if God ever gives me the tablets, I will break them as soon as I get them, and I will lose at least one. Have you heard the "five commandments" recently?

Sorry for being such a downer. I'm going through a very bad time. I should simply stop posting--I'm already sounding like a whiner baby. (I didn't grow up with the concept of "giving it up" so I don't understand the concept, much less be able to do it.) There isn't much I can do--I just have to "wait it out." Part of it is that my body HATES the heat of summer, so I just have to grit my teeth and try to "get by" until October. We had two mild summers, and it spoiled us. This summer in Chicago is NOT mild.

If any of you have prayers to spare for me, they are much needed right now. But, there are others who need prayers far more than I do, so give your prayers where they are most needed. I will get by. I always do. My prayer for myself is that sometime in my life I will have more than "moments" when I do more than just "get by."

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

lookingforfaith

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='30 July 2010 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1280529624' post='2150025']
Sorry for being such a downer. I'm going through a bad time. I should simply stop posting--I'm already sounding like a whiner baby. There isn't much I can do--I just have to "wait it out." Part of it is that my body HATES the heat of summer, so I just have to grit my teeth and try to "get by" until October. We had two mild summers, and it spoiled us. This summer in Chicago is NOT mild.

If any of you have prayers to spare for me, they are much needed right now. But, there are others who need prayers far more than I do, so give them where they are most needed. I will get by. I always do.
[/quote]

:console: please don't stop posting. Everyone goes through hard times yes, but we all need people to help us through them. We are all here to support/pray for you! I will be praying for you. Oh and for the record, you do NOT sound like a whiner baby. You sound like someone going through a rough time right now. I love your posts so don't stop them!!

• 1 month later...

Great poll Joyful Life!

For prayer: [b]Divine Office, songs and poetry to the Lord, and Church prayers

[/b]I absolutely love the Divine Office! I went on a retreat back in June and the vocations director for my diocese said to start praying Lauds and Compline. Compline's my favorite. The phrase "Lord, grant us a peaceful night and a perfect end," resonate in my soul every time. I also like in Lauds "Lord, your blessing, please." The 'please' is the best (probably because, as a Southern girl in the North, l like to hear 'pleases,' especially to God. This is also the only kind of prayer routine I can keep up with. There's enough diversity that there is never the 'automatic' problem.

My family raised me to sing in Church. The old hymns are especially beautiful, I think, when it comes to praising the Lord. There's a saying "When you sing, you pray twice." I always took that to heart. My favorites? [i]Be Thou My Vision[/i], [i]This is My Father's World[/i], and [i]Love Divine, All Loves Excelling[/i].

What's better than a good formal prayer? I like the Je salue Marie, Notre Pere, Mon Ange Gardien, a special prayer to St. Joan of Arc, any many, many more. The idea that someone wrote those prayers and we still pray them fascinates me. It's like being in a spiritual marathon.

And just being in God's presence. My church is over 100 years old. That means it's especially wonderful for contemplation. Just sitting there, in from of Jesus, and letting Him completely in my heart. Such peace, such joy.

[b]DOMINICANS!
[/b]Need I say more? I will, anyway. The Dominicans believe in contemplating God and sharing the fruits of their contemplation. My soul and mind both thirst for the little knowledge of God that they can gain on this earth!

[b]Education
[/b]For me, the best thing that ever happened was my parents putting me in Catholic school. It was there I learned of my vocation. I want to help my students find God's path for them, and teach them of His mercy and love.

:nunpray:
:nun3:

• 6 months later...

This is a really good poll.

I pray the rosary as a start to mental prayer. I tend to get lost in the repetition. The rosary quiets my mind so that my heart can speak. Once I have done that I kneel or prostrate myself and I pray silently and without words, letting my heart speak to God those feelings and thoughts that there are not words to express. I love sitting in the silence and not speaking, but listening to God and His quiet, loving voice. I read spiritual books during the day to keep the prayer going throughout the day. I also go to the chapel a few times a day to just be in His presence.

I am drawn to the Dominican spirituality because it is so contemplative, even in active communities.

I am psychology major and I love working with others to help them overcome their hurdles in life.

MargaretTeresa

This doesn't have Paulines...and I need more education on the different types, but it is mostly Pauline and Camelite and Dominican