An Old School Catholic Message Board

When You've Found *the* Order... What's Involved In Entering?

Sarah147

Hello.

I've just been wondering, once you've found the order you have discerned is THE ONE for you, what steps do you take and the order as well? What's the "application" consist of? What affairs do you have to get in order and lose ends to tie up before officially walking into the place for you and "happily ever after"? How do you make the transition of leaving those you strongly love that are regularly in your life? Please share what you applicants, religious, and friends/family of religious have learned.

God bless you.

laetitia crucis

Ooooh -- good questions!

I'll be back *hopefully) this evening to answer from my experience. I look forward to hearing from others, too. :)

Sister Andrew

so, here's my take...(I am a junior professed religious sister [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/bye.gif[/img] ). I'll mostly speak of my own experience realizing that it can vary by community and each individual situation! Our application consists of several steps. After you've been in touch with the community and the vocation director and it has been decided to go ahead first you have to write an autobiography. At first I thought this would be hard but the hard part for me was keeping to the page limit (it's not suppose to have EVERYTHING in it but the main points :) ). Then usually there are all the doctors visits, you'll get a list of doctors you need to see or tests and immunization you have to be current on. There are interviews with some Sisters, some I already knew like the vocation director and postulant formator and other Sisters in vocation or formation work and then there's the pyschological testing. All along the way you're in contact with the vocation director and continuing to relflect and discern where God is leading you. Whew! Hope I didn't bore you! Now next quesiton!

I didn't have a lot of lose ends to tie up because I entered a few months after my college graduation. I had to sell my car and sell some of my furniture that my family didn't want or need. The most difficult thing for me was that I couldn't find a job for the summer because I was "overqualified" because I had my bachlors degree! But because I didn't have a job I had a lot of time to go through my stuff and hang out with different friends and I could spend more time in prayer than if I had a job so it really was a blessing! When I first entered I still had my bank account and some things at home that my mom let me keep there. (I actually still have stuff at my moms house! Next time I visit I have a big job to do in cleaning out the closet! :) )

The transition was hard for me but it was balanced by the joy I had because I was FINALLY there! I had moments of homesickness, especially around the holidays! But the sisters and my fellow postulants were a big help. A quote I heard one time that has always stayed with me is "Community is a place where joys are multiplied and sorrows are divided" and in my experience so far this is incredibly true!
I do miss people that I used to be very close to, like my roommates from college. The hardest thing is not being able to be at their big events like wedding and their childrens baptisms. But they keep me posted and I try to write them when I can. While those friendships aren't the same as they used to me I have gained a whole group of Sisters to share life with and there is NEVER a dull moment!
Just remember transistion takes time. It's normal to get homesick (even if you never thought you'd be) and God has an adventure planned for all of us where ever He calls us!

I hope that wasn't too much of a ramble! Feel free to ask questions or PM me!
peace,
Sr. Andrew

laetitia crucis

In my experience with my former community and the one I will be entering in October, I've found both "steps of entrance" to be quite different. I'll try to be brief as it's rather late and past my bedtime. :snore: :lol:

[u]Former community[/u] (at the time, I believed it was "The One"):
1. Made contact with community.
2. Spoke with the vocation director on one occasion.
3. Came for a silent retreat, but arrived a few days early and stayed a few days late to have an informal "Come and See".
4. Asked to enter via phone call the day I left from my visit.
5. Three days later (literally) I received a phone call back from the VD saying I could enter in two months.

We didn't have an official application (although I believe the application process has changed quite a bit within the past two years or so), and it seems that other Sisters in my class had similar experiences to mine in this regard. A few had never even visited -- they had only seen the website and spoken with the VD on the telephone before entering. My first time meeting the VD in person was when I had finally arrived at the novitiate house. :)

Similar to Sr. Andrew, I had also entered right after graduating from college. I didn't have too many loose ends to tie up, but I did end up giving away almost everything I owned -- either to friends and family or Goodwill. I kept only what I would be bringing to the convent.

The few months before I entered was spent trying to give things away and hang out with friends and family. And watch the entire [i]X-Files[/i] series. :hehe:

For me the transition was really easy. Almost too easy, I suppose. I was on Cloud Nine for a very long time. :cloud9: However, like Sr. Andrew, I really missed those friends I had grown very close to while in college. If you could call anyone "soul sisters" or "kindred spirits", that we were.

---

[u]Soon-to-be Community[/u]:
1. Made contact via telephone several times.
2. Visited for a few weeks.
3. Wrote an official letter stating my desire to discern with the community and asking permission to try my vocation there.
4. Needed to send in various things with the application packet: medical forms from my general physician and dentist stating good health; medical details form; psychological evaluation; copies of Sacramental certificates; copies of education transcripts; work experience (curriculum vitae); and letters of recommendation from two priests.
5. Waited several weeks for the decision of the Sisters after a Chapter Meeting.
6. Set entrance date.
7. Bought plane ticket.
8. Trying to attain a Visa and raise funds for the dowry.

Normally, one who wishes to enter my future community would need to visit at least two times before submitting an official letter asking for entrance. Then one would go for a thorough psychological evaluation. Since I live so far away and financially cannot afford multiple plane tickets, I was allowed an extended visit.

This time around, the most difficult thing for me has been the necessary paperwork for immigration and fund raising. I thank God (and am still shocked) for the alleviation of my school loans! (That was a huge relief and help!) I've been able to raise funds for the plane ticket and the Visa. Now all I have to take care of is the dowry (with the current exchange rate, it's approximately $4,000USD) which will help cover any health expenses, study materials, habit materials, and basic needs during my first three years in initial formation, that is, until First Vows.

Fortunately, this time around I don't have nearly as much "stuff" as I had last time. And well, I'm planning on leaving all that I've acquired (which isn't much at all since leaving the other community) at my mother's house, or I'll give some things away to friends as "going away" gifts. I mean, practically speaking, what if this really isn't "The One" and I come back? At least this time I'll have clothes to wear. :sweat: (Although, I sincerely hope this is God's will for me and I'll never need anything I'll be leaving at my mother's house again.)

In regards to the transitioning... I think this time might be quite a bit more difficult than the previous time. In my former community, we were allowed to write letters to anyone whenever we found the time. We were also able to receive letters from anyone at any time. In my future community, I think for the first three years (pre-Vows), I'll have somewhat limited contact with my friends and family. I'll be able to receive letters from whoever, whenever, but I won't be able to write letters except once a month to family, and perhaps twice a year or so to friends (which I do hope to be able to write to my dear VSers!) After Vows, I do believe I'll have access to e-mail, or I'll at least be able to write more frequently to whoever. ^_^

As silly as this might sound, I watched [i]LOTR: Return of the King[/i] tonight and found this quote to be quite accurate in expressing my experience this time around...

[quote]How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on... when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back? There are somethings that time cannot mend... some hurts that go too deep... that have taken hold.[/quote]

Frodo, you speak my heart.

Somehow... as I prepare to leave my friends and family this time, I feel as though I'll be stepping onto the White Ship headed to the Undying Lands.

I'm sure Bilbo would find it quite the adventure. ;)

Sister Andrew

Oh...I really like that quote from LOTR! It is interesting to hear about different communities ways of handling things.
Prayers for you as you try to get the funds together for your dowry.

Something I forgot to mention...We were asked, if we were able, to bring some funds with us to help cover some expenses especially during the time of postulancy. This was a big stress for me because I didn't have much extra money before I entered! My parish did have some fundraisers for me and they were very generous in their donations! But I also know that no one would be turned away if they didn't have enough money (we just can't have any debt!)

OK, that's all for now!

peace!

With the community I'm interested in I keep in touch by writing, and have made one visit because it's far. The next step would be to do a three month live in where I don't have to get rid of any belongings. I would be living in the cloister though and would leave after the set time. If the live in went well, and both they and I agreed, I could request to enter as a postulant. I'm sure there are all kinds of physical and mental tests and papers i'd have to hand in too but no dowry :thumbsup:

What kind of psychological tests are you required to take? MMPI? I ask because when I was a sophomore in college I wanted to be a doctor but wasn't doing well enough in chemistry for med school. Before changing my major to accounting I remember taking some sort of career test that was supposed to tell you what kinds of careers you were most suited for. Navy officer came out on top for me and, to be perfectly honest, religious life (or some kind of "career" like that - I don't remember what it really was) came out dead last. I do remember that little fact because at that time I had absolutely no interest in a vocation - I never even went to church, didn't own a rosary and had a semi-serious boyfriend. I mentioned this to my SD and he said not to worry but I do. As I have indicated before, he really doesn't know too much about communities of nuns other than the one to which his sister belongs. Now I have something else to worry about in addition to food.

Sister Andrew

Don't worry about the psychological testing. It's not a "career test" or something like that. I don't remember the names of the tests I took. But I know part of it just seemed like common sense stuff to me. I think one reason for it is to just make sure your making this decision to enter religious life freely, and that you're not really unbalanced mentally.
Each community is different and I would talk openly with a vocation director or spiritual director about your hesitations about the test if it looks like you might be taking them. I know I was a little nervous before I took mine just because it was something unknown to me! Be at peace!

Feel free to message me with specific questions if you wish!
peace,
Sr. Andrew

[quote name='ksterling' date='16 July 2010 - 12:16 PM' timestamp='1279293398' post='2143426']
What kind of psychological tests are you required to take? MMPI? ...[/quote]

Here is a site about the tests on a psychological: [url="http://www.brainsource.com/nptests.htm"]http://www.brainsource.com/nptests.htm[/url]

I've had a neuropsychological a few months ago, and I don't know if that's the same sort of thing. It included an IQ test, too. There were puzzle parts, where you are shown a picture and have to match the image made. That was rather fun. There were reading parts where they test if you got the main points about it. A computer test where you have to click the mouse for every letter except X (this tests attention/impulsivity). A computer personality test with tons of questions. And I'm not sure what the other tests were. There is a memory test, too, but he excluded it for me. I had it for my emotional/mental weakness, not for any convent, and interestingly it didn't even show up on the test (it only confirmed my ADHD.) Hopefully this will be a good thing for trying to enter somewhere. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='ksterling' date='16 July 2010 - 11:16 AM' timestamp='1279293398' post='2143426']
What kind of psychological tests are you required to take? MMPI? I ask because when I was a sophomore in college I wanted to be a doctor but wasn't doing well enough in chemistry for med school. Before changing my major to accounting I remember taking some sort of career test that was supposed to tell you what kinds of careers you were most suited for. Navy officer came out on top for me and, to be perfectly honest, religious life (or some kind of "career" like that - I don't remember what it really was) came out dead last. I do remember that little fact because at that time I had absolutely no interest in a vocation - I never even went to church, didn't own a rosary and had a semi-serious boyfriend. I mentioned this to my SD and he said not to worry but I do. As I have indicated before, he really doesn't know too much about communities of nuns other than the one to which his sister belongs. Now I have something else to worry about in addition to food.
[/quote]

These are the tests I was given:

- Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory - 2nd Ed. (MMPI-2)
- Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory III (MCMI-III)
- The Rorschach Inkblot Test (Rorschach)
- Rotter Incomplete Sentence Black (RISB)

The testing was pretty much a whole-day event. Overall, I found it fairly enjoyable -- I've always been one to enjoy tests/exams. :nerd:

And as odd or geeky as this might sound, I was quite amused and happy about being able to take the famous "inkblot test". (I saw a lot of symmetrical butterflies and bunnies. :hippie: :lol: )

There was also a rather thorough "clinical interview" where I basically told my "life story" and "vocation story".

My advice (if you one day are asked for a psychological evaluation) would be just as Sr. Andrew said: not to worry about it! :) A lot of it really was common sense stuff. Some were obvious repeats of questions to be sure you were being consistent with your answers. The MMPI-2 and MCMI-III were both multiple-choice "fill in the bubble" tests. The MMPI-2 had nearly 800 questions, I think. And the MCMI-III was about half that. For both of these, I was in a well lit room by myself, as well as for the RISB. (Fortunately, I was allowed water breaks and bathroom breaks. :hehe: )

Honestly, there's no need to be anxious about it. :console: Some of the questions for the MCMI-III were pretty obviously checking for various psychological disorders like OCD, schizophrenia, bi-polar/manic depression, and histrionic personality types. I found some of them rather amusing. If you are of sound mind, there is no need to fret. :)

• 2 weeks later...

VERY detailed list of information about what is needed of an entrant. I've never seen an order post like this before.

[url="http://www.sjcqc.edu.ph/sfic/vocation.html"]http://www.sjcqc.edu.ph/sfic/vocation.html[/url]