An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children's Liturgy Of The Word

TeresaBenedicta

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TeresaBenedicta

Well, I was just recently hired as a DRE for a nearby parish and under my job description is running the Children's Liturgy of the Word. To be honest, I'm not familiar with the practice. I have seen it done once and it was distracting, but I didn't think much of it since I was a visitor to the parish.

My natural reaction is to be a little wary of the practice, but I'm not sure how well founded that is. All I know is that the parish loves the practice, so even if it were something not so good, it won't be something I can pull right away.

Does the Church support this practice? Are there good reasons for it?

tinytherese

This four page thread discusses the issue. http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=92214 Maybe you could convince your parish to have a liturgy of the word for children before or after mass.

[quote name='tinytherese' date='15 July 2010 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1279244458' post='2143232']
. . . Maybe you could convince your parish to have a liturgy of the word for children before or after mass.
[/quote]
That is the best solution to the problem, because it does not involve tampering with the Church's liturgical tradition.

Just thought I would say that again. :D

I stand by what I said in the other thread:

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='29 March 2009 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1238378687' post='1819996']
The liturgy of the Word and the liturgy of the Eucharist form an integral whole, i.e., they form a single act of worship of the one body of Christ in a given locality; and so to divide up the liturgical synaxis after this single act of worship has begun makes no logical sense, and is in fact contrary to Tradition.

Any special "study session" for children that is focused upon the liturgical readings should be done either before or after the divine liturgy, and not during it.
[/quote]

IcePrincessKRS

I've never been a fan of it, and when we go to parishes that have it my children stay in the pew with me. Where they belong. :saint:

MissScripture

I would agree that it's something that shouldn't really be done. However, from a standpoint of not getting everyone up in arms the first day on the job, I'd say slowly cutting back on it would make sense, like start making it once a month or something (or at the very least, only one Mass, if it is at multiple).

It doesn't make sense to me, because if parents are to be the first teachers of their children, then why are we taking the kids away from the parents during the Mass, with the parents not really having any idea what is being taught to their children. I also find it highly annoying when kids who are old enough to sit and listen at Mass, and actually understand a lot of it are leaving, and then coming back with "children's bulliten's" that they proceed to sit and do for the rest of Mass (although, that's more of the parent not telling them to knock it off, really, than the fault of children's liturgy of the word).

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='15 July 2010 - 07:02 PM' timestamp='1279234939' post='2143160']
Well, I was just recently hired as a DRE for a nearby parish and under my job description is running the Children's Liturgy of the Word. To be honest, I'm not familiar with the practice. I have seen it done once and it was distracting, but I didn't think much of it since I was a visitor to the parish.

My natural reaction is to be a little wary of the practice, but I'm not sure how well founded that is. All I know is that the parish loves the practice, so even if it were something not so good, it won't be something I can pull right away.

Does the Church support this practice? Are there good reasons for it?
[/quote]

People who argue for it would say that canon law states that children do not reach the age of reason until the age of seven and it isn't until they reach seven that there is any moral obligation on their part to attend weekly mass. So taking them out for a more simplified version isn't an abuse or a bad thing. The children must return prior to the beginning of the liturgy of the Eucharist. (not for them obviously but out of respect for the liturgy)

For the record, I'm not a big fan but I don't think its the worst thing in the world.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Who expects children (in general) to sit still anywhere? Why are we surprised when they fidget at Mass? Isn't that Eucharist still the Eucharist and the Word of God still proclaimed at Mass, even if the children don't pay attention to everything and look around and count the blue parts to the stain glassed windows (there were 144 blue parts at the Church attached to my Catholic Elementary School)? Heaven forbid, we expect parents to explain the readings or something to their children (or do some investigation themselves) if the children don't get it or perhaps read and reflect on the readings before or after mass as a family. I mean, obviously these parents care enough to bring the children to Church, maybe they should take an active role in instilling religious values in their children (that they obviously want them to have or else the parents wouldn't bring their kids to Church), rather than simply sitting their kids in a pew, hoping their kids will absorb religion through osmosis, and expecting the Mass to entertain kids who are used to watching cartoons and would probably rather be out playing? Not that I am saying that bringing the kids to Mass is a bad thing. It is a good [b][i]FIRST[/i][/b] step. Idea for a second step: let them be present for the fullness of the divine liturgy in its entirety, so that they may come to understand the whole context of the Mass (as their attention span grows and as things are explained to them). Just some thoughts

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' date='17 July 2010 - 07:04 AM' timestamp='1279346699' post='2143846']
Who expects children (in general) to sit still anywhere? Why are we surprised when they fidget at Mass? Isn't that Eucharist still the Eucharist and the Word of God still proclaimed at Mass, even if the children don't pay attention to everything and look around and count the blue parts to the stain glassed windows (there were 144 blue parts at the Church attached to my Catholic Elementary School)? Heaven forbid, we expect parents to explain the readings or something to their children (or do some investigation themselves) if the children don't get it or perhaps read and reflect on the readings before or after mass as a family. I mean, obviously these parents care enough to bring the children to Church, maybe they should take an active role in instilling religious values in their children (that they obviously want them to have or else the parents wouldn't bring their kids to Church), rather than simply sitting their kids in a pew, hoping their kids will absorb religion through osmosis, and expecting the Mass to entertain kids who are used to watching cartoons and would probably rather be out playing? Not that I am saying that bringing the kids to Mass is a bad thing. It is a good [b][i]FIRST[/i][/b] step. Idea for a second step: let them be present for the fullness of the divine liturgy in its entirety, so that they may come to understand the whole context of the Mass (as their attention span grows and as things are explained to them). Just some thoughts
[/quote]
Some good points, I think. I also encourage my son to whisper questions and comments to me, and I point things out to him. I tell him we're quiet in the sanctuary because Jesus is there, but that if he needs to ask/comment, he can whisper it to me. When he gets older I may have him write down any questions or comments so we can go over them afterwards. He doesn't sit still, and I don't require it so long as he is staying beside me instead of trying to run around (hardest to keep him from doing this during the Sign of Peace). I do want to start going over the readings more with him. We usually read one of the readings before bed, but we should start explaining it a little more, I think.

tinytherese

This looks like a good resource for a sunday school. http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Childrens-Liturgy-Book-Liturgies/dp/0896226956/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279397562&sr=1-1

There's also The Great Adventure Bible Timeline specifically for Children, though I'm not sure what ages would be appropriate for it. http://www.ascensionpress.com/shop/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=502

I also feel this practise is wrong, on many fronts. As mentioned here it takes away from a parents responsibilities as teacher for their child. I would think a child that is not used to listening to their parents, or more used to listening to other authority figures like a teacher or a babysitter, will never become accustomed to listening to a parent.

Many times unruly kids are enabled by a parent, I have noticed the snack parents always have kids bouncing around, even the ones who carry the little bag of goldfish crackers but especially the ones who carry sweetened treats like cheerios or frosted mini wheats, the kids get one the first time they stir, eat it and wind up fidgeting each time they want another. The talking parents usually start the kids talking, and they do not distinguish as well as adults how to whisper and when its not at all appropriate, although I do feel no time during mass is good for discussion. The lift the kids up parents usually start the kid reacting to being set down when their arm gets tired, or worse when they have two or more around the same age who want lifted.

Like in any family there are the little angels and the full gamut of bad actors, what can you do, just ignore them because you have to love your family and realize that Jesus must be smiling at the actions of the true innocents who are in his house.

ed