An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll: Where Is Your Heart?

Sarah147

Your prayer, spirituality and apostolate:  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello,

Wondering where people are in these areas. Please post as many as fits you and explain.

Thank you for taking part. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

God bless you.

Sister Marie

I put other for spirituality... my community follows an Alphonsian/Redemptorist spirituality.

TeresaBenedicta

Great poll!! Let's see...

Prayer:

I selected [b]Divine Office[/b], [b]Spontaneous[/b], and [b]Just Be In His Presence[/b]. I picked these three because I think they are the heart of my prayer life-- what sustains me and feeds me the most and what I would choose if I had a limited amount of time that I could devout to prayer. But the other options are also a part of my prayer life, to some extent or another. I love the rosary, although I admit I don't pray it as often as I should. Often times I find that Sacred Scripture and/or Spiritual Reading both enter into my prayer life in some capacity. For example, my spontaneous prayer might be centered around what I had read in Scripture or in my Spiritual Reading. I suppose I don't usually read Sacred Scripture or Spiritual Reading [i]during[/i] what I set aside as my prayer time, so I don't necessarily consider them "prayer," although I suppose they are, in and of themselves. Regardless, they certainly enrich my time in prayer.

Church-written prayers come in handy at different times. I don't use them all of the time, but they definitely supplement my prayer life. Every once in a while a particular prayer will strike me and I will pray with it often, to the point where it enters into my spontaneous prayer. The Prayer to the the Holy Trinity by Bl. Elizabeth, for example. I pray with that fairly often. There's a particular section that I pray after receiving Holy Communion. I also like the prayers of St. Thomas Aquinas.

Spirituality:

I picked [b]Dominican[/b], [b]Carmelite[/b], and [b]Marian[/b]. I am very drawn to the Dominican spirituality-- I am a philosopher at heart and I love to study and for my studies to guide me spiritually. I particularly like the "contemplate and share the fruits of our contemplation" theme. I am also very drawn to the Carmelite saints and their writings. I wish I could express exactly what it is about the Carmelite tradition that draws me... it's definitely in the prayer. Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity and St. Teresa of Avila have been huge influences in my prayer. And as for my attraction to Marian spirituality... well, I absolutely love my Mommy!! She's the mother of my vocation and I've entrusted my entire life and all those who are dear to me to the Blessed Mother.

Apostolate:

I picked [b]catechesis[/b], [b]evangelization[/b], and [b]retreat ministry/spirituality[/b]. Again, I think this could be extended to include education and missionary but I went with the first three that stood out in particular to me.

Wow, I'm definitely going to think. I'm pretty sure of what I would post, but I have yet to find an explanation for my answers.
I'll be back!

OnlySunshine

[b]For prayer style, I put:[/b]

Church-written prayer
Scripture
Others songs or poetry to the Lord
Spontaneous
Just be in His Presence, in the silence, in His love

[b]For spirituality:[/b]

Dominican (I love the motto [i]To Pray, To Bless, To Preach[/i]; [i]To Contemplate and Give Others Fruits of that Contemplation[/i])
Marian (I desire my vocation and life to imitate the Blessed Virgin Mary; she is the model of all womanhood!)

[b]For apostolate:[/b]

Evangelization (this includes the teaching ministry of the Nashville Dominicans)
Health/Hospital care (since I am a CNA, I've looked at a few healthcare orders, but haven't felt that certain draw yet)
Catechesis (I believe catechesis could use a few changes; students in CCD are not taught as well as they used to) :ohno:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

laetitia crucis

Okay -- I am back and I have pondered! :lol:

[b]Where does your heart MOST OFTEN go in prayer?[/b] (not in any particular order)

- Office/Liturgy of the Hours
- Scripture
- Spiritual Book
- Spontaneous (speak from the heart)
- Just Be In His Presence, in the silence, in His love

For the most part, I suspect a lot of my "go to" prayer has been influenced by my evangelical protestant upbringing. Though I am not one to spontaneously pray out loud in public, private spontaneous prayer is always my initial response in prayer. I just like (and have a desperate need) to talk to God, Mary, and a slew of Saint friends, in a rather informal way. If there's something I wish to express but cannot find the words, then I turn to various prayers of the Church and her Saints. (There a few that I am [i]quite[/i] fond of and put to memory, like ones by St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Thomas Aquinas.)

Also as a protestant, I would often turn to scripture, especially the Gospels and the Psalms. I've always found the Psalms very edifying and consoling, no matter how I might be feeling. In addition, I find them to be a good source for meditation and contemplation. I am fascinated by them. This then naturally leads to my love of the Divine Office; however, I recognize in myself that I do best when I am able to pray this in a communal setting that includes chanting. Music lifts my heart like nothing else. It takes me beyond myself. I don't know how else to describe that. And to balance that, I have a yearning for silence. To just... [i]be[/i] in His Presence, especially in silent Adoration.

And last, but definitely not least, I must nourish my soul through study as well. (This was pretty much the "Aha!" moment of discerning which charism God has called me to.) Some may find studying is merely a distraction or frustration, but for me, it invigorates my soul. Mostly, it keeps me in a state of "wonder and awe"... Both study and prayer feed off of one another, like adding "fuel to the fire", so to say. And it is in this that I am irresistibly compelled to go forth and share with others what I have learned. It just overflows. Without both study and prayer...all runs dry.

Oh, and I didn't list this option since it's not enough to be considered "most often", but occasionally I am inspired to write spiritual poetry. I don't know if this would be considered "prayer", but I tend to do a lot of "spiritual journaling", or keeping a "prayer journal" as I've heard it called. I guess that's where I spontaneously "talk" to God in writing.

[b]What spirituality are you most drawn to?[/b] (not in any particular order)

- Dominican
- Marian
- Ignatian
- Franciscan

Overall, I would say that the spirituality I am most drawn to is Marian. I wish to live my life under her mantle. She is my joy, my life, my Sweet Mother. If all souls could come to her, she would bring them safely to Jesus, no doubt. Yet, in choosing the other three spiritualities (Dominican, Ignatian, and Franciscan)... I think those provide [i]ways[/i] of bringing Jesus and Mary to souls. As one drawn to Truth like a moth to the light, for as long as I can remember, I've always sought Truth. From what my mother tells me, my first word was "What-that?", soon followed by "Why?" (Hahah!) Unfortunately, I grew up searching in all the wrong places: wicca, New Age, astrology and numerology, tarot cards, etc. (Although, I still professed love and belief in Jesus Christ as the Son of God and my Savior.) Yet, through it all, I was never satisfied nor more enthralled until I opened myself to the Catholic Church, the Fullness of the Faith, the Fullness of Truth.

In my search for Truth, I think perhaps I have taken the "common ground", the "low road" of earthly toil and study, as opposed to the "high road" of mystical contemplation and infused graces. I grappled in reason and logic which led me in nourishing my faith. Reason and faith... they feed off of one another like study and contemplation.

Likewise, Ignatian spirituality helps me to grasp what I have learned (and continue to learn), to put it into everyday practice in a very methodical and realistic way. It is Incarnational, in the sense that all are called to imitate Christ on earth, to make Him present in our daily lives... making each moment a moment of grace. Ignatius' Daily Examen and Discernment of Spirits helps immensely on this path.

Franciscan spirituality draws me for it's simplicity, especially in regards to poverty. It has a very pure and innocent quality which draws me, but I cannot fully explain. It seems somewhat similar to Carmelite spirituality in that regards... particularly Therese's "Little Way", you know? There is what seems to me, a more profound sense of relying on Divine Providence in that respect, at least in my experience visiting various Franciscan communities.

[b]What apostolate are you most drawn to?[/b]

- Catechesis
- Evangelization
- Missionary
- Prayer/Contemplation
- Retreat Ministry/Spirituality

Catechesis, Evangelization, Missionary, and Retreat Ministry/Spirituality all seem to encompass that need to share what grace has given me through study and prayer. I wish not only to bring Divine Truth to others in a rather [i]informal[/i] way, but to walk [i]with them[/i] on that way, if that makes sense. I've always found it really difficult to put into words what apostolate I would be drawn to, but I suppose the options listed might be the best way of explaining it.

And as to prayer/contemplation -- I firmly believe this is where miracles happen and grace is poured out upon all. Without prayer/contemplation, we would surely suffocate in our own works.

Where does your heart most often go in prayer?
*Church-written prayer
*Others songs or poetry to the Lord
*Just be in His Presence, in the silence, in His love.

Singing is my favorite way of prayer and worship. Especially gregorian. That would also include written prayers and worship poetry. I would have liked to answer LOTH here but such activity is way too far away for me to make a habit to pray it at the status quo.

What spirituality are you most drawn to?
*Dominicans
*Carmelite

It isn't a secret that I'm a fan of the Dominicans. St. Dominic, St. Thomas, St. Catherine and the rest of the crew. I like their focus on knowledge. I like systematic theology, and St. Thomas has helped me a great deal with my faith.
The Carmelites are mysterious to me still, as I've never visited them. I'm not sure how to explain this but while the Dominicans are exactly kind of a fit for my personality the Carmelites are kind of the opposite and therefore might have something i need; Something that's in me but I donæt explore too often.

What apostolate are you most drawn to?
*Catechesis
*education
*prayer/contemplation
*retreat/spirituality

And I don't exactly know where to categorize this, but I like youth ministry. I'm quite active when it comes to that.
*prayer/contemplation

Okay, I'm back and I've thought a little bit about my answers.

[b]In prayer I most often go to:

Scripture-[/b] I typically just open up the Bible to some random part and read, or I reflect on the daily readings. I find the Psalms to be very helpful whenever I need to hear... well... just about anything. There is such a variety you can go from singing praises to crushing enemies in two chapters!! :lol_roll: . That's helpful on my moody days. :rolleyes:

[b]Spiritual book- [/b]Usually a book on prayer, or on deepening one's relationship with God. This helps me know what I need to work on and what I should desire in my prayer, how I should pray and how to avoid distractions.

[b]Spontaneous-[/b] sometimes I just blurt out what I'm thinking. Whether it's some spew of gratefulness or just a ranting vent about my life. I feel a lot better after being spontaneous. But I do pray a lot of memorized prayers (Hail Mary, Our Father, etc.) when I'm at a loss of what to say or I'm feeling tempted in one way or another. The Devil doesn't usual listen to me when I say "go away". Hail Mary's send him running.

[b]Just be in His presence, in the silence, in His love- [/b]Adoration is one of my favorites, although I don't do it often enough. His presence is so powerful it permeates all words. I don't need to say anything. It's just Him and me. Just to see Love before me is something that really just turns the way I live each moment around... until I get back into the swing of daily life, where you don't see perfect love.

[b]The spiritualities I'm most drawn to:[/b]

[b]Carmelite- [/b]I'm most drawn to Carmelite spirituality because of the great desire to be in union with God through prayer. Just do dedicating their whole lives to interceding for the needs of the Church and the world is so beautiful to me. Plus Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross are like :love:

[b]Dominican-[/b] I love dominicans period. They are like the vision of religious life. White habits, capes, ya know. I especially love how highly they hold study. I desperately wanted to be a Theology major and thought that being a dominican would go right along those lines. Then I read St. Anthony and St Bonaventure. Let's just say they changed my mind on the style of studying.

[b]Franciscan-[/b] At first I wasn't drawn to Franciscans at all. From what I knew they sounded like tree huggers. Then I met my community and rethought the idea. As I read more about the Franciscan saints (Saint Clare, Saint Anthony, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary) I realized that they I we were very similar in what we desired: simplicity, God's love, and the fact that I would randomly burst into song when I was happy kinda convinced me.

[b]Apostolates I'm most drawn to:

Catechesis-[/b] I enjoy teaching others about the faith, and I find that I learn more as I teach. I just have this string desire to help people to know the truth and therefore get to know God.

[b]Domestic services-[/b] I guess growing up in a home where domestic services would have really helped our family life, I feel drawn to this because I know how many families would be more unified if they had someone helping them. I don't know how I would do it, but I have a strong desire to help families.

[b]Prayer/contemplation[/b]- I've heard countless people tell me how powerful prayer is. I know I can't help physically or spiritually in almost anything compared to the measure that I would like to help, so prayer seems to be the only thing that I can do. It seems helpful on both ends, the more I pray for other people, the more I think of other ways to help them.

What beautiful things to reflect on! And very helpful to discernment. Here's a quick run-down of what I answered:

[b]For prayer:[/b]

I checked everything, including other (as brightsadness pointed out, The Jesus Prayer isn't an option)!
Ideally, I believe to be silent in His Presence is most wonderful, but I love all types of prayer - they're different ways of being with the One I love. :love:

[b]For spirituality:[/b]

Carmelite
Dominican
Carthusian
Marian

...because I love silence, Our Lady, Truth (Our Lord) - & I desire to be completely His. To me, Carmelite spirituality is the way of love. It seems odd to put Carthusian & Dominican spirituality together since one focuses on preaching and the other on silence, but I see Jesus so well in both.

They are all beautiful paths, and I'm thankful the Church has such diversity in devotion.

[b]For apostolate:[/b]

Prayer. When I reflect on it, I'm really not strongly drawn to anything else, although if it's God's Will, I'll do it. Anything can be prayer.

[b]Prayer:

Scripture-[/b] I've started journaling with scripture and have found it to be quite revealing.
[b]Just be in His presence, in the silence, in His love- [/b] Adoration ... there are times I tend not so say much anymore, then there are times (like now) where I just say thanks and am joyfully in His presence

[b]Spiritualities:[/b]

[b]Ignatian- [/b] I'm hooked on the spiritual exercises. I'm waiting for the day where I can do a month long silent retreat.

[b]New order-[/b] I'm still drawn to the spirituality of the order I was last with.

[b]Franciscan-[/b] Lady Poverty, creation, and service to the poor.

[b]Apostolates:

Retreat ministry-[/b] I would one day love to help others through their retreat journey. I also have done music for retreats and find that this is one of the most fulfilling things I have done.

[b]Evangelization-[/b] I've led and helped train door-to-door teams. Loved it. God was so present in those home visits.

[b]Missionary[/b]

I don't remember if I marked other -- but I have been involved heavily in hispanic ministry; and at least while I'm in the US (who knows what God has in store for me) it is where I feel most called, especially as an advocate to those who are afraid to speak up.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='cmariadiaz' date='22 July 2010 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1279848864' post='2146504']
[b]Prayer:

Scripture-[/b] I've started journaling with scripture and have found it to be quite revealing.
[b]Just be in His presence, in the silence, in His love- [/b] Adoration ... there are times I tend not so say much anymore, then there are times (like now) where I just say thanks and am joyfully in His presence

[b]Spiritualities:[/b]

[b]Ignatian- [/b] I'm hooked on the spiritual exercises. I'm waiting for the day where I can do a month long silent retreat.

[b]New order-[/b] I'm still drawn to the spirituality of the order I was last with.

[b]Franciscan-[/b] Lady Poverty, creation, and service to the poor.

[b]Apostolates:

Retreat ministry-[/b] I would one day love to help others through their retreat journey. I also have done music for retreats and find that this is one of the most fulfilling things I have done.

[b]Evangelization-[/b] I've led and helped train door-to-door teams. Loved it. God was so present in those home visits.

[b]Missionary[/b]

I don't remember if I marked other -- but I have been involved heavily in hispanic ministry; and at least while I'm in the US (who knows what God has in store for me) it is where I feel most called, especially as an advocate to those who are afraid to speak up.
[/quote]

I just have to put a plug in for the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. Have you ever discerned with them? I visited them in January this year, and while I knew they weren't for me, they were wonderful! They sound like they have everything you are drawn to. :))